Carpathia Watch Co - New Vintage Swiss Mechanical

Watches and such at Kickstarter.

Carpathia Watch Co - New Vintage Swiss Mechanical

Postby koimaster » October 18th 2017, 9:13am

Do you own anything that will stand the test of time? An old car can surpass innovation, even more coveted after 50 years. A well made mechanical watch can continue to tick despite being worn for generations.

Some people say the craftsmanship of years past just isn’t there anymore. Well, we say that they do still make them like they used to.

At Carpathia Watch Co. we relish the hands-on experience of creating something personal and designing a watch that outlives trends, continuing to be handed down in tradition for years to come. With high quality materials, a Top grade ETA 2824-2 movement and hand assembly in Switzerland, you’ll be investing in a watch worth passing on.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... y-timepiec

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Carpathia Watch Co - New Vintage Swiss Mechanical

Postby foghorn » October 18th 2017, 9:26am

'The name "Ascent" is meant to signify whatever type of climb you find yourself facing in life. Perhaps you plan to travel to the Carpathian mountains, and literally climb it's peaks. Perhaps you've set out on a new business endeavor, or you've chosen to build a life in a new country- we hope this watch can accompany you on your journey and help you rise.

FFS
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » October 18th 2017, 9:27am

Designed in Chicago? Fuck, that's a real game-changer!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » October 18th 2017, 9:39am

Carpathia, a very unfortunate name for a watch company. Implies you'll always be a little late arriving.

NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 18th 2017, 10:12am

Ahhh, so that guy finally did make his own watches. I actively commented on the project in the WUS Watch Concepts and Designs forum thread. Looks like I managed to talk him out of making it bigger than 42mm. That was something like two years ago, if my memory serves me well.

One thing that I can't abide is the chrome plated case. Oh, for fuck's sake, it's not a Timex for $40 (yes, they still have chrome plated cases!) to have that made so cheaply! It's north of $700, and for that, I want my case stainless fucking steel!

Still, it is quite a nice watch.

As to the name "Carpathia", if the guy is from the southeast of Poland, that region is either the Beskids, which refers to the mountainous areas only, or the neighbouring lowlands -r eferred to as the Podkarpacie. None of these makes a good name for a watch brand. Well, Beskid or Beskids - by a long shot - does, but sounds somewhat less proud than Carpathia. That region is part of the Carpathians anyway, so I guess if he wanted a tribute to his homeland, but still wanted it to be catchy, he chose quite well.
Still, he could pay tribute to the region better, like with a watch in a stainless steel fucking case!!!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 18th 2017, 10:38am

I developed Carpathia once, but with a little physical therapy and some Blue Emu, I was able to give bullshit Kickstarter crud companies the finger in no time.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » October 18th 2017, 10:55am

TemerityB wrote:I developed Carpathia once, but with a little physical therapy and some Blue Emu, I was able to give bullshit Kickstarter crud companies the finger in no time.

TMMLH.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » October 18th 2017, 10:56am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As to the name "Carpathia", if the guy is from the southeast of Poland, that region is either the Beskids, which refers to the mountainous areas only, or the neighbouring lowlands -r eferred to as the Podkarpacie. None of these makes a good name for a watch brand. Well, Beskid or Beskids - by a long shot - does, but sounds somewhat less proud than Carpathia. That region is part of the Carpathians anyway, so I guess if he wanted a tribute to his homeland, but still wanted it to be catchy, he chose quite well.
Still, he could pay tribute to the region better, like with a watch in a stainless steel fucking case!!!

Well, there are a shitload of Polacks who live in Chicago. Their community's pretty big on the South Side--in fact, they have their own library, and people are encouraged to go inside and read the book.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects