Movado Datron 800 Chronograph Part III

Fashion brands such as Gucci, Hermes' and similar are here

Movado Datron 800 Chronograph Part III

Postby robatsu » January 17th 2017, 9:50pm

Ok, I ordered a Movado Datron 800 Auto Chrono from Princeton Watches.

It is a fishy item. The rotor has a black M unlike all the others. Has some weird deployant unlike the others. And the chronograph reset, who knows where the second hand ends up at. There was a series of "Black M" chronographs shortly after the production of these, completely different item although Black M on the rotor.

I think this might be some parts bin deal. Anyone have experience like this with Princeton Watches?
robatsu
Master of Time

Re: Movado Datron 800 Chronograph Part III

Postby Racer-X » January 17th 2017, 9:58pm

I've only heard good things about them. Chrono hand cannot be zeroed at all? Defective in that case, I'd send it back.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby robatsu » January 17th 2017, 10:12pm

I think it may be a parts bin frankenwatch. Very suspicious of rotor markings and deployant, does not at all match with any pictures I found on it or with the one I examined.

But yeah, send it back.

Rats on that...
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby labman » January 17th 2017, 10:16pm

Princeton Watches is 5 minutes from my house - I have stopped in several times (they are mainly a web based sales store) and the owner Steve Sargi could not have been nicer and accommodating.

I have a citizen 2100 ti that the chrono would not reset correctly on, he sent it in to Citizen and had it repaired under warranty, thing is I didn't even buy it from them.

He did this and I had not purchased a single watch from them.

After getting my Citizen back I did end up purchasing a Citizen EcoZilla at more than a reasonable price. A few months later I also ended up buying a Seiko Samurai - again at a more than reasonable price.

If you have an issue with your Movado that you purchased from them I can not see any reason to assume that they would not take care if it for you.

Of course I am basing this on my experience - your mileage may vary :)
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby robatsu » January 17th 2017, 10:21pm

Well, they seem to have a pretty good return policy and generally good online rep, so I'm going to approach it in good faith. Even if it is not authentic, which I strongly suspect, they aren't 100% in vetting what they get from other dealers. They definitely aren't in the fake watch business.

We'll see, but I don't expect any problems. Just kind of a PITA.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 17th 2017, 10:22pm

Racer-X wrote:I've only heard good things about them. Chrono hand cannot be zeroed at all? Defective in that case, I'd send it back.

Ditto. If the chrono hand doesn't reset properly, then there's a problem with the movement. Supposedly this is an easy fix, but then, with an automatic chronograph, there ain't no such thing as a cheap fix.

Regarding the variations of the bracelet and so forth, I've seen this before with (surprisingly) Orient Star. I recall seeing a post at WUS from some load who had bought an OS first generation GMT (the one with the double crowns) from God knows where, and was worried about it, because it didn't conform to any of the OS GMTs that were widely available (I don't recall exactly what was different, but it was the dial). It appeared to be authentic other than that; it was finally decided that it was either a sample that didn't make it into production or a very short run for a particularly valued Orient vendor. While Movado is a pretty big company, I could see this happening with them also.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby robatsu » January 17th 2017, 11:31pm

Yeah, I can definitely see it as that.

Apparently, there was a short, long forgotten Master Chronograph run towards the end of the run of these Datrons. They were distinguished by a black M on the rotor unlike the red M on the Datrons.

The shape of the rotors was different, though, and this one has the shape of the the other Datrons but has the black M of the Master Chronograph.

I could see something like that happening with parts bin stuff.

Same for the deployant, the ones I saw in person/depicted were a two wing deployant, this had a one wing thingie that was actually kind of clever and more low profile than the standard deployant.

So I could see something happening, production stuff like that. It is amazing though that this watch is faked, at least by open sales claiming to be fakes of this watch.

It is a perfect size, 40mm and pretty low profile for a chrono. Almost a normal dress watch size these days.

I'd also add that Orient Star has long put different rotor engravings on production of the same model for the JDM and overseas sales. The JDM ones typically are gold plated raised relief and int'l is engraved script filled with some black.

I'm pretty sure they are still doing that, although that probably wasn't your friend's issue.

In this case, the watch has no other suspicious stuff apart from interesting clasp, so someone who would go all that way to fake it that well would definitely have caught the humongous RED "M" on the rotor, it is extremely distinctive. Just on the face of it, it looks more like production/parts specing thing during a transitional product phase.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 18th 2017, 10:03am

Have had good luck with Princeton Watches.

Hope it works out.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Fashion Watch Brands