Orient Star Royal--Impressions and Pics

Orient Star Royal--Impressions and Pics

Postby conjurer » November 6th 2017, 3:50pm

Normally, I don't bother reviewing a watch that's been discontinued for a decade, and I'm not going to do a full review of this one, either, apart from posting some pics and impressions:

Starting with the dial--it's beautiful, even in my substandard picture; the center has a very subtle texture, the chapter ring is smooth, and the seconds track has a different texture from the center. Taken together, it gives an impression of depth to an otherwise flat dial. The markers are diamond cut, to reflect light, which, along with the printing on the dial and polished handset, makes everything look a little more luxurious than a standard OS:

Interestingly, the usual power reserve arc is raised above the dial, and there is some sort of polishing/diamond cutting going on, because it reflects strong light back like a prism, showing different colors (which I was unable to get a pic of):

The crystal is very much like the newer OS crystals, with some sort of high-quality coating--it appears almost invisible, with just slight flares of reflection, particularly in sunlight.

One nice thing about the movement (I'm not sure of the caliber number) is that the date in the date window sits up a little higher than some other OSs and Orients; with some, it seems like you're looking into a hole to see the date wheel, which is set deep.

The movement itself is somewhat unique, in that, while not handwindable, it still hacks, allowing the user to set the time precisely. The movement is very accurate; the tolerances for Royals are -5-+10 seconds a day, and this watch is running almost dead on, perhaps gaining a second overnight, resting off the wrist dial up. Since I got it, five or six days ago, it's about two seconds fast in that time.

The case is a big step up from the standard Orient models, and a little better than the OSs I've owned. The polishing is very fine, the lines razor sharp, and pretty close to the finishing I saw on Hawk's Grand Seikos at the last GTG:

Another interesting thing is the oyster-like caseback with beaded decoration. Even though the crown doesn't screw down Orient still claims 100m of water resistance. Measurements of the case are a tad over 36mm across, 39mm with crown, 44mm lug to lug, and somewhat surprisingly, about 13.5mm thick. Lug width is 19mm, tapering down to 17mm at the clasp.

The bracelet is a pretty standard OS type, with solid endlinks and half links, which is the first time I've seen these on any Orient or OS. One of the things that show a lot of thought and engineering is the clasp, which has beveled edges on the inside for wearing comfort:

This watch, when new in circa 2005, would have cost about $1600 US. To me, this would have been worth it; this watch is and does what an expensive watch should do. It looks great, it wears perfect, and keeps outstanding time. It would be a fine watch for a guy who has to dress well for work to wear every day, even somebody who doesn't care about watches--it's practically the Rolex Datejust of Japan.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Orient Star Royal--Impressions and Pics

Postby foghorn » November 6th 2017, 4:04pm

I like that watch. More than I should.
And getting me to like an Orient is no small task No-Siree!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » November 6th 2017, 4:36pm

"DIBS"*

*EyE really lykes me this'n, Conjurer, and eYe'm thuroughly hoaping you'll git reel tyred of it an wanna sellit directly tummy, ass andre Griffith wood'uh said tuh Borney Fyfendrumcorps own his TV show...halfuh nyce day-O...!

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 6th 2017, 4:38pm

God that's good. Love it Mr conjurer, big congrats
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » November 6th 2017, 5:33pm

Man, that is lovely. The accuracy, if never adjusted, is pretty amazing.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » November 6th 2017, 7:46pm

Good werds. I am glad you are happy.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » November 6th 2017, 9:19pm

Damn!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » November 7th 2017, 4:55am

Great watch (I love white dials) and superb photos! Good for you John!
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » November 7th 2017, 6:57am

I'm with those ^ guys, nice looking watch John!!

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » November 7th 2017, 7:20am

Just look at the edges and surface of the second hand. Incredible! Congratulations on this one, John!
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby AJC » November 7th 2017, 7:37am

The cutting and polishing of the hands is absolutely incredible. I wish I could see it in person.

Great pick up!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 7th 2017, 8:57am

AJC wrote:The cutting and polishing of the hands is absolutely incredible. I wish I could see it in person.

Yep. First thing I was mesmerized by as well. Just gorgeous.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » November 7th 2017, 9:29am

Yup - that Royal Orient hits those Japanese buttons for sure. From the polishing of the hands to the cannon pinion dress cover.

Slicker 'n snail snot by gawd.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AntFarm » November 7th 2017, 3:47pm

I love your macros... and the watch is really gorgeous. I too love the dial and the power reserve indicator. I did see the color in the original sellers pics. It's just amazing craftsmanship. I've been looking.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » November 7th 2017, 8:04pm

Thanks for the kind words, all! Interestingly, for a pretty small watch, it wears more like a 38-40mm; I guess because of the case thickness, and the somewhat minimal bezel. Also interesting is the bracelet, unlike newer OS's, uses simple friction pins. The more modern OS's use a collar in the center link, very similar to some Omegas.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » November 7th 2017, 8:45pm

Keep an eye on Zenmarket.co.jp for lightly used Orient, Seiko and Credor affordables from the turn of the century. I think Big Lug got a GS somewhere in there. They have links to other auctions like Rakuten which tends to have newer stuff.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » November 7th 2017, 11:42pm

I like it, I like it a lot! I hope you wear it on the next trip to the PB's- would love to see that baby up close and in personal, and, you know how I love the Hot Toddies with the turbinado sugar and the cloves, and the Dead Rabbit Irish Coffees with the Jameson, Demerara syrup and hand whipped cream that they serve during the winter at Del Monicos- I know I know the ground is so hard during the winter- blah blah- we'll just have to have the package hollow out it's own delivery vault, if you know what I mean, my friend. I'm sure Cod got the heater core all patched up in the work car by now and popped on the snows. I can't remember; I hope we didn't accidentally use the tire chains on the last big fat heavy delivery from the boat, you know how that highway gets. I dunno why Mort insisted on storing them on the boat anyway. I guess it wouldn't hurt to stop by the marina or Joy Auto on the way outtta town--Hell----I'll even pick up the tab for a new set if we need 'em.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Orient