What? A Timex? Are ya fucking kidding me?

What? A Timex? Are ya fucking kidding me?

Postby WatchDorks.Net » June 20th 2011, 4:52pm

Yes, that's right. I bought a Timex. Well, sort of.

TX, aka Technoluxury, was (is?) Timex's attempt to enter the upscale market. This one caught my eye over at WUS, and the price was right ($115 shipped). I assume that, like most Timex product, it's made in China.

The model is TX730, a flyback chronograph with compass. I'm not sure how useful a compass really is... more of a neat doodad for those of us who never venture into the wilderness. Once calibrated, it appears to be reasonably accurate.

It came with both a rubber and leather strap. As expected, the straps are designed for the more slender of wrist; I'm using the end notch on both straps (8.25-inch wrist).

Black outer bezel edge to outer bezel edge it's exactly 40mm; with bezel gears and crown you're at 50mm east to west. Dial opening is 34mm. The dial contrast is excellent, with the black skeletonized hands and orange tips offset nicely against the satin silver dial. The dial is a bit busy at a glance though.

One complaint: the ratcheting bezel is TIGHT. You have to exert some serious torque to move the thing.

Specs:

Fly-back chronograph (1/5 of a second up to 4 hours) hand, 10 minute lower hand and 4 hour upper hand
Electronic compass with magnetic declination compensation - Accurate to +/- 10 degrees
Second time zone
Tachymeter
Proprietary six-hand movement
Sculpted dial
Sapphire crystal

Overall it's a neat diversion from the norm. At the original $400-600 MSRPs, hell no, but as the TX models show up at clearance and the secondary market for $100-150, I think they're worth considering. There's a linear chronograph model that I wouldn't mind owning.

Previous seller's pics (I'm just too fucking lazy to take pics tonight):

Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Re: What? A Timex? Are ya fucking kidding me?

Postby mrneddles » June 20th 2011, 4:56pm

The case design and finish look great for a $100 watch. Well done.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » June 20th 2011, 5:08pm

I've got one - Not a bad watch at all.
Paid a little more at a Nordstrom Rack.

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Guest » June 20th 2011, 5:44pm

Strange I haven't seen the word TIMEPIECE mention in this thread

Postby boscoe » June 20th 2011, 6:12pm

Looks most excellent.
Let us know if it takes a lickin
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » June 20th 2011, 6:16pm

What is wrong with a timex?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Seattle » June 20th 2011, 6:17pm

Actually a nice looking watch! And will probably keep working long after the last Invicta finally loses it's hands.
Seattle
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » June 20th 2011, 6:22pm

koimaster wrote:What is wrong with a timex?

Well, you know... certain parties here start foaming at the mouth any time someone says anything positive about a watch that might be Asian made.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby timc. » June 20th 2011, 6:30pm

timex kicks ass, my timex electric still running 41 yrs. after it was made. given to me from my dad. he told me he bought it at an A&P in 1970... imagine that, grocery stores used to sell watches.... nice watch
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Guest » June 20th 2011, 6:35pm

timc. wrote:timex kicks ass, my timex electric still running 41 yrs. after it was made. given to me from my dad. he told me he bought it at an A&P in 1970... imagine that, grocery stores used to sell watches.... nice watch

The reason still running after 41 years is Becouse it was not Chinese made. the timex of present day is a different story,Fuck china.

Postby timc. » June 20th 2011, 6:50pm

yea, I know...old timex kicks ass. everything made these days are disposable, except for fine timepieces. hopefully our modern watches will last for decades. something to leave for our kids.
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » June 20th 2011, 6:51pm

Slowpo wrote:The reason still running after 41 years is Becouse it was not Chinese made. the timex of present day is a different story,Fuck china.

Your honor, the prosocution rests.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » June 20th 2011, 7:19pm

WatchDorks.Net wrote:
koimaster wrote:What is wrong with a timex?

Well, you know... certain parties here start foaming at the mouth any time someone says anything positive about a watch that might be Asian made.

Yeah I know. I guess people forget that the Japanese make great watches, that the Chinese Sea-gull is a reliable workhorse and that their upper end models rival many "swiss" watches. Next time someone comments on their TV or Ipad, they should figure out it is made in china.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Watch Noob » June 21st 2011, 3:42am

Making TV sets and making watches are (2) different animals. Just because Ferrari makes a great race car, do you want them building your next computer?
Oh, and fuck China.
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby kevco » June 21st 2011, 4:50am

I wonder how these will end up compared to the Helix brand?
kevco
Master of Time

Postby RatRacer » June 21st 2011, 5:05am

kevco wrote:I wonder how these will end up compared to the Helix brand?

They might have a chance if they don't display them in a case sandwiched between DKNY and Marc Eckō like I had seen done with Helix seen before their demise.
RatRacer

Postby koimaster » June 21st 2011, 5:11am

Watch Noob wrote:Making TV sets and making watches are (2) different animals. Just because Ferrari makes a great race car, do you want them building your next computer?
Oh, and fuck China.

I think you have a need for a chinese hooker. Your package should be there today. I put something extra in there for you, a JS GI joe doll and ripitron pin-up.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Falstaff » June 21st 2011, 5:16am

Both Timex TX and Casio's Edifice lines have drawn my favorable attention. Not willing to pop $400 - $500 for 'em though. As 'Dorks did (and nicely, too), maybe secondary market is the way to go. What I'm actually looking for is a serious solar atomic to get me through the coming zombie apocalypse.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Watch Noob » June 21st 2011, 5:39am

koimaster wrote:
Watch Noob wrote:Making TV sets and making watches are (2) different animals. Just because Ferrari makes a great race car, do you want them building your next computer?
Oh, and fuck China.

