The Best Scotch Under $100

Wine, Beer, Weed and the hard stuff

The Best Scotch Under $100

Postby koimaster » October 21st 2016, 11:20am

There once was an indecisive man stranded in the middle of Scotland. From where he stood, he could set off in any direction and find good Scotch: straight south to the light, fresh Lowlands; straight north to the fruity Highlands; up to the caramel-y region of Speyside in the northeast; or down to peaty, seaweed-y Islay off the southwest coast. Just before he could set off, though, a man behind him asked him to move his shopping cart. Because he was just standing there, blocking the aisle in the liquor store.

There once was an indecisive man stranded in the middle of a liquor store.

We’ve all been that man. Selecting a Scotch — or just a whisk(e)y in general — is hard. To know your preference is to have the shelf space and wallet to purchase dozens of Scotch whiskies to taste one after another, picking out what you like and don’t like. So to facilitate a confident order, and cut down the time spent drowning in decisions at a liquor store, we asked a few Scotch experts some basic questions about Scotch and then compiled their recommendations for under $100 a bottle: something of quality, but nothing that would break the bank. We’ve included their responses among these, the ten single malts you should cut your teeth on.

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/10/21/best-scotch-under-100/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Best Scotch Under $100

Postby Falstaff » October 21st 2016, 12:05pm

Foo (except for the Lagavulin 16 yr.). Single malt Under $50? Highland Park 12yr.. Best all-rounder in the world. Neither Speyside, Highlands or Islay, but from the island of Orkney - the northernmost scotch distillery in Scotland.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » October 21st 2016, 2:47pm

Under $50, Glenfiddich 12. Hell, it can be had for $40 with tax!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 21st 2016, 5:25pm

I drink nothing but Sir Edward's, so bottom shelf that my bartender, Cassie, has to go to the basement to pour my shot. I'm a man, GODAM it.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » October 21st 2016, 8:28pm

Hands down Abelour A'bunadh , a 120 proof wonder that for about $75, will make anyone swear is the best scotch period, after a single glass..... no into scotch but, I like this baby.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 21st 2016, 11:29pm

biglove wrote:Under $50, Glenfiddich 12. Hell, it can be had for $40 with tax!

Agree with the Glenfiddich 12 recommendation
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » October 22nd 2016, 1:08am

Laphroig 10 y. old sells for less than 50 USD here in Germany. But it is not for everyone... same goes for Ardbeg 10.
I am also fond of Glenmorangie (the standard 10 years). Verdammt.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Return to The Pub