1st Impressions On My Hydroscaph Chronometer

1st Impressions On My Hydroscaph Chronometer

Postby tiktok » March 21st 2015, 12:31pm

Thank you for providing a forum to discuss this small brand. I read a lot about the Hydroscaph before setting out to find one. I discovered there was an AD in NY and went to the store for some wrist time. Personally I love design driven watches and I own a Nubeo Jellyfish, a brand that was all about the case and the build and not so much about the movement. The Clerc seems to be about the build and the movement although I am not sure exactly what the movement is, I realize a small brand cannot really be a manufature but I am confused about the pedigree of the movement. It sounds like a base movement that has been heavily reworked by an unnamed third party like Dubois Depraz. I am not sure at what point a brand can give the movement a unique name, how much reworking of the base calibre warrants this moniker, but I accept it and it is COSC so that definitely shows intense adjustment if it starts out as a base calibre. The porthole effect on the caseback to view the movement is cool but I personally enjoy seeing the whole thing although that can create additional complication as far as water resistance.

The overall design to me is extraordinary, sort of Blade Runner meets Captain Nemo. I agree with posters that there are some very real issues when one drills into the design. The CClip bezel is very safe but rather difficult to operate and I can see having even more problems once one is in full dive mode, I cannot imagine operating the bezel with scuba gloves on. Also the date wheel is not readable at my advanced age, it very much reminds me of the IWC Mark XVII wheel but lacks the size and legibility. On the flip side, the rubber bracelet is extraordinary, it is the nicest rubber I have seen on any watch and I have tried on many. The deployant is comfortable too.

In spite of these issues I really bought it for the overall aesthetic of the watch. The first thing that really stands out is the sizing of the watch. On paper it looks like a beast but the watch sits very comfortably on my 7.25 inch wrist. The case bottom is very wide horizontally but the upper bezel part of the watch is cut out at angles that really put the focus inside the dial. Also the articulated hinges are brilliant and make this watch workable on any size wrist as well as over a wet suit. This is the only watch of this size and thickness that I can wear, IWCs and Panerais will not fit on my puny wrist but this sits grandly on mine.

So for me this is a work of art at an accesible price point with a COSC movement, I am pretty anal about the seconds gained/lost issue after owning some higher end watches that hover around -2/+3 a day. It completes my need for big watches, I have a JLC Squadra Palermo which is also a beast but is very long vertically but narrow and I can focus on my 39mm comfort zone for dressier watches. Also, I have already experienced great customer service direct from Clerc. The first watch I got was running way fast, I won't even mention how fast, perhaps it had been magnetically impacted along the way, and after one day I brought it back to the AD. I have been around this game long enough to know bleep happens so I didn't freak out but made it clear that I could not live with the piece they had sold me. I got a call back from the AD 3 hours later and said a replacement had been mailed out from Switzerland and would be here in a few days...and it was. It ran +4 the first day and I will be wearing, winding and watching it for the first week. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to put in my initial two cents and I will probably have more to say as me and the watch move forward.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: 1st Impressions On My Hydroscaph Chronometer

Postby foghorn » March 21st 2015, 2:26pm

Nice review tick!

And the best sleeve shot ever!!!!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby tiktok » March 21st 2015, 2:36pm

Thanks Foghorn. I am finding the CClip easier to use with practice. Yes this is a great watch to wear in severe environments be it deep water diving or as was the case here yesterday, a freaking snow blizzard. I felt very confident being outside in extreme snow with the watch outside my coat. Glad you like the photo.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 21st 2015, 2:42pm

Welcome, Tocker! I agree with foggy (which is, in itself, a rare event) that this was a great fucking review. Just enough words! Some more pics would be welcome, too.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » March 21st 2015, 2:51pm

The fish will never see you coming in camo. Smart.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Horse Feathers » March 21st 2015, 2:52pm

foghorn wrote:Nice review tick!

Too much foresleeve!

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 21st 2015, 2:59pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
foghorn wrote:Nice review tick!

Too much foresleeve!

I assumed that he was European.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » March 21st 2015, 3:02pm

Always have liked those. By the time a company like CLERC is done with a base movement, it is a mere shadow of its' former self. Your analyzation of it's timekeeping should prove satisfactory. Sounds like the CS is outstanding, in case.

Are you in the service, or do you require blending in for another reason? Why the hell do you need to wear your watch outta your sleeve? Job related? That's how you grampa wore his watch? It's a good post, however, it creates more questions than it answers. New members frequently post an intro in the Intro Section where they tell us more than we really want to know about them, their life, their purpose, their watches, and so forth, but, ya sound ok enough to me alright, and the CLERC is a nice watch alright, so I'll just welcome here; enjoy yourself, the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » March 21st 2015, 3:21pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. To answer the question I walk a large pack of big dogs every day rain or snow and need to be aware of time so that's why my watch was worn on the outside yesterday. Also it is hard to see the watch if I wear it closer to the cuff while being pulled by three hundred pounds of animal. Here's a few more shots.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jeromepineau » March 21st 2015, 3:46pm

Hi tiktok,
First, let me welcome you to the CLERC family and congratulate you on your purchase. Please email me at jpineau@clercwatches.com and I will send you a 2 year warranty extension handwritten by our CEO Gérald Clerc. Which AD did you purchase your H1 from?
What you describe is a classic case of unpowered movement and not anything related to magnetism. Your manual should have described the procedure to power up your new CLERC: when you first get it, pull out the crown to its initial position (neutral) and then give it a good 40 or so turns. Then start wearing the watch normally as the automatic movement starts also getting power from motion.
This is something you need to do for many such automatics - if you don't do this and just start wearing the piece the what you describe can happen - it will run either super slow or fast. I am surprised your AD did not know this.
Please email me directly with any other questions and/or comments. Welcome again to the Clerciste family.
J.
Jerome Pineau
marketing | communication
CLERC Genève
clercwatches.com
@clercwatches
jeromepineau
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jeromepineau » March 21st 2015, 3:49pm

tiktok wrote:Thanks Foghorn. I am finding the CClip easier to use with practice. Yes this is a great watch to wear in severe environments be it deep water diving or as was the case here yesterday, a freaking snow blizzard. I felt very confident being outside in extreme snow with the watch outside my coat. Glad you like the photo.

C|CLIP is meant to be used before a dive to set the bezel as needed and then set back into the locked position - presumably before you put gloves on.
Yours,
J.
Jerome Pineau
marketing | communication
CLERC Genève
clercwatches.com
@clercwatches
jeromepineau
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » March 21st 2015, 3:57pm

Welcome to the forum and I love the watch,,,
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » March 21st 2015, 4:03pm

Jerome thank you for the response. I assure you the watch was powered up by hand winding on day one and two. I am not a newbie to the world of automatics. Thank you for the warranty extension, that is the sign of a great company, I know Mssr Biver made it a hallmark of his time at Hublot. I bought it in New York, I think there is only one AD there.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » March 21st 2015, 6:51pm

Nice review and photos.

Welcome!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » March 21st 2015, 6:51pm

jeromepineau wrote: Your manual should have described the procedure to power up your new CLERC: when you first get it, pull out the crown to its initial position (neutral) and then give it a good 40 or so turns.

Just make sure you don't press the gas pedal or you will flood it.

All these years I have been "powering up" my watches by pulling out the stem and winding them. I guess I'm just a part of the great unwashed.

SMFH

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 21st 2015, 7:04pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
jeromepineau wrote: Your manual should have described the procedure to power up your new CLERC: when you first get it, pull out the crown to its initial position (neutral) and then give it a good 40 or so turns.

Just make sure you don't press the gas pedal or you will flood it.

All these years I have been "powering up" my watches by pulling out the stem and winding them. I guess I'm just a part of the great unwashed.

SMFH

I like to shake my watches like I'm a meth addict abusing his kids!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » March 21st 2015, 7:24pm

We are not worthy.
BTW-I'm still in the market for a quartz watch winder. I'm sick of changing batteries every 3-7 years.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » March 21st 2015, 7:26pm

foghorn wrote:We are not worthy.
BTW-I'm still in the market for a quartz watch winder. I'm sick of changing batteries every 3-7 years.

Be careful. The last quartz watch winder I bought (I think it was from WoW, those cocksuckers) started to sound like a busted coffee grinder after six months. And it fucked up one of my G-Shocks!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 21st 2015, 7:38pm

conjurer wrote:

Be careful. The last quartz watch winder I bought (I think it was from WoW, those cocksuckers) started to sound like a busted coffee grinder after six months. And it fucked up one of my G-Shocks!

I just invested in a solar winder.

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 21st 2015, 7:41pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:

That's a nice one, HF! I like the fern. Is that a fucking Asplenium rhizophyllum?

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 21st 2015, 7:50pm

conjurer wrote:
Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:

That's a nice one, HF! I like the fern. Is that a fucking Asplenium rhizophyllum?

Just because you replaced your flush valve now you think you are Norm Abrams and Jim Crockett?

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 21st 2015, 7:57pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:
Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Just because you replaced your flush valve now you think you are Norm Abrams and Jim Crockett?

Jim Crockett? I din't shoot no bears or nothin'.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 21st 2015, 8:00pm

conjurer wrote:
Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:
Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Jim Crockett? I din't shoot no bears or nothin'.

Think PBS for the Victory ;)

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » March 22nd 2015, 12:35am

Welcome tiktok. Really a very nice sleeve, and that Clerc isn't bad either!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » March 22nd 2015, 12:43am

Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Nice. I was looking for a portable solar winder and settled on this picture of a window.

Its just rolls up into my backpack and then I can sit my watches near it. Had it a month or so and it seems to have worked well so far!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Next

Return to Clerc