Orient's New Nami Diver

Orient's New Nami Diver

Postby TemerityB » September 23rd 2017, 5:23pm

I'm more than a little surprised at this one, from the styling to the entire concept; at 46mm, it's pretty different.

From ABTW:
Japanese brand Orient has always been at the top of the list of value brands here at aBlogtoWatch. Considering price point, you get a lot when you purchase an Orient. In-house automatic movement? Check. Quality finishing? Check. Sapphire crystal? Check (in a lot of cases). Fair price? You bet. With their successful flagship dive watch being the Mako, and its many later iterations, I was surprised to hear the brand was launching an entirely new dive watch called the Orient Nami and that it was going to be 46mm. Owning a number of Makos that have been my outdoor companions for years, I was both skeptical and intrigued.

When the whispers of a 46mm dive watch starting making the rounds, it was quickly assumed that it would be another large M-Force, a new version of the Mako XL, or perhaps a Mako USA XL. Instead, we got the Orient Nami, a dive watch detached from the popular Mako collection, and entirely unique among the rest of Orient's diver catalog – while still maintaining a sub-$500 price tag. Named after the Japanese word for "wave" the Nami will find its place among those who prefer a bigger watch on their weekend hikes and dives, but can't or don't want to fork over the cash for a SuperOcean.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/orient-nami-watch-review/
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Orient's New Nami Diver

Postby biglove » September 23rd 2017, 5:47pm

46? Why?

The dial looks quite similar to an Orient Devario dial, now discontinued. Was the only Orient diver with a crappy bezel I have encountered.

Devario:

Nami:
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » September 23rd 2017, 6:45pm

It's not bad looking--it has a vintage Seiko look to it. The problem is, I've never worn an Orient diver that "wore" smaller than the dimensions would indicate, except for maybe the Revolver, but it's been years since I had one in my hands. Forty six mm is just too goddamned big--I mean, the fucking OS300 is 45mm, FFS.

If Orient had made these in 40-42mm, I'd have been all over it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » September 24th 2017, 12:24am

While the trend in the watch racket seems to be downsizing cases, the big O brings out a big watch.

I've never caught the Orient bug and I likely wouldn't buy the watch regardless of case size, but it's interesting that the big watch segment of the market remains strong enough to indulged by a large number of brands, and not just value brands, either. It's a nice looking, reasonably priced watch and I think they'll sell the shit out of them.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 24th 2017, 12:25am

Too big for me :(
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 24th 2017, 4:37pm

A detail here , a detail there ...for the most part, all Orients share the same DNA these days , 46mm too big? Orient has always been about fun dorkiness, colorful shit and sometimes just plain crazy designs (darn I miss the 70's), while delivering some serious accuracy out of the box from a bullet proof in-house movement with a bargain price tag... so is both an acquired taste and an in your face take it or leave it, kind of brand....love them all
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby ocean » September 24th 2017, 5:26pm

Seiko Sawtooth 46mm without crown.
Seiko Tuna 48mm
Seiko monster 44mm
G Shock ga110 51.2mm baby 43mm
Monster 43mm
Sea- dweller 44mm
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby AntFarm » September 24th 2017, 5:52pm

Too big... I thought 46 and up were on their way out? I guess not.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Return to Orient