WHYTES WATCHES / Exceptional mechanical timepieces

Watches and such at Kickstarter.

WHYTES WATCHES / Exceptional mechanical timepieces

Postby koimaster » July 7th 2017, 6:16pm

Located in Metro Vancouver, Canada, we are watchmakers of fine timepieces of uncompromising quality. The natural world surrounds us and our inspiration is drawn from our environment and the history that is woven into the land. We bring you watches that can continue to serve for generations to come, thus truly encompassing and embracing the passage of time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wh ... timepieces

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: WHYTES WATCHES / Exceptional mechanical timepieces

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 7th 2017, 7:00pm

"Fine pieces of uncompromising quality?" I think not. Some of the versions of that watch are an IWC Portuguese homage, with an aperture in the dial, through which one can observe the rather unattractive movement. The open case back is a nuisance as well. And is it just the photo, or are these lugs uneven, and look like in a badly replated chrome/brass case?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 7th 2017, 7:22pm

Red hands go well with the white or blue dials. Not a fan of the hand shapes and they look rather cheaply made.

The "open heart" really shows off what an ugly movement is in the case.

A resounding "meh."
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » July 7th 2017, 11:47pm

I dunno...I didn't think they were all that bad looking. And I like Miyota movements, ugly or not. But rather than buying the watch, I'd like to see more of the young lady who threw the stick for the dog on the beach. I liked the look of her shapely bum underneath that nice shorty dress...WOOF!! ;)

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby sscanlan » July 9th 2017, 2:33pm

Hi there, I am the part owner of Whytes Watches and saw your comments here and thought I would offer a few answers to the point raised. Thanks first for looking, it is always welcoming to see feedback on our watches from people who collect watches, your views are particularly valued.

We are a microbrand of two years and this is our third collection, we have a dedicated following that own our watches and repeatedly buy. We hope to be able to grow to the point where we manufacture most of the parts in Canada though this is currently a couple of years away. Kickstarter is one way we are attempting to gain the capital to be able to achieve this aggressive goal.

The 150M Canada Anniversary watch you have viewed (although only through a few photos) is our latest offering. We chose the Miyota movement because it offers a sturdy movement that is cheap and rugged. This particular movement demonstrated a design that emphasized the 150 years of history we are trying to show in the design of the watch. The case is full 316L Stainless Steel (not badly replated chrome/brass ) as is the Buckle on the straps. In trying to maintain the strength of the piece we have used Sapphire glass front and back with the Front having AR coating. The watch is tested to be waterproof to 20ATM adding to its sturdiness.

Following the interesting statement from MKTheVintageBloke we looked at the lugs and the watch has straight and equal lugs. The reference to the watch being an IWC homage was interesting as I find it hard to see many watches out there that are not an homage or a direct copy of some watch or other. Diver watches make my case. I personally do not see it as an issue as long as it is not a direct copy. However, it was not our intent to pay homage to any watch in our design but to simply reflect watch cases from the early years of the last century.

I would love for you all to be able to handle one of these watches and provide a more biased opinion, maybe one day we can arrange that.

Steve
sscanlan
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » July 9th 2017, 2:39pm

"Timeless automatic watches with beating heart and open back inspired by Canada's 150th Anniversary of Confederation."

(also inspired by the dial design of many Bulova automatics)

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby sscanlan » July 9th 2017, 2:42pm

? Sorry I fail to see the similarity other than the movement possibly? Where is the similarity please ?

The movement determines the holes and sub-dial, the hands, dial, numerals, face etc are all different but the movement is the same?

Steve
sscanlan
Senior Member & WIS

Postby ocean » July 9th 2017, 4:07pm

Are you fucking kidding me?
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » July 9th 2017, 5:36pm

We are not your mother's PTA Halloween party meeting. We like to see as much finished product before you take it further. I have no idea what your video has to do with learning about your watches. Very few watch videos are anything but lifestyle lookbooks and I speak only for myself when I say I do not include Kickstarter in my watch education. Good luck in the shade over there.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » July 9th 2017, 5:43pm

I prefer the Bullie.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » July 9th 2017, 5:54pm

I need to go suck up and push my wares at WUS then chunk together some Chinese stock parts with a custom dial, hire me a hipster photographer and BAM, a KS success story.

I buy a lot of watches, or at least far more than the avarrage consumer. I have yet to see a KS wartch that makes me want to cough up cash up front for a product that may or may not be delivered.

Haven't seen anything that revolutionary on KS and I damned sure don't trust a total stranger with my money on his "promise" to deliver.

All that being said, the watches wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for that ugly ass "open heart." It just doesn't work on this watch.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » July 10th 2017, 4:39am

Do these watches have any relation to Walter White from Breaking Bad? If so PM the details so I can ignore them.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » July 10th 2017, 12:33pm

What about the shapely bum on the young lady in the beach sequence? You didn't say word one about that... :scratch:

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 10th 2017, 8:07pm

Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby apollowatches » September 13th 2017, 5:14pm

the hands color is very unique
apollowatches

Postby foghorn » September 13th 2017, 5:42pm

the hands color sucks
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby jb182 » Yesterday, 4:03pm

The straps are nice. I do not own an open heart design nor do I ever plan on purchasing one. Nothing about that watch says "buy me!"
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » Yesterday, 7:46pm

“The natural world surrounds us and our inspiration is drawn from our environment and the history that is woven into the land.” My wife holds my hand and calls me "Nature Boy." Every time we walk in the woods, we scrape our Timberlands into the soil, looking for stray 8215s.

“Japanese Citizen Automatic Mechanical movement (wound by the movement of your wrist) ensures a smooth sweep of the hands and total precision timing and the 316L stainless steel case means a tough and robust vehicle in which to showcase the component parts.” See a see-through caseback later on. Highlighting a $55 movement with a see-through caseback is like opening a peep show and hiring Cloris Leachman as the first booth girl.

Quick release supple leather straps, Japanese Citizen Automatic Mechanical movement: When two of the biggest selling points are the same ones made by such titans of the cheapjack watch industry as Wing Liang and Eyal Lalo, uh, well….

Best of luck as your brand strives to be, from the looks of things, the Canadian Shinola.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » Yesterday, 8:05pm

TemerityB wrote:Highlighting a $55 movement with a see-through caseback is like opening a peep show and hiring Cloris Leachman as the first booth girl.

TMMLH.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects