Even Timex Wanna Be Hip

Even Timex Wanna Be Hip

Postby TemerityB » January 15th 2014, 4:04pm

Cripes. Whatever happened to simply telling us what a product is made of and what it does, instead of building BS "images" for everything from watches to canned ham?

For decades, Timex has been promoted with the theme “It takes a licking and keeps on ticking” and variants like “Life is ticking” and, most recently, “Love what makes them tick.” Now, time has run out on the venerable slogan and its descendants as Timex takes a new tack that reflects the changing role of watches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/busin ... .html?_r=0
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Even Timex Wanna Be Hip

Postby foghorn » January 15th 2014, 4:40pm

Fuck these fucking statements..

“these days you don’t need a watch anymore to tell the time,” Mr. Marai says. “You wear a watch because it is an expression of yourself, your status, and eventually it can tell you the time.”
bullshit

“It’s an iconic American brand,” he adds, “a brand with substance and meaning” that lasts. Mr. Sayers likens Timex to a brand like Red Wing footwear.

red wings are like the rolex of the workboot world. I don't like the comparison

There are people who wear the watch even when the battery is off, because they like to wear it,” he adds, and it “fits with your look, your mood.”

This refers to fucking morons.

Mr. Marai recounts how when he wants to show his daughter, who is 21, a prototype watch, she asks if it will “fit with the way” she is dressed.

Once, when he told her a prototype was not working, he says, she replied, “Who cares?”

case in point

Mr. Marai says, because “regardless of price point,” buyers do not want a watch that is not reliable.

Wait...but you said there are people that don't give a shit if the watch even works
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby AJC » January 15th 2014, 4:49pm

There are people who wear the watch even when the battery is off, because they like to wear it,” he adds, and it “fits with your look, your mood.”

Bullshit. I put on a timex this morning to wear to work and noticed it was running very slowly. I didn't keep it on because it fit my look. I took that motherfucker off because the goddamn time is wrong and that's why I wear a fucking watch to work in the first place. Fuck you you fucking fucks.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » January 15th 2014, 4:58pm

FFS.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » January 15th 2014, 8:30pm

jason_recliner wrote:FFS.

FFS is right!

WTF is wrong with watch companies?

BTW, this could be a man, he/she is so heavily photoshopped...

On the other hand, this girl has that "I am about to receive the cock" look. But damn she has huge fucking hands!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » January 15th 2014, 9:03pm

Timex can go after the puffy coat and Italian loafer crowd. The TeeVee brands already have the wifebeater and sweats crowd covered.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Luftwafflles » January 16th 2014, 1:02pm

Nothing new about bullshit elitist advertising. Lexus and Mercedes are marketed based on their status more than their engineering. Considering that we humans live a relatively short time, all the while urinating,, defecating, and fornicatiing like the hairless apes we are, elitism is an amusing delusion.
I woke up this morning to discover a photo of myself sleeping. I live alone.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » January 16th 2014, 3:27pm

foghorn wrote:There are people who wear the watch even when the battery is off, because they like to wear it,” he adds, and it “fits with your look, your mood.”

Well, that certainly explains why people wear Invicters... after all, the broken ones are accurate twice a day.

Come to think of it, that's doing better than the nonbroken ones...
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Timex