My 2 ferals

Related to your pets. Does not include girlfriends/boy friends

My 2 ferals

Postby svaglic » April 18th 2015, 11:44am

Here is my boy Buddy, my dad calls him Buddy Lee, my brother calls him Bud Poo (instead of Bond, James Bond he gets called Poo, Bud Poo).
He was born blind in one eye, a 3 1/2" tail with 7 bends and folds and a deformed hip. He can't run, climb a tree or jump on anything higher than a couch or bed. His mother should have pushed him out of the litter, but she kept him and protected him from the other wild cats that tried to get him. I watched him play and try to keep up with the rest of the litter and when his mom wouldn't let him nurse anymore, I caught him and brought him home. I raised him to think he is the man, he is very smart, surprising with his physical deformities. He hates being told no and will follow me through the house screaming at me when I say it. Despite being feral, he loves people, gets in their laps and falls asleep. He loves attention and a good belly rub. He is full of personality and an alpha male.
Sleeping with his screaming slingshot monkey, this not a staged photo, he was kicking it and fell asleep with it.
He had to see what Homie was eating. Sometimes Buddy lunges at Homie and makes him scream, he never attacks him with his claws out, but he definitely has his bluff in on Homie.
Here he is with his catnip toy, 15 years old and still plays.
Here is my autistic cat Baby Girl, she is a dainty 7 lbs, but is a straight up thug. She used to terrorize the dogs in the neighborhood. You can't pet her and talk to her at the same time, it's too much stimulation. She comes to me on her terms and that is rarely. She does sleep in my bed at night, but she mostly wants to be left alone. She loves Buddy and plays with him, if you can get her to purr she sounds like a cooing dove. She largely ignores Homie, but she will stare at him and make him nervous.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: My 2 ferals

Postby Mortuus » April 18th 2015, 11:57am

Svagy, this post has me wiping my eyes furiously before Mrs. Mort notices all that water and calls BS on my standard "it's just allergies" excuse. What a special, wonderful little family you have! God bless you for loving and protecting those special needs critters. You're an exceptional person, svagy; thanks for posting this. Dang! I think I need glasses...my vision is all blurry again. :oops:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » April 18th 2015, 12:17pm

Awesome - who knew a cat could be autistic?

Feral cats are great pets, surprisingly. My first cat, Snow Leopard, was a feral. We lived in Townsville at the time in a big old two storey house. Dad used to sit by his bedroom window at night taking shots at the feral cats with his air rifle. He couldn't work out why this particular grey moggy kept coming back. It might have had something to do with the food and milk mum was giving it every day when he went to work!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby gregl515 » April 18th 2015, 1:44pm

I thought this was going to be a Conjurer post about ferrets.
"When you can't feel pain, you're dead!", Sgt. Laskodi, U.S.M.C.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker, U.S.M.C. (The Sands of Iwo Jima).
gregl515
WIS - Retired

Postby conjurer » April 18th 2015, 2:13pm

Those are two awesome felines, Allison. Goddamn it, where's my hankie??
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Kahuna74 » April 18th 2015, 2:47pm

I told you, you are an Angel.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » April 18th 2015, 4:13pm

Kahuna74 wrote:I told you, you are an Angel.

Nah, I just wanted to give him a chance at a good life.
Since he was wild and clumsy as hell, he destroyed so much in my home. He chewed up an antique China doll and scattered the filling, a straw like substance, all through the house. Fell into so many ceramic, glass and porcelain items I had on display etc.... he has cost me so much money.
I just kept telling myself.... you brought home a wild, clumsy animal. How did you think he would act?
I didn't want to discipline him and take away what little self esteem he had, so he got away with murder.
He taught me patience and his little soul has touched mine, he brought the hint of nice out in me.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 18th 2015, 5:38pm

I am going to have to agree with Kahuna on this one. You are one special person, Alison!

Those who know you are fortunate indeed!

Thanks for sharing the kitties with us. My maternal grandmother had dozens of cats on her property (10 acres); but, never more than a couple in the house. I loved cats growing up!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » April 18th 2015, 6:14pm

Angel indeed. Great story, thanks for sharing svag.
Last edited by Racer-X on April 18th 2015, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » April 18th 2015, 9:09pm

biglove wrote:

I am going to have to agree with Kahuna on this one. You are one special person, Alison!

Thanks for sharing the kitties with us. My maternal grandmother had dozens of cats on her property (10 acres); but, never more than a couple in the house. I loved cats growing up!

The most I've ever had in my home at one time is 3. Right now I am feeding an outside pregnant female cat. I just don't want her to go without food. She was scruffy and gnarley looking when I first saw her, but now her coat shines and she will rub on my legs.
I am terrified of mice, so I figure if I have a couple inside and a good one outside I should never have a mouse.
Once she has her kittens I will try to trap her and get her spayed. I'm not sure what will happen to the kittens, maybe I can catch them and get them fixed. I hate spending that kind of money on them, but it will give them a fair shot in life.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 18th 2015, 10:45pm

svaglic wrote:
biglove wrote:

The most I've ever had in my home at one time is 3. Right now I am feeding an outside pregnant female cat. I just don't want her to go without food. She was scruffy and gnarley looking when I first saw her, but now her coat shines and she will rub on my legs.
I am terrified of mice, so I figure if I have a couple inside and a good one outside I should never have a mouse.
Once she has her kittens I will try to trap her and get her spayed. I'm not sure what will happen to the kittens, maybe I can catch them and get them fixed. I hate spending that kind of money on them, but it will give them a fair shot in life.

Big Kahuna was right.

If there is a God, which I profoundly doubt, those who do kindness to animals will sit at His right hand.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Wasp » April 19th 2015, 5:19am

You're a good soul.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Dr.Morningwood » April 19th 2015, 6:47am

Growing up with a dog from the age of 6 -23, I swore I would never own a cat. Was always a dog person.

About 12 years ago, after going through a Rabbit, a couple of Guinea Pigs and a Hamster, my wife and daughter's wanted a cat. I gave in, mainly because I did not want to wake up at 5-6am to walk a dog and pick up it's crap. We have had Maggie ever since. Love her!! My wife and daughter's admit that she loves me the most. She was a rescue cat.

Funny how cat's can have that on people.
A good friend of mine had a feral cat running around his backyard. It started by him leaving food out for it, then picking about 40 ticks off of it. I told him it was a matter of time before he would take the cat in. He told me no way. Long story short: It is completely his indoor cat now!!

Svaglic: If you have not read it yet, may I recommend a book for you(or any other cat lover) to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Homers-Odyssey-Fe ... 27s+oddesy
Dr.Morningwood
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 19th 2015, 6:12pm

sv, I've always admired you. Even more so now. Ferals are not easy - we had a long adventure with one in our NYC apartment building. So, I can't be more impressed. Nice job.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby jason_recliner » April 19th 2015, 6:18pm

Yep, cats are awesome. And not just because they are smart enough to bury their poop.

(I also like dogs)
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » April 17th 2017, 5:13pm

I had to put Buddy Lee down today. What an emotional roller coaster the last few hours have been.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » April 17th 2017, 5:20pm

Sorry to hear that Svaglic. Must be tough to let them go but the right thing to do if they are suffering. Feel better. :D
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 17th 2017, 5:41pm

So sorry to hear this.
I've been there a few times and it hurts.
Just know that you made his life exponentially better through your love and care and he'll love you back forever.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 17th 2017, 5:48pm

Oh, man.

Al, all the best to you right now. Anything i can type in would be meager and not sufficient.

I think all of our hearts are with yours right now. Thanks for sharing your friend with us.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » April 17th 2017, 6:03pm

I held him and petted him while the Vet did his thing. I have no doubt I did the right thing, I felt my heart break though.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » April 17th 2017, 6:47pm

I'm so sorry. You provided him an excellent life.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » April 17th 2017, 8:52pm

svaglic wrote:I held him and petted him while the Vet did his thing. I have no doubt I did the right thing, I felt my heart break though.

That is always so hard; but, is the right thing to do. I know he will be missed sorely.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Ofcmark » April 17th 2017, 9:34pm

There's nothing I can say to ease the pain in your heart, I've been there myself several times there's no goodway to say goodbye. Know in your heart that you did the right thing for him and know he had a better life living with you. My thoughts and prayers are with you
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » April 17th 2017, 10:08pm

I'm very sorry to hear this, Allison. I don't have the words, but to say that your kindness in taking in Bobby Lee, you did a great thing. Being a pet owner offers fine rewards, but naturally, at the end, we have to do the right thing. Stay strong.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » April 18th 2017, 12:25am

I have said goodbye to all of my previous 'fur children' in the same way that you did, holding them and loving on them until the end. It is never easy, and it always hurts more than we can conceive of, no matter that we've had to do it before. And you're soooo right; you DO feel your heart breaking as that last breath is drawn in and let out, and their eyes no longer reflect their presence. I wish I was there with you so I could give you a big hug, but the best I can do from where I am is tell you that the heart does mend, albeit not completely; the grief that stays with us is just part of the overwhelming love we feel for them, and I believe it is a necessary thing so that we never forget them.

But it does get better; I promise. All of us are here for you, and you know that, so please feel free to tell us how you're doing along the way, even if you're not so red hot. Okay? Okay...

OBTW: you're the best, Allison. The absolute BEST.
Okay, so I was wrong... http://thewatchforum.net/forum/index.php ...but I was never so glad to be incorrect... ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Next

Return to Pet World