Introducing the Orient Mako USA II

Introducing the Orient Mako USA II

Postby koimaster » August 8th 2016, 10:19am

Orient’s Mako dive watch has been the firm’s flagship model since its release in 2004, rightly sitting alongside Seiko’s SKX007 in the pantheon of affordable, solidly-built dive watches. Two years ago, Orient’s USA team wanted to do something new with the line, so they reached out to Reddit’s watch community, r/watches for input. And with that, the Mako USA was born.

The new (at the time) and improved Mako USA came with a major facelift, one that borrowed heavily from Orient’s other dive watch lines—namely the Ray and Mako XL. The makeover also came with a set of improved specs worthy of a modern diver, including a sapphire crystal, a 120-click unidirectional bezel, solid end links, and improved luminosity. Unsurprisingly, it was a huge hit. (For our full take on the Mako USA, read our review here.)

Building on the success of the original, Orient is back with its latest iteration of the Mako USA, appropriately dubbed the Orient Mako USA II.

http://wornandwound.com/introducing-orient-mako-usa-ii/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Introducing the Orient Mako USA II

Postby conjurer » August 8th 2016, 10:44am

I dunno. While I applaud Orient for updating the Mako, one of the charms of the old one was that it worked so well and that it was so absurdly cheap (you could easily get one from sellers on ebay and Amazon for close to a hundred bucks, BNIB.) Even buying from an AD the original Mako was maybe $130 or so.

Because it was so cheap, it was a gateway drug into this thing of ours, along with the SKX007 and Monsters, and unlike the Invicter Pro Diver, which in its day was a pretty good watch, the Mako didn't have to carry the baggage of both Nvicters history or the fact that it was a copy of the Rollie Sub. I suppose that time marches on, and inflation has to be figured in, but the old Mako, even with all its shortcomings, was the first mechanical diver a lot of budding WISses wore.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby SN13 » August 8th 2016, 10:48am

conjurer wrote:I dunno. While I applaud Orient for updating the Mako, one of the charms of the old one was that it worked so well and that it was so absurdly cheap (you could easily get one from sellers on ebay and Amazon for close to a hundred bucks, BNIB.) Even buying from an AD the original Mako was maybe $130 or so.

Because it was so cheap, it was a gateway drug into this thing of ours, along with the SKX007 and Monsters, and unlike the Invicter Pro Diver, which in its day was a pretty good watch, the Mako didn't have to carry the baggage of both Nvicters history or the fact that it was a copy of the Rollie Sub. I suppose that time marches on, and inflation has to be figured in, but the old Mako, even with all its shortcomings, was the first mechanical diver a lot of budding WISses wore.

I wanted to get an Orient diver (Mako or Ray) and couldn't get past the non-sapphire crystal... This may change my view and I may now end up with one.

I sold my "Seiko Bad Ass Monster, the best dive watch in the world" because it had a Mineral crystal.

SN13
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 8th 2016, 10:59am

SN13 wrote:
conjurer wrote:I dunno. While I applaud Orient for updating the Mako, one of the charms of the old one was that it worked so well and that it was so absurdly cheap (you could easily get one from sellers on ebay and Amazon for close to a hundred bucks, BNIB.) Even buying from an AD the original Mako was maybe $130 or so.

I wanted to get an Orient diver (Mako or Ray) and couldn't get past the non-sapphire crystal... This may change my view and I may now end up with one.

I sold my "Seiko Bad Ass Monster, the best dive watch in the world" because it had a Mineral crystal.

While I can (somewhat) understand the passions involved over the use of Hardlex vs. sapphire crystals, it should be pointed out that Orient is perhaps the only Japanese watch company that actually listens to its customers and tries to implement changes that collectors want.

Seiko, in contrast, is very happy to listen as well to the collecting community, nod agreeably, smile, and then totally ignore outside imput. Their divers, by and large, use Hardlex mineral glass, because that's the way Seiko does things--Hardlex is more shatter resistant than sapphire, therefore it's a better glass to use in a diver, period. Recently they updated the MM300, the big thing was that they used their Diamond-Shield treatment on the stainless steel. The crystal? Still Hardlex--which might make the new MM300 the only $2K + diver that doesn't use sapphire.

Then again, this is what makes Seiko Seiko. I wouldn't have it any other way.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » August 8th 2016, 11:01am

I've got two of the old Makos, orange and yellow, and I've been thinking of getting a blue one.
The new styles just don't interest me much, especially at the extra cost.
I don't have a need for sapphire, except maybe at a certain price. But then Seiko makes fine watches with Hardlex, and seem somewhat indifferent to the perception that sapphire is superior.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 8th 2016, 11:22am

Tzimisces wrote:I've got two of the old Makos, orange and yellow, and I've been thinking of getting a blue one.
The new styles just don't interest me much, especially at the extra cost.
I don't have a need for sapphire, except maybe at a certain price. But then Seiko makes fine watches with Hardlex, and seem somewhat indifferent to the perception that sapphire is superior.

Precisely. Seiko is, after all, a gigantic company, and they've been successful because they are able to make very good watches for a pretty low price. They've been making dive watches that are actually designed to go into the water and work, for decades; to keep the price low to the consumer, they design them to work well on a budget.

I would guess that Seiko designers look at how well sapphire works (or doesn't) in a dive watch vs. Hardlex, figures the price necessary to make sapphire work well, and then shrugs and stays with Hardlex.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » August 8th 2016, 11:50am

conjurer wrote:Precisely. Seiko is, after all, a gigantic company, and they've been successful because they are able to make very good watches for a pretty low price. They've been making dive watches that are actually designed to go into the water and work, for decades; to keep the price low to the consumer, they design them to work well on a budget.

I would guess that Seiko designers look at how well sapphire works (or doesn't) in a dive watch vs. Hardlex, figures the price necessary to make sapphire work well, and then shrugs and stays with Hardlex.

But some of the higher end (or deeper if you prefer) Seiko divers are equipped with sapphire.

This SBDX014 as example.
http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/d ... er-sbdx014

It was suggested at one point by our favorite full time WIS and part time commie that Seiko only went to sapphire on the noted example and others due to the whining of their customer base whereas some of us believed it to be Seiko simply selecting the best material for the application. Or perhaps price point.

This will be one of those great unprovable mysteries for both sides as even if Seiko used sapphire to appease their collectors Seiko would never say out loud "it's sapphire to shut up you whiny-ass bitches". We would therefor be left with speculation or the off chance of finding the Seiko equivalent of the internal Ford Pinto memo.

I'm happy to live with Seiko's determination which in my case amounts to Hardlex on a Seiko 5 and sapphire on a pedestrian-grade GS.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Return to Orient