Bordeaux returns to Earth from the Stratosphere

Wine, Beer, Weed and the hard stuff

Bordeaux returns to Earth from the Stratosphere

Postby Falstaff » June 2nd 2015, 7:31pm

Anyone else paying attention to 2014 Bordeaux futures? Due to a favorable dollar to euro ratio and the crash of Chinese demand, the current 2014 vintage Bordeaux futures (to be released 2016 - 17) market seems to have reverted to relatively normal pricing levels. For instance, Chateau Talbot is available @ $39. 98 per 750ml. bottle - Ch. D'Issan @t $42.98 - Ch. Troplong Mondot @ $73.98 - Ch. Beycheville @ $55.98 - Ch. Gruaud Larose @ $53.98 - Ch. Figeac @ $79.98 and Ch. Grand Puy Lacoste @ $49.98 - just to name a few of my favorites. Even the First Growth wines (Chateaus Latour, Haut Brion, Lafitte Rothschild, Margaux and Mouton Rothschild) have backed off considerably from their $1k+ per bottle price. I haven't seen prices this low since the 2002 vintage. Granted 2014 ain't gonna make the record books as a truly stellar vintage, but will certainly be remembered as producing classic, true to type clarets. Needless to say, the Classed Growths, having the finest terroir and the savviest winemakers, always make a good showing. Of course the nice thing about the futures market is that you only put in 1/2 the price up front, with the remainder due upon delivery. Of course it's always a crap shoot - prices could go lower, but at this level I'd say these prices are a steal. Call your wine merchant today.
-
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Re: Bordeaux returns to Earth from the Stratosphere

Postby AJC » June 3rd 2015, 7:56am

I like beer.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Nuvolari » June 3rd 2015, 8:34am

Great Intel Falls, thanks! We burned through our last vintage Lafitte (1977) that we'd had for a couple of decades... And that very last bottle we got to just in time as I'm sure within another year it would have turned. I've always considered it irreplaceable - but that's how you end up with something excellent, you just jump it and time may be your friend. Or not, but no risk no reward.

A few years back we grabbed a bunch of Far Niente when 1994 was a new vintage and it matured into a fabulous wine. Same experience with Duck Horn... Now, we collect nearly nothing and buy fairly whimsically (Trader Joes is an attractive nuisance, damn it). But I think I need to prod Mrs. Nuvolari into getting back on board with a Bordeaux endeavor... I can't imagine near-term conditions providing significantly more value (admittedly, from a guy who honestly thought FNMA stock values would rebound from $5/sh).

Anyway great tip!

Damn you.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » June 3rd 2015, 7:34pm

AJC wrote:I like beer.

I do too.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » June 3rd 2015, 8:06pm

I like Two Buck Chuck!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » June 3rd 2015, 10:35pm

Alcohol is haram.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby ChronoMATT » June 4th 2015, 3:12am

In other news, Sprecher root beer is still slow brewed, made with real honey and $1.49 a bottle.

ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 4th 2015, 4:17am

ChronoMATT wrote:In other news, Sprecher root beer is still slow brewed, made with real honey and $1.49 a bottle.

If you like root beer, give Abita root beer a try. Best I have ever had!

Not a big wine fan; but hope those who are can take advantage of the favorable price drop.

Have been sticking with hard liquor and hard cider on the rare occasion I imbibe these days.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » June 4th 2015, 4:52am

Another trip down the wikihole. I'm too proletariat for fine wine but the decline in Chinese demand made me curious. One wonders how accurate this is?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2015/03/ ... d-dries-up

Exports, particularly to China and Hong Kong, hammered the overseas sales picture, with declines of nine percent in terms of volume and 17 percent in terms of value.

A crackdown on corruption by China's new leadership has hit sales of Western luxury goods – including top wines – as lavish gifts were often used to curry favor with officials.

The volume of Bordeaux wine was slashed by a fifth last year in China, for several reasons.

"The Chinese market, which has had an incredible rise since 2005, had to slow down," said Farges.

He acknowledged that the "anti-corruption policy of the Chinese government" had hit "the most expensive wines" but also pointed to increased competition from New World producers including Australia and Chile.

Several people set themselves up in China as importers of French wine in 2010 but found a slowing market.

"As a consequence the stocks are taking time to run dry," he said.

An anti-corruption campaign is kicking French wine sales in the nads? There's got to be irony in there somewhere.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » June 4th 2015, 6:53am

Hawk wrote:Another trip down the wikihole. I'm too proletariat for fine wine but the decline in Chinese demand made me curious. One wonders how accurate this is?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2015/03/ ... d-dries-up

Exports, particularly to China and Hong Kong, hammered the overseas sales picture, with declines of nine percent in terms of volume and 17 percent in terms of value.

A crackdown on corruption by China's new leadership has hit sales of Western luxury goods – including top wines – as lavish gifts were often used to curry favor with officials.

The volume of Bordeaux wine was slashed by a fifth last year in China, for several reasons.

"The Chinese market, which has had an incredible rise since 2005, had to slow down," said Farges.

He acknowledged that the "anti-corruption policy of the Chinese government" had hit "the most expensive wines" but also pointed to increased competition from New World producers including Australia and Chile.

Several people set themselves up in China as importers of French wine in 2010 but found a slowing market.

"As a consequence the stocks are taking time to run dry," he said.

An anti-corruption campaign is kicking French wine sales in the nads? There's got to be irony in there somewhere.

Wine consumption by the French themselves has dropped over 20% since 2001. But again, Bordeaux pricing for the last 10 years has been driven to unsustainably high levels by Chinese willingness to pay any price to obtain Cru Classe' Bordeaux. Mere possession of a bottle of fine Bordeaux confers substantial status. However, having no tradition of fine wine (Chinese wines are uniformly execrable), a popular drink amongst the moneyed elite in Shanghai is Chateau Margaux and Coke. Counterfeiting is epidemic.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby boscoe » June 4th 2015, 12:04pm

I only drink wine from screw cap bottles.
Corks breed fungus.
And fuck the Chinese
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby timc. » June 4th 2015, 5:32pm

the title of this had me confused for a moment.. I thought some drunk astronaut tossed an empty bottle of wine out of the international space station or some shit.
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » June 4th 2015, 6:25pm

timc. wrote:the title of this had me confused for a moment.. I thought some drunk astronaut tossed an empty bottle of wine out of the international space station or some shit.

You mean like tossing an Invicter from a weather balloon? However, you might be right - with 2 considerations: The drunk astronaut is undoubtedly Rooshian and the empty bottles are Stoli. Given recent the high percentage of Russkie missions to the ISS, there are probably several cases of empties floating around up there.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Return to The Pub