Technomarine - the real history of it

Fashion brands such as Gucci, Hermes' and similar are here

Technomarine - the real history of it

Postby koimaster » March 26th 2016, 12:05pm

Now owned by the little Panamanian himself, the lalo. I wonder what lies will be spun about this "luxury brand" now?

What Are These Guys Up To?

Written by Joe Thompson, November 22, 2009

TechnoMarine made a big splash a decade ago. A new team is hoping to do it again.

The image of (left to right) Christian Viros, Vincent Perriard, and Steven Cohen, nearly up to their necks in water, is designed to make us wonder what these three bobbing Pep Boys are up to. The image is apt because that’s exactly the question lots of people in the watch world are asking.

These three have teamed up to try and revive the TechnoMarine watch brand. TechnoMarine, you may recall, was the world’s hottest watch brand 10 years ago. It burst on the watch scene in 1999 with a watch called TechnoDiamond that turned a faux pas into a fashion statement by brazenly combining diamonds with (egad!) plastic. It had 1.1 carats of diamonds in two rows around the bezel and a translucent plastic band that came in colors ranging from transparent to mauve.

TechnoMarine’s TechnoDiamond created a Techno-craze. Fashion and watch magazines hailed Franck Dubarry, the French advertising executive who created the company and the design pretty much on a whim, as a genius. Dubarry moved the business to Los Angeles and made quartz TechnoMarines a fixture of the jet set’s weekend wardrobe.

For a while. Dubarry had a good run, but eventually the brand fell victim to the two demons that plague all overnight-sensation watches: knockoffs and the need for a second act. (Think of Carlo Crocco’s gold-and-rubber Hublot and Severin Wunderman’s Corum Bubble.) Diamond and plastic watches proliferated. Over time the novelty wore off and the brand got tagged as a “one-hit wonder.” By mid-decade, the wind had come out of TechnoMarine’s sails (and sales). In 2006, Dubarry sold the company to an investor group and pursued other interests.

TechnoMarine made a splash combining diamond-set cases with plastic bands, as in this Cruise Star model.

http://www.watchtime.com/featured/what- ... uys-up-to/

http://www.jckonline.com/2016/02/19/con ... chnomarine

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/invicta ... 92354.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Technomarine - the real history of it

Postby conjurer » March 26th 2016, 1:25pm

This brand makes me want to Technopuke.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 26th 2016, 2:48pm

My wife has a seven or eight-year-old one she bought at Tourneau. Nice enough sports watch, but flimsy and not worth anywhere near its $450 list price. She didn't pay that for it, but I never understood why she liked it.

These days, I see gray pre-IWG Technomarine watches like everywhere (TJ Maxx, Costco, BJ's Wholesale, Nordstrom, etc) selling for pennies on the dollar. At the same time, Lalo is selling his Technomarine on Evine with some bimbo handling the MIchael Davis role, and never once do they mention that Technomarine being an Invicta brand. Can't wait for any old school Technomarine buyers to order some Chinese crap that falls apart and wonders what happened to TM.

This won't work if the new TM is the same quality and QC as Invicta. Idiots like pacerguy and dimWITs will fall for anything, but I'm being serious: Women won't put up with shit in a box. And by noting that, I'm saying that the new Technomarine will make the New Coke look like a legendary concept, because Lalo hasn't issued a decent watch since about 2006, and I'll argue that statement with anyone.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Nuvolari » March 26th 2016, 5:53pm

I have an oldie of theirs...with a Miyota quartz chrono and it has been a very good watch over the years. I got it as a gift and suspect the giftor paid through the ass when originally purchased in... 1997 or 8. 200M... Which seems about right because I did wear it in the deep end of the pool.

I didn't realize IWG had acquired them but that certainly explains their horrific design devolution.

Fuckem.
Last edited by Nuvolari on March 26th 2016, 7:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » March 26th 2016, 7:06pm

I used to be really hot for Technomarine. Glad I got over it. Invicta and TM is a match made in heaven.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » March 27th 2016, 9:55am

image.jpeg

jaw wrote:I used to be really hot for Technomarine. Glad I got over it. Invicta and TM is a match made in heaven.

Only one i ever thought was interesting in a ventura sort of way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby jaw » March 27th 2016, 10:36am

koimaster wrote:

jaw wrote:I used to be really hot for Technomarine. Glad I got over it. Invicta and TM is a match made in heaven.

Only one i ever thought was interesting in a ventura sort of way.

Yep that would be the one.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » March 27th 2016, 10:38am

What the hell were you guys drinking last night??
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Fashion Watch Brands