Dickel's in a pickle!

Wine, Beer, Weed and the hard stuff

Dickel's in a pickle!

Postby Falstaff » July 20th 2016, 9:44am

Oh no, not again! The George Dickel Distillery of Tullahoma Tennessee (Cascade Hollow) has just lost another master distiller to the Popcorn Sutton (late of moonshine fame) outfit. Her exit follows the defection of Dickel's previous master distiller to Sutton's eponymous distillery in East Tennessee.

http://www.knoxnews.com/business/popcor ... 30091.html

I'm a particular fan of Dickel's whiskeys, especially the Barrel-Select (only 10 barrels used per batch - aged 10 to 12 yrs. old) available only at the distillery - and a bargain at about $50. The very apotheosis of Tennessee whiskey, the Barrel Select is pure nectar at the end of the day with a good cigar in front of the fire. Bought a case last time I visited - very different vibe from the crowded Jack Daniels circus down the way - quiet and laid back with the Cascade Springs branch running out front. By the by, nothing wrong with Dickel's No. 12 either. Hope Dickel is able to bring some talent of the same caliber down to the "holler".
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Re: Dickel's in a pickle!

Postby Thunder1 » July 20th 2016, 10:12am

I'll have to give George Dickel BS a try sometime, if available in my area...last couple of years, my go to has been Knob Creek Small Batch...the Single barrel is better, but the Small Batch is better bang for the buck(around $32 for a .750ml offering)...if you've ever had Jim Beam white label, you'd have difficulty believing both efforts left the same distillery...while a little on the sweet side from the 9 years in the charred oak barrels, the tongue is treated to a medley of flavors...hell, I'm guessing I might need to leave work a little early today after all!! 8-)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » July 20th 2016, 5:03pm

While I certainly wish Dickel well I find my palate doesn't operate at that level.

I found Jack Daniels Sinatra to be a disappointment.

I found both Glenfiddich and Glenlivet 18 year old to be worthy of the tariff yet the 21 year old not to be worth the jump (at the risk of resurrecting the old "diminishing returns" thread).

Oddly enough I have found myself pleased with the Suntory whiskeys produced by the group that bought Jim Beam. In fact the vendor in charge of damaging my liver saved some Suntory blended and single for me in the last month and I find myself oddly pleased.

Then again I was not totally appalled by "Strawberry Fields" back in the day.

Much like watches it's a journey of discovery some portions of which are best not undertaken too early in one's development. There was a time in the not too distant past where the difference between a Grand Seiko and a Seiko might not have been obvious though now it is so obvious as to be brutal. Perhaps one day with whiskey but not yet.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » July 20th 2016, 5:45pm

I don't drink, but reading these posts suddenly seems to have my mouth watering...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » July 21st 2016, 7:29am

Hawk wrote:While I certainly wish Dickel well I find my palate doesn't operate at that level.

I found Jack Daniels Sinatra to be a disappointment.

I found both Glenfiddich and Glenlivet 18 year old to be worthy of the tariff yet the 21 year old not to be worth the jump (at the risk of resurrecting the old "diminishing returns" thread).

Oddly enough I have found myself pleased with the Suntory whiskeys produced by the group that bought Jim Beam. In fact the vendor in charge of damaging my liver saved some Suntory blended and single for me in the last month and I find myself oddly pleased.

Then again I was not totally appalled by "Strawberry Fields" back in the day.

Much like watches it's a journey of discovery some portions of which are best not undertaken too early in one's development. There was a time in the not too distant past where the difference between a Grand Seiko and a Seiko might not have been obvious though now it is so obvious as to be brutal. Perhaps one day with whiskey but not yet.

Scotch worth it? Get yourself a bottle of Scapa 16yr. (from the Orkneys) and settle in for the night - whether in Phuket Thailand or Fayette Georgia. Those far north singles are really something special. Suntory? Their Yamazaki single is the tits! The heathen Japanee are clearly brothers to the Gaels - whoda thunk it?
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » July 21st 2016, 7:50am

Falstaff wrote:Scotch worth it? Get yourself a bottle of Scapa 16yr. (from the Orkneys) and settle in for the night - whether in Phuket Thailand or Fayette Georgia. Those far north singles are really something special. Suntory? Their Yamazaki single is the tits! The heathen Japanee are clearly brothers to the Gaels - whoda thunk it?

I approached the Yamazaki with some trepidation as I was a bit concerned it would remind me of your appraisal of Chinese wine - one simply doesn't know what to expect from those Asians.

Very pleasant surprise. They take on the Swiss with good results in watches, the Germans in optics and now they've acquitted themselves well against the Scots in, of all things, Scotch.

It almost makes up for my failure to have acquired a much sought after case of Purple Death from those crazy Kiwis.

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » July 22nd 2016, 12:36pm

Hawk wrote:
Falstaff wrote:Scotch worth it? Get yourself a bottle of Scapa 16yr. (from the Orkneys) and settle in for the night - whether in Phuket Thailand or Fayette Georgia. Those far north singles are really something special. Suntory? Their Yamazaki single is the tits! The heathen Japanee are clearly brothers to the Gaels - whoda thunk it?

I approached the Yamazaki with some trepidation as I was a bit concerned it would remind me of your appraisal of Chinese wine - one simply doesn't know what to expect from those Asians.

Very pleasant surprise. They take on the Swiss with good results in watches, the Germans in optics and now they've acquitted themselves well against the Scots in, of all things, Scotch.

It almost makes up for my failure to have acquired a much sought after case of Purple Death from those crazy Kiwis.

WOW...that's even scarier than sip'n own mah sizyrp and slurpin' down mah PURPLE drank...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » July 22nd 2016, 1:25pm

They had me hooked at the "Marketed under the Saviour Brand..."

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Datsun240Z71 » July 23rd 2016, 3:29am

If you're ever in middle Tennessee, I'd highly recommend the Jack Daniels Distillery tour... it's a hoot, and it's free. While in Lynchburg, make reservations for lunch at Miss Mary Bobo's.
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Return to The Pub