Timex Intelligent Quartz

Timex Intelligent Quartz

Postby foghorn » October 28th 2011, 4:34pm

I saw this line mentioned at WUS and checked out Amazon and saw that they had a bunch of models available. Before I pulled the trigger I went to the local Nordstrum to have a look in person. All they had were the World Time models and I found them to be rough to read,went home,looked at Amazon again, and said WTF Xmas is coming and this might be the last chance to get something for myself and I was getting itchy. I have more than enough "serious" watches so might as well have some fun ferChrissakes!!

These "Intelligent Quartz" models, for the most part are just TX movements in more pedestrian clothes and,subsequently, less money.

I imagine the TX line was a bit expensive in the eyes of many WIS for a Timex so they lost the sapphire crystal,downgraded the straps,made the cases and dials a little less fancy, and also charge a lot less for he same movements. (which are very cool)

This particular model is the "flyback" chrono version and Timex did a great job altering the typical chrono layout.

The retrograde minute counter is on the lower right and measures in 10 minute increments before beginning the next 10 minute segment. Each time the minute counter returns to zero and begins another 10 minute cycle the chrono hour hand advances 1 click. There are 6 clicks between hours so you can do the math. The chrono hour hand has two scales as it also is the (indepenent) 24 hr/second timezone hand. When the chrono is not running the hand returns to tracking the second time zone.

The chrono second hand moves in 1/5 second intervals giving a "smooth" running look.

The watch has a solid feel and the silicon bracelet on this model is very pliable and comfortable-not at all cheap feeling. It has 2 keepers and has small "guards" to keep the first keeper in place.

WR to 100 meters and approx 40 mm w/out the crown.

Apparently there are 4 independent motors controlling the various functions.

The date is at 2:30 which isn't as awkward as it sounds.

It's a fun watch and before the Chuck Fina clan chimes in,YES, made in China.(It doesn't say so like other Timexes but I'm pretty sure!)

I have no problem with that as far as this impressive Timex is concerned.

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Timex Intelligent Quartz

Postby mrneddles » October 28th 2011, 5:35pm

I like it, and just in time for Halloween. I wish it didnt have "Intelligent Quartz" on the dial. Makes all the other watches in the room feel dumb.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby TRU-LYE » October 28th 2011, 5:40pm

To be honest i like it that its tight.. Only thing i would like to see is it on leather..
TRU-LYE
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 28th 2011, 5:56pm

TRU-LYE wrote:To be honest i like it that its tight.. Only thing i would like to see is it on leather..

Some do come on leather. I'll probably try a different strap on it after a bit.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » October 29th 2011, 2:11am

It looks pretty cool, a Ronda movement perhaps?... what was the price?
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby nhsmitty » October 29th 2011, 3:55am

Nice.
nhsmitty
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 29th 2011, 4:23am

eddiea wrote:It looks pretty cool, a Ronda movement perhaps?... what was the price?

It's Timexes own movement design but certainly put together in China where,I believe, all of their manufacturing is now done. The entire line of IQ watches are under 200.00 as opposed to the 300+ for the TX watches.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby sandoz » October 29th 2011, 6:20am

Fog wrote:
The watch has a solid feel and the silicon bracelet on this model is very pliable and comfortable-not at all cheap feeling.
Nice looking watch. Good pick. I have 3 timexes. The only thing cheap feeling about them is their price.
sandoz

Return to Timex