BOLDR Odyssey- Affordable, 500-meter Dive Watch

Watches and such at Kickstarter.

BOLDR Odyssey- Affordable, 500-meter Dive Watch

Postby Racer-X » April 26th 2017, 2:15pm

by James Enloe "BOLDR Watches is a brand that has been more than a blip on our radar for a couple years now. BOLDR first caught our attention with their freshman project, the Voyage Clever, a smartwatch that, as the name implies, they cheekily called a “clever watch.” The project—which was essentially a quartz watch with an added “smart” module not too far off conceptually from what MMT set out to do—never hit its goal, and all funding was returned to backers. However, the brand did not retreat and close down. Instead, the team went back to the drawing board to produce the popular BOLDR Journey— a Seiko-powered meca-quartz chronograph with an attractive style and a large domed crystal."

Article at Worn & Wound
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: BOLDR Odyssey- Affordable, 500-meter Dive Watch

Postby conjurer » April 26th 2017, 2:30pm

It's certainly refreshing to see a dive watch without all those pesky numbers cluttering up the bezel.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » April 26th 2017, 4:39pm

I have chatted to these guys on WUS and they are complete dive watch noobs. It had a 6 screwed case back and I chipped them about it so they have changed it to a normal screw-down caseback.

I talked about the lack of numbers on the bezel and they were bemused at first but have come around and now say they will offer an indexed bezel option at some point along the way for those that want one.

In their favour at least they have taken feedback and acted on it.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 26th 2017, 5:13pm

bedlam wrote:I have chatted to these guys on WUS and they are complete dive watch noobs. It had a 6 screwed case back and I chipped them about it so they have changed it to a normal screw-down caseback.

I talked about the lack of numbers on the bezel and they were bemused at first but have come around and now say they will offer an indexed bezel option at some point along the way for those that want one.

In their favour at least they have taken feedback and acted on it.

Why waste your time? It's a piece of shit kickstarter watch.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 26th 2017, 5:23pm

I'm trying to soften my stance on Kickstarter folk.

Given that - nearly 300 smackers for another NH35 and all the obvious design flaws? When there's Seiko out there? And Orient? Or a freakin' Invicta, for sixty bucks if you shop around?

Honestly, what is the freaking point? I love all these guys, with their "radical" "new ideas" and "revolutionary" new watches. Again, I insist: Who the fuck asked in the first place? And with the "success" of their Journey watch, why not reinvest the profits into your business if the first one was such a big deal? Utter, steaming bullshit.

There's good reasons why top watch companies became so successful, and not a one of them had to resort to begging. Imagine that.
Last edited by TemerityB on April 26th 2017, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » April 26th 2017, 5:27pm

Yup TB, its a half-assed solution to a problem nobody had.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Return to Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects