What, Marv Throneberry was busy?

What, Marv Throneberry was busy?

Postby TemerityB » March 17th 2015, 8:17pm

This one floors me. Just read a press release about Tag Heuer's new "brand ambassador"...

I mean...the most over-celebrated athlete since Danica Patrick/Tim Tebow (tie). Cripes...literally a handful of good games while with the Knicks created "Linsanity," he's since been with two teams - and is now leading the LA Lakers into sheer mediocrity. The bigest headlines Lin has made this season were his butting heads with coach Byron Scott over Lin's propensity for making more turnovers than the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

For this, he gets a Tag endorsement. The choice is mind-boggling. I know, I know, the whole cultural thing, but Lin is to good basketball what Eyal Lalo is to the Swiss Federation. And if you buy watches based on who endorses them, I got a vat o' chocolate milk to sell ya.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: What, Marv Throneberry was busy?

Postby svaglic » March 17th 2015, 8:34pm

Tonya Harding should do Timex. I can see her quoting; it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Or.... she could do Reactor. I can see her with a baseball bat, knocking them out of the park (a trailer park) then showing they still work.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 17th 2015, 8:44pm

Alex Rodriguez for Android

Abe Vigoda for Fossil

Warren Sapp for Police (many other options)

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » March 17th 2015, 9:02pm

Ryan Leaf for Strider.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 17th 2015, 10:22pm

Tzimisces wrote:Ryan Leaf for Strider.

Classic!

How about Vin Diesel for Swiss Legend? Both are equally Swiss.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Horse Feathers » March 17th 2015, 11:07pm

TemerityB wrote:

Classic!

Vin Diesel for Diesel?

I think the current version of Carrot Top would be a great Invicta rep. Decreasingly relevant, garish, fake and out of scale an neither completely understands the joke is on them. He would definitely appeal to the roid raging display case smashing audience.

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 18th 2015, 5:25am

Horse Feathers wrote:
TemerityB wrote:

Classic!

Vin Diesel for Diesel?

I think the current version of Carrot Top would be a great Invicta rep. Decreasingly relevant, garish, fake and out of scale an neither completely understands the joke is on them. He would definitely appeal to the roid raging display case smashing audience.

I agree to the Carrot Top thing! He's one of those walking jokes who gets a laugh without being overtly funny.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby mikiehorn » March 18th 2015, 9:19pm

Let's get back to Marvelous Marv ... 'Acclaimed' starting first baseman for the 1962 NY Mets (who lost 120 games) he became a spokesperson for Miller Lite beer ... saying in their ads - "if I do for Miller Lite what I did for baseball their sales would go down " ... and who could forget a quote from Jimmy Breslin, " "Having Marv Throneberry play for your team is like having Willie Sutton work for your bank."

As a young kid growing up in Brooklyn - the departure of the Dodgers from Ebbits Field in 1956 crushed my desire for Major League Baseball. The 1962 NY Mets - playing in the then ancient Polo Grounds - vacated by the NY Giants baseball team were a hollow shell of a baseball team. Pitcher Roger Craig went 3-24 that year - certainly not even close to Cy Young stats ...

The team was sooooooooooo bad - they brought back aging players from former Brooklyn and NY Giants teams like Willie Mays and Duke Snider - sigh... Manager Casey Stengel brought a side show atmosphere to the ball games. When a senior in college in Morgantown West Virginia in 1969 - the Mets won a world series - with me 'worlds away' ...

Marv Throneberry died of cancer in 1994 ... RIP Marvelous Marv 8-)
mikiehorn
Watchlord WIS

Return to Heuer & Tag Heuer