Counterpoint: ‘Fashion House’ Watches For Men?

Fashion brands such as Gucci, Hermes' and similar are here

Counterpoint: ‘Fashion House’ Watches For Men?

Postby koimaster » November 26th 2016, 3:16pm

Ariel Adams: I am of the opinion that watch lovers are unfairly prejudiced against watches whose brand names are those of large fashion houses. Not that these are "fashion watches" per se, as that term often refers lower-priced watches that borrow design elements from more high-end watches. Rather, we are talking about high-quality unique designs from brands that also happen to make clothing, fragrances, and accessories, often with a heavy focus on women. Think Ralph Lauren, Chanel, Bulgari, or Louis Vuitton. What does it matter whose name is on the dial if the watch itself is otherwise attractive, of a high-quality, and contains most of things a timepiece aficionado looks for? It's not like most of these watches are ugly. If anything, most of them succeed because they look pretty nice.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/point-count ... tches-men/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Counterpoint: ‘Fashion House’ Watches For Men?

Postby abduksion » November 26th 2016, 4:34pm

I have no problem with fashion brands.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby biglove » November 26th 2016, 5:28pm

"I think most guys agree that they would like their watch to come across sexy to women, so by virtue of the successes and failures in terms of marketing that these fashion houses have, there seems to be a net benefit when it comes to sex appeal with women - and that alone will be persuasive for enough men if framed in that manner."

Yeah, if you are using your watch for sex appeal, don't be pissed when you bag a high maintenance, money grubbing, gold digger.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » November 26th 2016, 6:53pm

Meh

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » November 26th 2016, 8:05pm

biglove wrote:Yeah, if you are using your watch for sex appeal, don't be pissed when you bag a high maintenance, money grubbing, gold digger.

Funny, I got the opposite - someone who knows actual taste and has a modicum of style that actually knows that such attributes can apply to males as well as females. Plus, she was hotter than a jalapeno, and happened to like watches nearly as much as I did.

If a guy who's dating can, as Burton Cummings once sang, "had my best duds on" to impress a woman, can't the watch reflect that desire too? It's only natural.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » November 26th 2016, 8:40pm

TemerityB wrote:
biglove wrote:Yeah, if you are using your watch for sex appeal, don't be pissed when you bag a high maintenance, money grubbing, gold digger.

Funny, I got the opposite - someone who knows actual taste and has a modicum of style that actually knows that such attributes can apply to males as well as females. Plus, she was hotter than a jalapeno, and happened to like watches nearly as much as I did.

If a guy who's dating can, as Burton Cummings once sang, "had my best duds on" to impress a woman, can't the watch reflect that desire too? It's only natural.

Touche, TB. Touche!
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » November 27th 2016, 5:19am

TemerityB wrote:

At my stage in life I'd be happy to bag a golddigger
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » November 27th 2016, 8:50am

JAS1125 wrote:
TemerityB wrote:

At my stage in life I'd be happy to bag a golddigger

Ever notice that when you see young, hot women with ugly, fat (not that you are ugly or fat!) old men, the men are always wealthy? Seems that money truly is the greatest aphrodisiac.

It only takes 3 1/2" to keep any woman happy. It's called an AMEX Black card.

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » November 27th 2016, 9:48am

I never much cared if a young lady liked my watches (either of them) or not...my choice in surfboards was another matter entirely, though. ;) Ferinstance, Dewey-Weber is a rather silly name, IMHO, but they sure make some nice boards. Tri-Bolling (a long-departed-from-the-pattern indy board maker from Smell-A County), on the other hand, had an interesting name, but the boards looked like bleached and flattened Godzilla turds with pawn shop signs painted on them in AIDS-infected rat-blood. And those were the attractive ones...and then there was the "Surfin' Sadie" board that Tri-B came out with in '74; it featured a picture of a hula-girl that looked like it was ear-painted by Stevie Wonder's LSD-enraptured cat, for chrissake...

...but I digress.

I have a Versace quartz, a Ducati auto, a Fendi auto & a Mercedes Benz auto (all w/ETA 7750's), and none of my fellow collectors has given me any crap about them, so I think the author's premise may be off a bit. I like them all a good deal, though the Versace is rather difficult to photograph because of its uniquely detailed dial and chromium plated case and bracelet. It could be argued that the Ducati (which, for some reason, I'm always calling "my Bukkake") isn't a genuine fashion watch because they make high-end donor-cycles; the same could be said of my Benz watch, I suppose, since they make 'spensive cars. I tend to disagree, though, because they're all well made, very attractive watches from some very successful businesses who've lent their names to some truly superb products over the years. And calling them "fashion watches" isn't the pejorative that "TV Wartches" is, unless it's used with a dismissive gesture, which you can't always tell by reading what's been said. Hmmm. Perhaps we need a "DGE" (Dismissive Gesture Emoticon)...or not.

Does anybody really care? If so, I can't imagine why...
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » November 27th 2016, 11:23am

When I hear "fashion watches," I think of Kors, Emperio Armani and other overpriced gumball machine garbage? Big difference between those and high end private label brands.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby mrneddles » November 27th 2016, 12:21pm

I would wear a LV Tambour.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 27th 2016, 2:28pm

biglove wrote:When I hear "fashion watches," I think of Kors, Emperio Armani and other overpriced gumball machine garbage? Big difference between those and high end private label brands.

That's what I think, too. Macy's = fashion watches = Michael Kors, Vince Camuto, Anne Klein, etc. That's about as much as I think about it.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » November 28th 2016, 9:40am

Perhaps there needs to be a delineation between high-end and low-end fashion watches. Either way, the article was spot-on in its focus on the more expensive fashion brands, most of which are (1) ugly, (2) too expensive for the vast majority of us, and (3) really ugly. The lower enders are what they are, but they must do okay, as the inventories appear to sell well and get replenished on a regular basis. Interestingly, there has been a flood of Movado Museum models at our local TJ Maxx's, and at very decent prices. I personally wouldn't lump them in with the aforementioned lower-end fashion wrist-tickers, but some might, I guess. Les imbéciles feront ce qu'ils veulent. :roll:
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Fashion Watch Brands