I think you have a need for a chinese hooker. Your package should be there today. I put something extra in there for you, a JS GI joe doll and ripitron pin-up.

lol, nice. that should provide hours of enjoyment!
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby Hawk » June 21st 2011, 5:51am

koimaster wrote:
Oh, and fuck China.

No need to go professional.

Credit to Tyson Bowers III ('cuz I sure don't want it):

Foreign invaders are trying to penetrate our beautiful God given land by way of promises of a submissive and obedient house wife. You see, modern American women have been brainwashed into thinking they are equals to males and they think they can leave the house and pursue careers. While doing this they leave the American household empty and cold. No dishes are done, dinner is made in a microwave, children grow up without mother figures and the common wife is now known to be 87% more likely to have cheating affairs.

The communist Chinese have caught onto this disruption of the American home and are now showboating their unwanted female population at American men. They promise if they pay for their green card they in return will be perfect house wifes. They promise they will fulfill any needs the man wants and will keep their mouths shut and kitchens clean.

Here is the danger my friends. Commies and especially their female breed are vile creators. They all plot the destruction of American from within. As Abe Lincoln said, America can only be destroyed from within and the Chinese know this, as they failed to take over America in the 1940′s, when they attacked Pearl Harbor. So instead of sending death gliders over, they want to send death concubines to take over the role of the American housewife. They want them to raise your children learning their high pitched ugly language and teach them to hate anything Red, White and Blue.

So before you are sucked into sites that promise “American love for 5 dorrah”, remember, you could be importing a possible terrorist and by doing so, you yourself are a part of the downfall of America.

Don’t be tempted by blogs or dating sites that show off plump breasted, model typed oriental females, Yes, their skin is smooth and their almond eyes are quite alluring. But, the knife they want to wield into the back of America is not worth it and your soul will burn in hell for all of eternity if you fiddle around with these yellow, American hating prostitutes.

Tyson Bowers III
Youth Pastor

My thanks to Slowpo and Noob for defusing these walking bombs to the extent they are able.

For the benefit of PC lurkers, Tyson Bowers III operates a parody site. It's important to note this as otherwise someone will feel compelled to point out that the Chinese didn't, in actual point of fact, bomb Pearl Harbor. So far as you know.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » June 21st 2011, 6:36am

Hawk wrote:
koimaster wrote:
Oh, and fuck China.

No need to go professional.

Credit to Tyson Bowers III ('cuz I sure don't want it):

Foreign invaders are trying to penetrate our beautiful God given land by way of promises of a submissive and obedient house wife. You see, modern American women have been brainwashed into thinking they are equals to males and they think they can leave the house and pursue careers. While doing this they leave the American household empty and cold. No dishes are done, dinner is made in a microwave, children grow up without mother figures and the common wife is now known to be 87% more likely to have cheating affairs.

The communist Chinese have caught onto this disruption of the American home and are now showboating their unwanted female population at American men. They promise if they pay for their green card they in return will be perfect house wifes. They promise they will fulfill any needs the man wants and will keep their mouths shut and kitchens clean.

Here is the danger my friends. Commies and especially their female breed are vile creators. They all plot the destruction of American from within. As Abe Lincoln said, America can only be destroyed from within and the Chinese know this, as they failed to take over America in the 1940′s, when they attacked Pearl Harbor. So instead of sending death gliders over, they want to send death concubines to take over the role of the American housewife. They want them to raise your children learning their high pitched ugly language and teach them to hate anything Red, White and Blue.

So before you are sucked into sites that promise “American love for 5 dorrah”, remember, you could be importing a possible terrorist and by doing so, you yourself are a part of the downfall of America.

Don’t be tempted by blogs or dating sites that show off plump breasted, model typed oriental females, Yes, their skin is smooth and their almond eyes are quite alluring. But, the knife they want to wield into the back of America is not worth it and your soul will burn in hell for all of eternity if you fiddle around with these yellow, American hating prostitutes.

Tyson Bowers III
Youth Pastor

My thanks to Slowpo and Noob for defusing these walking bombs to the extent they are able.

For the benefit of PC lurkers, Tyson Bowers III operates a parody site. It's important to note this as otherwise someone will feel compelled to point out that the Chinese didn't, in actual point of fact, bomb Pearl Harbor. So far as you know.

No, the Germans did - at least according to John Belushi.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby sandoz » June 21st 2011, 6:45am

This from info inside my 2003 timex reef gear box. No matter their country of origin timex claims that their products are manufactured from scratch at factories run and owned by the timex company. According to timex, they even make their own quartz components picking only the choicest slices for their watches which they say is why therir watches are so accurate.
Whether this is all true or not I dont know but my phillipine made SS diver has been +5sec/month for 9 yrs and in my opinion is as tough as anything out there.
sandoz

Postby dude » June 21st 2011, 10:26am

Post up your impressions of the watch after a few days Dorks. I'd be interested to hear.
I bought a TX a while back, and really did'nt get along with it at all. Traded it off quickly. It was an odd thing, not liking it, could not put my finger on just what exactly it was I did'nt like about it.
dude
Senior Member & WIS

Postby dude » June 21st 2011, 10:28am

Oh, pics or it did'nt happen right???

dude
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Timex