Electronic balance wheel

Electronic balance wheel

Postby DocKlock » May 13th 2017, 6:49am

Just picked up a Timex Electric watch in decent condition for $5.50. While it's not the Dnyabeat, it is the Electric model. It's really a neat watch, working and keeping time.
While some of the these in pristine shape are north of a couple of hundred, many can be found for under $20.
I've got my eye on a Dnyabeat now for a ridiculous low amount.
Still doing research on these and didn't even know something like this existed ---- till I found one.
Any one else have any experience with these????
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Electronic balance wheel

Postby gerdson » May 13th 2017, 7:12am

I had two vintage Tissot with this kind of escapement once. Sold them again without even looking for a battery.

Check this:

http://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/quartz-control-with-balance/
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » May 13th 2017, 8:58am

Thanks for info. I think Timex is probably the least expensive vintage ones. It's just amazing, at least to me, to get these oldie's going again. Some that are advertised as "not working" and MAY just need a new battery and a good 'slap or two' to get the balance wheel going. Sadly most of the ones I'm looking at are "not working" and I'm not about to buy them with the hope of slapping the dickens out of them to see if they'll work.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » May 13th 2017, 3:11pm

I had a couple that worked when I got them but stopped after a few months. New battey didn't revive them. I have no idea what happened to them. It's been a couple years since I last saw them.
Here's one sporting another "blast from the past"

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby DocKlock » May 14th 2017, 4:43am

I believe that one is nicknamed the "telephone dial" ----- that comes from an era most young people and many others have no idea what a 'dial' is on a telephone.
Love those calendars that were fairly common for watches without a day/date.
Forty to fifty years on these watches certainly takes a toll on them. They were kinda delicate to begin with.
Many were probably shoved in a drawer when the battery went, which didn't last very long anyway. I've seen very few that had an immaculate crystals on them, unless NOS for 2-3 large.
That's why I would never pay much more than $20 for one and it would have to be running and in decent shape.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Timex