Her Royal Highness

Related to your pets. Does not include girlfriends/boy friends

Her Royal Highness

Postby Tzimisces » November 11th 2015, 6:54pm

This is our 16 yr old cat, Molly Brown. When I lived in the Berkshires, I worked for a millwright company, and one of our contracts was a trash processing plant in Hartford, CT. One night, one of the workers at the plant (they were mostly convicts on work-release; the work was, almost literally, shitty), found a kitten that was only a few days old. He insisted I had to take her ("We all have more cats than we can keep!"). Apparently the mother went through the shredder, and the huge dump rats picked off her siblings, one by one. She was curled up in the huge rubber conveyor belt we were installing. Her eyes were shut, she had worms, and the atomic fleas had nearly sucked her dry. I took her home, and my youngest (pictured above a few weeks before he died), held her in his hand. He was only 6 yrs old, and she fit neatly in his little hand. When my little mutt Rocky went up for a sniff, she reared up, hissing and spitting. I knew then she would be fine, what with all the fight still in her. The vet kept her for a week, then we took her, much against the vets advice. She warned us that feral cats without mothers tend to be wild, even mean. We read up, and tried to treat her as a mother cat would, i.e. offering gentle discipline when she got nuts, which was almost always.
She turned into an amazing friend. She walked the kids to the bus stop every morning, and was there every afternoon when they got off. My son joked that she just stayed, so she wouldn't have to walk home. From the beginning, she loved riding on shoulders, and even now, she greets me at my truck every evening, and rides in on my shoulders. She'll sit on my shoulders for hours, if I let her. Sometimes I forget she's there, until she tries to steal the food off of my fork on its way to my mouth.
She sleeps against my head, and it is hard to get up on a cold morning with a cat literally purring in your ear. Still, if I don't get up when she wants me to, she'll touch my eyelids with her paws, and ever so gently extend her claws. If that fails, she simply goes to my nightstand and starts knocking everything off.
She has always been an outdoor cat, except for the few times she's had to stay in because of a minor injury. Once she had an infection in her eye,and not only did she take her medicine with good grace, she also let me smear cream in her eye every day, without protest.
When we walk the dogs around the town square, she would always tag along. Two dogs on leashes, and a cat trotting along. A few years ago she would tire, and expect a shoulder ride the rest of the way. Now she just stays home.

We've all had that animal friend with which we share an extra special connection, and Molly is mine. You might guess the origin of her name: She came from the wrong side of the tracks, and became a lady.
Last edited by Tzimisces on November 11th 2015, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Her Royal Highness

Postby conjurer » November 11th 2015, 7:12pm

Yup. That's a real royal cat there, Tz. A fine pic of her on your late son's shoulders, too. The whole story made me smile a lot and my eyes tear up a bit.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » November 11th 2015, 7:13pm

Pets are a blessing in disguise. It sounds like Molly broke you guys in and had you trained, in no time at all.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » November 11th 2015, 7:16pm

Aw, that one brought tears to my eyes. So glad you have the memories and photos of that furry bugger with your son.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » November 11th 2015, 7:18pm

She's beautiful. And wise-which is evident by her gaze. You didn't take that photo-she gave it to you.

I'd like to order a pizza to go with no anchovies.
No anchovies? --- you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger".

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Tzimisces » November 11th 2015, 7:47pm

svaglic wrote:Pets are a blessing in disguise. It sounds like Molly broke you guys in and had you trained, in no time at all.

Oh, we are well trained indeed. One quirk, she refuses to drink from a bowl of any sort, except for her morning 1/2 & 1/2 (while I have my coffee). If I put a clean cup full of water on the counter, she will sometimes take a drink, but she prefers that we fill up a bathroom sink. While the kids were here, our bathroom and theirs always had water in the sink.
She also has a weakness for hot cocoa, and will bull-rush the mug and stuff her head in. Of course, she gets her own; it just easier. She also like Doritos, for some reason. The older she gets, the less she cares for social niceties, like many feisty old ladies. She used to sit patiently for a treat off of a dinner plate, now she just charges in, and acts affronted when rebuffed.

