In the Flesh: MONTA Oceanking

Watches and such at Kickstarter.

In the Flesh: MONTA Oceanking

Postby Racer-X » April 9th 2017, 9:40am

by Shane Griffin "It seems like everyday there are new watch brands popping up on Instagram and Kickstarter. Hell, Oak & Oscar’s debut feels like it was ages ago (in internet years, I guess it was). And truth be told, a lot of these upstart companies come off as money grabs, whether it’s because of a half-baked design, lack of originality, too much originality, or what have you. However, a few have truly caught our eye, which brings me to MONTA Watches, and their dive watch called the Oceanking.

Article at Wound for Life
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: In the Flesh: MONTA Oceanking

Postby foghorn » April 9th 2017, 9:51am

That's a lot of scratch for an unknown brand.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » April 9th 2017, 9:53am

A nice looking watch, but not for $3500. That's Seamaster territory.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » April 9th 2017, 1:43pm

conjurer wrote:A nice looking watch, but not for $3500. That's Seamaster territory.

I'll sell my Seamaster any day of the week and twice on Sunday to get a Monta....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 9th 2017, 1:48pm

conjurer wrote:A nice looking watch, but not for $3500. That's Seamaster territory.

Monta
eddiea wrote:I'll sell my Seamaster any day of the week and twice on Sunday to get a Monta....

schmonta.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 9th 2017, 5:46pm

My thoughts exactly, Mr. Conjurer- I've justified my assessment of the watch in pretty much the same way in the thread on WUS' Watch Concepts and Designs sub-forum, where Schmonta first sought opinions about their design.

It looks nice, and it has a great movement- an Eterna ebauche is a breath of fresh air in the company of countless 2824/SW-200-powered divers. But it's not good value for the money- if I were to spend that much on a contemporary diver (which likely won't happen soon, if at all), I'd rather buy a Black Bay or a Seamaster Pro. First of all, both have a diving bezel that you can actually use- the lack of a lumed pip on the bezel makes it hardly of any actual use. Besides, just who the fuck is Schmonta to ask Omega/Tudor money for the Oceancock?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby codguy » April 9th 2017, 6:04pm

On the plus side, it doesn't have the Black Bay hour hand.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » April 9th 2017, 6:36pm

From my reading it seems they have put some work into this watch, and it looks quite good. They'll be pushing shit up hill as a brand new watch outfit to move them at that price, though.

For me at that price a watch needs to be functionally perfect and have a look that sets it apart from the crowd. This is supposed to be a 1000m dive watch but has a fashion bezel and an unprotected crown...and a look that is clean but unassuming at best. The date window is too fussy for the rest of the dial and there is nothing about it that really pulls me in.

Meh.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 9th 2017, 7:12pm

So let's see ... 3500 smackers for this with its Eterna movement, or maybe $1.800 or so for an Eterna KonTiki Super if I shop around hard enough?

Double meh.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » April 9th 2017, 9:55pm

TemerityB wrote:So let's see ... 3500 smackers for this with its Eterna movement, or maybe $1.800 or so for an Eterna KonTiki Super if I shop around hard enough?

Double meh.

The Kontiki Super gives me a super boner.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » April 10th 2017, 12:19am

Bremont is flooded, way too much inventory, a new Supermarine 2000 with authorized b&p could be had for $4k or less on 47th St.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects