Lagavulin - Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Wine, Beer, Weed and the hard stuff

Lagavulin - Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Postby koimaster » July 23rd 2016, 11:13am

Lagavulin, an Anglicized spelling of the Gaelic ‘lag a’mhuilin’, which translates as ‘hollow by the mill ‘ is a much sought-after single malt, considered by many as the connoisseurs choice when it comes to Islay whisky. It has an unmistakable, powerful, peat-smoke aroma, that’s typical of southern Islay. Whilst being robustly full-bodied, it nevertheless offers a well-balanced richness and a smooth dryness that leaves a slight sweetness on the palate, which together turns it into a truly fascinating dram. The 16 year old expression, described by many as the ‘aristocrat of Islays’, has become the benchmark Islay dram to originate from the Lagavulin distillery.

Situated in a small bay near the south coast of Islay, Lagavulin stands near the ruins of Dunyveg Castle. The distillery is considered by many to be one of the longest established distilleries in Scotland because distilling at the site can be recorded back to 1742.

As one of Scotland’s most notable whiskies, Lagavulin embodies the flavours of the island on which it is produced, with its rich dark fruit and smooth smoky flavours complimented by a complex mixture of Islay peat from the moor and crisp sea saltiness of the island’s seashore.

Lagavulin is produced by Diageo plc. It is marketed under their ‘Classic Malts’ brand.

The Lagavulin distillery is located in the village of the same name, where can be found a stainless steel full lauter mash tun, ten wooden wash-backs made of larch and two pairs of stills: two wash stills and two spirit stills. It has an annual production capacity of around 2.4 million litres of finished whisky.

http://www.escapementmagazine.com/lagav ... hisky.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Lagavulin - Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Postby Falstaff » July 24th 2016, 8:10am

Lagavulin 16 is indeed the gold standard for Islay malts - rich and smoky with amazing depth that lingers on and on. Not an afternoon single - save this 'un for a long slow nightcap.

Just picked up a limited edition Lagavulin 8yr. old, issued by the distillery in honor of their 200th anniversary. Lighter bodied and fruitier (if you will) than the 16, but with full-on Lagavulin flavor and smoke. Lovely stuff - and a bargain at around $65 considering the 16yr. old has hit $89 locally.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » July 24th 2016, 8:21am

I'll have to check it out.

Today I remain with Glenfiddich 12. Mostly because I'm still in a hydrocodon haze which blunts ones palate.

But I grudgingly admit that lengthy weekend dental episodes have redeeming qualities.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » July 24th 2016, 11:09am

I am not a fan of Islay Scotch, the swampy after taste of Laphroaig is aweful. Because of my experience with Laphroaig, I won't even try another Islay Scotch. If Laphroaig was the only alcohol out there, I would live a sober life.
Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie are my favorites.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » July 24th 2016, 12:55pm

svag, Laphroig with it's distinct medical taste can't be compared to any other Islay, so I do really think You would be good to try a Lagavulin. I'd also say, stay away from the other Islay malts, apart from Bowmore, which is almost no Islay.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » July 24th 2016, 1:15pm

Oban is a nice middle ground between island smoke and Highland light.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to The Pub