In my experience, outdoor cats tend not to live too long, the world is filled with dangers for small animals. She is pretty savvy, though. I once came home to find she had cornered a copperhead snake (venomous, for foreign readers). She watched while I killed and buried it, then rode in, of course, on my shoulders. Having an outdoor cat means no litter box, which is nice. Even in a heavy rain, she goes outside. I can wait at the door while she dashes to the big tree in the front yard, digs a quick hole, does her business, then dashes back in again.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » November 11th 2015, 8:27pm

:D
Cats are amazing. Our first, a red tiger literally chose to move in with us. We were living in an apartment on a former farm at that time, and one of the farm cats had kittens. You couldn't touch the mother, and thus the kittens were sweet, but evasive as hell. I think there were 3 or 4 of them, I don't remember, one was our later "Fox". One warm summer night, when we slept with open window, he decided to come inside, jump on our bed and settle down at our feet to stay the whole night. Saskia and I were completely amazed. We started feeding him then, but it took another couple of weeks before You could as much as touch him with a very outstretched arm. He must have been only few months old when he did fall seriously sick - we never knew exactly what it was - so we had to literally take him in and keep him inside for a good week. Then the ice was broken and You could touch and cuddle him, later his trust was so high, You could apply any form of medicine without slightest protest. When we moved to our new home, we had to keep him inside for some time - he was really offended like hell. Stayed under one of Saskia's workbenches for a good week, not even say a word - until he decided that now it was time. When going to bed we made a ritual out of finding where he was, taking him and carrying to our bed. Immediately when lifting him he would start purring all the way til You put him upon the bed. He died at the age of 10, hit by a car - that is indeed the fate of many outdoor cats. :(

Both he and his successor (also red tiger, but a female - full name is Fräulein Line Seidenpelz), and the dogs, love to drink from all kind of things, but their water bowl (Fox and Line never even had one). Favorite are watering-cans.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » November 12th 2015, 5:58am

I always thought the house cats looked at me and saw a two dollar steak.

From USA Today 11.01.15

Your cat may want to kill you.

But research published in a psychology journal calls them neurotic and unstable.

Researchers from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and the Bronx Zoo in New York compared the personalities of domestic house cats to those of four different types of wildcats.

To better understand feline personalities, the researchers rated a number of animals' behaviors on what psychologists call the Big Five human personality traits:

Extraversion
Agreeableness
Conscientiousness
Neuroticism and
Openness

Domestic house cats and have similar personality structures to African lions with high inclinations toward dominance, impulsiveness and neuroticism, the researchers found.

“It’s what cats pretty much do on a daily basis, things like being anxious, being timid, being excitable, being aggressive toward humans, being aggressive toward each other," said Max Wachtel, a Denver psychologist not affiliated with the study. "All of those are characteristics you see in those cute little fuzzy house cats, and you also see them in lions.”
If you ever thought your cat was anxious, insecure, tense, suspicious or aggressive toward you, you aren't making it up, he said. If they were bigger, they probably would consider killing you.

But the news isn't all bad: Just like lions, house cats are also playful, excitable and impulsively hilarious.

They just aren't very predictable. One moment cats will be enjoying belly scratches and purring, and the next they will be biting you to make you stop.

"It is good to understand the personality characteristics of our pets," Wachtel said. "Different cats have different personalities, but as a species, there are a lot of commonalities."
The researchers also studied personality traits of clouded leopards, snow leopards and Scottish wildcats.

"Across the five felid species we assessed, personality structure was strikingly similar and also seemed to be related to other studies’ findings, such as in cheetahs and tigers," the researchers wrote in their study in the November 2014 issue of the Journal of Comparative Psychology. But house cats were most like lions, potentially because they live in semi-social surroundings and lions are the most social of cats.

"They're cute and furry and cuddly, but we need to remember when we have cats as pets, we are inviting little predators into our house," Wachtel said. "Cats can be fantastic, sweet companions — until they turn on you."
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » November 12th 2015, 6:41am

No truer video of how cats are than the "Sad Cat Diary."

http://youtu.be/PKffm2uI4dk
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Pet World