My Best Friend

Related to your pets. Does not include girlfriends/boy friends

Re: My Best Friend

Postby Nuvolari » December 29th 2015, 10:47pm

What a beautifully worded tribute, Tee! I'm sorry for your loss but I can only think of the old cliche that it is still better to have loved and suffer loss than to not have know that kind of love...

Sorry man, that sucks.

TemerityB wrote:It's been an utter 15-year love affair. In 2000 at North Shore Animal League in Long Island, my wife and I adopted a tiny little chow mix which we named Belle (she was trucked to NY from Virginia, hence the "southern belle").

I don't want to say too much right now, because i could write volumes, and it still wouldn't be enough. I'm a flawed human being just like everyone else, but my time with Belle was perfect. I don't regret a single poop bag, any walks in six inches of snow, cleaning vomit off the carpet occasionally ... none of it. I have treasured every ride, every mooch, every treat, every trip to the vet, every moment.

We were really lucky with our chow/belgian shepherd mixed breed dog. 15! Both breeds aren't supposed to live nearly that long. But in January of this year, we found a melanoma on her lip and cut it off immediately. With dogs of her age, they usually turn to cancer somewhere else - and it did, but not until 11 months later in November when they found cancer in her lung. We were told not to expect her to be around much longer, but it was only this past few days - the Christmas four-day break - that she really decided to lose it. Today, we put an end to her suffering. We couldn't let it go on for a day longer than it had to.

I miss my best friend so badly right now that I can't even describe it. I wish you all a friend like this, and thanks for giving me a place to vent a little. This photo below is my wife and dog just yesterday. Belle has been gone only a couple of hours as I write this, but ... damn. I'm so lucky. 15 years. The amazing relationship I had with this wacky, confident, mature, and lovable dog. The photo below is the last ever taken of her, just shot at her final trip to the park yesterday. But, damn ... as i look around the apartment and see her bed, her toys, her chair, her spot ... I'm the loneliest bastard on the planet.

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 30th 2016, 9:48am

Somebody asked for a Belle story: A few years ago, they had the first "Bark In The Park" day at what then was Shea Stadium, where fans can actually bring their dogs inside the stadium for a game. We used to call Belle "nature girl" because this dog loved the outdoors. She loved to "roll" - in grass, deep snow, even small pools of water, she'd lower her head and just dive in. Feet kicking in the air, tongue wagging, eyes full of excitement when she rolled; it was hilarious. And she'd do it for like five minutes at a stretch.

So I think my favorite Belle moment was this dizzy dog rolling like a maniac in the third base coache's box at Shea, accompanied by the sounds of the howling laughter by the Washington Nationals' dugout, as players and coaches were hysterical watching my dog rolling around like a mental case. Wish I had a photo.
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby fatman » January 30th 2016, 10:07am

That is a good memory T.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby Kahuna74 » January 30th 2016, 3:50pm

So sorry for you loss T. I wish I could say that I have loved like that.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » January 30th 2016, 8:20pm

Missed this back in December.

Thank you for sharing the story of your furry friend with us. Am so sorry she is gone now.

The older I get, the less I like people and the more I love my dogs.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby abduksion » January 30th 2016, 9:28pm

Sorry to hear the only dog I was close to belonged to my grandparents
but I never had a strong connection.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby TemerityB » December 29th 2016, 10:11am

Yesterday marked one year to the day that I lost my best friend. Honestly, this is the first thing in my life that I've never been able to shake; guess I'm a softie these days. Well, I miss her and I don't care if others don't understand. Everybody should have it as good as I did.
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » December 29th 2016, 11:23am

TemerityB wrote:Image

Yesterday marked one year to the day that I lost my best friend. Honestly, this is the first thing in my life that I've never been able to shake; guess I'm a softie these days. Well, I miss her and I don't care if others don't understand. Everybody should have it as good as I did.

You never forget them. The 21st marked a year to the day I had to put down PITA. Still miss that stupid, loving stray cat. viewtopic.php?f=177&t=31950

I hate to say it but it never gets any easier. I imagine that is a tribute to how much they meant to us.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » December 29th 2016, 11:44am

koimaster wrote:I hate to say it but it never gets any easier. I imagine that is a tribute to how much they meant to us.

Yes. And I know there are people who don't understand how much pets can mean to a person. That's fine; each to their own. To those that do understand, I've found the best thing to do lean on each other and exchange stories and photos. Really takes the edge off.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Previous

Return to Pet World