BALTIC Watches – Neo-Vintage Watches From France

Watches and such at Kickstarter.

BALTIC Watches – Neo-Vintage Watches From France

Postby Racer-X » May 12th 2017, 1:25pm

by Robert Jan-Broer "Vintage watches are hot, we don’t have to tell you that. We also don’t have to tell you that a lot of established brands have difficulties to come up with new and refreshing models, although BaselWorld showed that some of them are on the right track (again). The focus was on retro models, and although some people (mainly journalists) weren’t too excited about that, the watches from Oris, Seiko, Hamilton, Longines, Omega and Tissot for example, were well received."

Article at Fratellowatches
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: BALTIC Watches – Neo-Vintage Watches From France

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 12th 2017, 1:44pm

The chrono is nice, but IMO the inscription on the dial, about it being manually wound, is expendable. I'm not sure if "bicompax" isn't actually a trademark of Universal Geneve (who are still around). The Chinese movement is something I don't like, but then again, it's a Venus design.

The three-hander, meanwhile is really great. It's just beautiful.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » May 12th 2017, 2:00pm

Not a horrible looking watch. However, Manuel is likely a Hispanic dude. The watch would be wound manually. The urban dictionary defines Manuel as the most awesome person ever so maybe the inscription is in his honor.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » May 12th 2017, 2:45pm

Mark1 wrote:Not a horrible looking watch. However, Manuel is likely a Hispanic dude. The watch would be wound manually. The urban dictionary defines Manuel as the most awesome person ever so maybe the inscription is in his honor.

Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 12th 2017, 3:41pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote: I'm not sure if "bicompax" isn't actually a trademark of Universal Geneve (who are still around).

I'm not sure either bu,I don't think so....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 12th 2017, 4:09pm

eddiea wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote: I'm not sure if "bicompax" isn't actually a trademark of Universal Geneve (who are still around).

I'm not sure either bu,I don't think so....

Just checked- "bi-compax" has been registered as a trademark of UG in 1943, but whether or not can Baltic use it without the dash- I don't know. Probably yes- guess if UG wanted to sue them, they'd already have done that. I'm no lawyer, so...

I've been wondering about the trademark, as UG model names tend to be abused in vintage watch trade on a daily basis as a hype technique, and I've seen some truly ridiculous trademark disputes... But not only because of that.

Exempli gratia: not so long ago, pictures of a Panerai homage were deleted from WUS. Not that I defend homages, that's a controversial topic on which I won't elaborate, but the pictures were deleted because of the use of the words "Marina Militare" on a non-Panerai-made watch. Apparently, Panerai has registered the name of the Italian navy as their trademark. A bit as if, say, Armitage Shanks (or anyone else, for that matter) would have registered "Royal Navy" as their trademark. Anyway, failing to resort to common sense, the local apparatus of oppression removed the pics.

Returning to Baltic- interestingly, their thread in the WUS Concepts & Designs forum has been deleted, when the company first asked for feedback in the forums a few months ago, so I guess one of the overzealous mods (I have my suspicions as to who that was) could have interpreted the use of Bicompax on a non-UG as copyright infringement. Then again, WUS is a madhouse of sorts, so no idea who and why has deleted that thread- it all could have been about trademarks and rules, but could well have been about money.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 12th 2017, 6:51pm

(Clears throat, straightens tie)

Kuck Fickstarter.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Britboy » May 12th 2017, 9:25pm

Now, I like vintage, but this just strikes me as a bit bland and not really vintage. Trying too hard I feel.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » May 13th 2017, 6:13pm

conjurer wrote:
Mark1 wrote:Not a horrible looking watch. However, Manuel is likely a Hispanic dude. The watch would be wound manually. The urban dictionary defines Manuel as the most awesome person ever so maybe the inscription is in his honor.

The watch says Manuel on the dial-not manual, perhaps it doesn't matter, apparently most don't notice.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby svaglic » May 13th 2017, 6:26pm

The blue gilt three hander looks nice. If I see one on the secondary market for a good price I might get it. The others are not aweful, I like the simplicity.

It's 38mm, that gets my attention.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 13th 2017, 11:03pm

Mark1 wrote:
conjurer wrote:

The watch says Manuel on the dial-not manual, perhaps it doesn't matter, apparently most don't notice.

Yup. I just wanted to post a pic of Manuel from Fawlty Towers, and that was the funniest one I could find.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 17th 2017, 10:11am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2iAFbWmjL8[/youtube]

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder