TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Quartz

TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Quartz

Postby koimaster » January 18th 2017, 11:29am

While the headlines at SIHH 2017 are more or less dominated by incredible complications and equally incredible price tags, it’s nice - almost refreshing - to find that some brands like TAG Heuer haven’t totally abandoned accessibility and are still committed to producing a quality "gateway drug" into watches. And while that drug may differ for nearly every type of watch collector out there, it’s safe to say that there are still a good many of them whose first “nice Swiss watch” is powered by the approachability and simplicity of a quartz movement. For this latter group of watch fans (or anyone chasing the convenience of an attractive, well-made "grab-and-go" watch), TAG Heuer continues to support its popular and economical quartz line by introducing some exclusive color treatments and a 43mm case to its perennially capable Aquaracer line.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag-heuer-a ... L_CAMPAIGN)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Quartz

Postby TemerityB » January 18th 2017, 11:41am

I go against the grain in that I traditionally like Tag Heuer, and think the brand has gotten a bad rap due to its popularity/spending on celebrity endorsements. However, for the past five years the quartz Aquaracer line certainly qualifies as the most overpriced watch line I can think of, and by miles. According to the article, these new models start at $1,600, which is only about $900 too high. Maybe that's why of the four Tags that I own, not a one of them was purchased new; every one was pre-owned.
Last edited by TemerityB on January 18th 2017, 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way." - Neil Young
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » January 18th 2017, 1:28pm

TemerityB wrote:I go against the grain in that I traditionally like Tag Heuer, and think the brand has gotten a bad rap due to its popularity/spending on celebrity endorsements. However, for the past five years the quartz Aquaracer line certainly qualifies as the most overpriced watch line I can think of, and my miles. According to the article, these new models start at $1,600, which is only about $900 too high. Maybe that's why of the four Tags that I own, not a one of them was purchased new; every one was pre-owned.

I could not agree more on the overpriced nature of their Quartz watches. They have positioned themselves well above what I think they are worth. A $30 Swiss Ronda movement in a $1700 watch, stainless steel, is some real BS. Talk about successful marketing of a brand and TAG is difficult to beat.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » January 18th 2017, 3:27pm

I'd wear the crap out of that bad boi if it was half the price!

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » January 18th 2017, 5:30pm

foghorn wrote:I'd wear the crap out of that bad boi if it was half the price!

Well, there ya go.

I have a quartz Tag from the 2000 series (precursor to the Aquaracer series) and the movement, at the very least, has an end of life indicator, and I can't even recall the last time I've had to change a battery in the watch, and i've had it for years. Frankly, when I go quartz, the EOLI is a big plus in my book (yeah, I know).
"Funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way." - Neil Young
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » January 18th 2017, 5:44pm

TemerityB wrote:
foghorn wrote:I'd wear the crap out of that bad boi if it was half the price!

Well, there ya go.

I have a quartz Tag from the 2000 series (precursor to the Aquaracer series) and the movement, at the very least, has an end of life indicator, and I can't even recall the last time I've had to change a battery in the watch, and i've had it for years. Frankly, when I go quartz, the EOLI is a big plus in my book (yeah, I know).

Some sort of end-of-life indicator is necessary for the ISO standard on quartz dive watches.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby robatsu » January 18th 2017, 11:30pm

I'm partial to Tag quartz divers, had 3 Pro 1000's back when they were current, used them for diving/etc., was very much a default choice then.

A while back, picked up this then-NOS one.

I'm wondering what, counting for inflation, a typical Pro 1k would sell for vs. Aquaracer quartz now.

The other thing I'd say is that back in the Pro 1k days, the watch was used by serious recreational and otherwise divers, it was perceived as a real diving watch.

My take on it as a single guy in my late 20s was that it was upscale enough to wear around town but affordable and suited for diving/utility tool watch function as well.

Nowadays, I wonder what proportion of Aquaracers ever get used for diving. It is an interesting question.
robatsu
Master of Time

Return to Heuer & Tag Heuer