Boston English it's a Wicked fucking pissa.

Wine, Beer, Weed and the hard stuff

Boston English it's a Wicked fucking pissa.

Postby ocean » January 1st 2015, 9:57pm

Every time I go home and come back to Florida everyone says I come back with a accent. Before you say shot read the dictionary.

http://www.bu.edu/mfeldman/Boston/wicked.html
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Re: Boston English it's a Wicked fucking pissa.

Postby Kahuna74 » January 1st 2015, 10:09pm

Good read. We make fun of how Boston people talk until we are in another part of the country. Then people ask me if I am from Mass. Living in the Berkshires, we talk a little different, just a little. Love Boston friendliest people in the world. Moving there in one year so my wife can finish her masters.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » January 1st 2015, 10:20pm

Kahuna74 wrote:Good read. We make fun of how Boston people talk until we are in another part of the country. Then people ask me if I am from Mass. Living in the Berkshires, we talk a little different, just a little. Love Boston friendliest people in the world. Moving there in one year so my wife can finish her masters.

If Imay ask where are you originally from? I live about an hour south of Boston I have a green horn accent :lol: So they say. :?
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby Kahuna74 » January 1st 2015, 10:47pm

abduksion wrote:
Kahuna74 wrote:Good read. We make fun of how Boston people talk until we are in another part of the country. Then people ask me if I am from Mass. Living in the Berkshires, we talk a little different, just a little. Love Boston friendliest people in the world. Moving there in one year so my wife can finish her masters.

If Imay ask where are you originally from? I live about an hour south of Boston I have a green horn accent :lol: So they say. :?

Kev, we have talked about this before. I have spent half my life in the Berkshires. From when I was about 8, till 17. Then back here till I was about 24. This last time, the last ten years. My mother is from here. My father, as well as me, are from a Reservation in Nebraska. I go back from time to time. As well as back to the Islands.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » January 1st 2015, 11:16pm

Being from the Midwest I found the New England accents quite amusing - Especially coming from thug types (made them sound much less meaner than they looked - a la Tyson). Did 4 years in Providence, followed by a long stint in the Berkshires (1992-2001). Warms my heart to hear the accent now and picked up a hint myself (now gone, I think). Perhaps I even crossed paths w/Kahuna74 in Pittsfield or Lenox without knowing it.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby abduksion » January 2nd 2015, 2:04am

Kahuna74 wrote:
abduksion wrote:

Kev, we have talked about this before. I have spent half my life in the Berkshires. From when I was about 8, till 17. Then back here till I was about 24. This last time, the last ten years. My mother is from here. My father, as well as me, are from a Reservation in Nebraska. I go back from time to time. As well as back to the Islands.

Oh yeah that's right sorry man my memory so bad I tend to forget I've always had a bad memory. I'd lose my head if it weren't screwed to my neck.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby four of diamonds » January 2nd 2015, 10:45pm

Lived south of Boston for 10 years (Stoughton 1990-1999). Took the commuter rail to South Station and then a short walk to Federal Street and my office. At the time speech coaches to help folks lose their Boston accent were available. Being a Connecticut native I never picked up a Boston accent, although when I moved to Georgia everyone knew I was a Yankee.
four of diamonds
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » January 2nd 2015, 10:58pm

Grew up in Easton and lived in Becket for over ten years.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » January 2nd 2015, 11:13pm

Funny! :D
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2015, 7:27am

Tzimisces wrote:Grew up in Easton and lived in Becket for over ten years.

You're a country boy.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Tzimisces » January 3rd 2015, 8:06am

You mean I'm from the sticks?

They left out "setta lights", which means an intersection with traffic lights.
"Bang a left at the third setta lights"
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2015, 8:16am

Tzimisces wrote:You mean I'm from the sticks?

Becket is the sticks.

Easton is the country.

Virginia is a whole nutha story.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2015, 8:19am

A regular coffee here is with cream and sugar.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Kahuna74 » January 3rd 2015, 9:04am

jaw wrote:Being from the Midwest I found the New England accents quite amusing - Especially coming from thug types (made them sound much less meaner than they looked - a la Tyson). Did 4 years in Providence, followed by a long stint in the Berkshires (1992-2001). Warms my heart to hear the accent now and picked up a hint myself (now gone, I think). Perhaps I even crossed paths w/Kahuna74 in Pittsfield or Lenox without knowing it.

Wow jaw, could be. I live in the pitt, and worked in Lenox for Boston University at their Tanglewood campus. I miss that Job. I loved working with the kids. Now I work in the Testing Center at Berkshire Community College, nice, just not the same. In 1996, I worked at the Red Lion Inn for a year.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » January 3rd 2015, 9:10am

My wife worked at Cranwell for awhile late 90's to 2004. She was director of sales when we moved to Virginia.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » January 3rd 2015, 7:17pm

Tzimisces wrote:My wife worked at Cranwell for awhile late 90's to 2004. She was director of sales when we moved to Virginia.

Cranwell is beautiful. One of my friends worked there at the front desk.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » January 3rd 2015, 10:22pm

Kahuna74 wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:My wife worked at Cranwell for awhile late 90's to 2004. She was director of sales when we moved to Virginia.

My wife is curious about who your friend was. Obviously we understand if you'd rather not say. She knew people in sales at other area hotels, including the Red Lion. I really miss the Berkshires, especially fall/winter. Absolutely beautiful place to live. My wife hated the winters, and I'm getting accustomed to Virginia, though. 70 degree days in January are nice. Frigging cold makes my arthritis hurt.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » January 3rd 2015, 10:29pm

foghorn wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:You mean I'm from the sticks?

Becket is the sticks.

Easton is the country.

Virginia is a whole nutha story.

Easton was country, now it's suburbs. Becket is the sticks, though. Bears in the yard were common in spring (one killed our dog on Easter Sunday, 1999). We had a large beaver pond across the dirt road we lived on.
People here in Va tend to think Boston when they hear Massachusetts. They don't know that Amelia is the Big City. Amelia has a strip mall with pharmacy and a small grocery store, a McDonalds, and a few gas stations. Becket had none of those things. One (sometimes two) small convenience stores that closed at 7 (9 in summer).
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » January 4th 2015, 1:39am

I'm from Jersey. The accent is as bad as the stereotype, for the most part. When I catch myself saying "cawfee" and "wawter" instead of coffee and water I realize how tacky I must sound to people from elsewhere.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » January 4th 2015, 7:48am

Tzimisces wrote:
Kahuna74 wrote:

My wife is curious about who your friend was. Obviously we understand if you'd rather not say. She knew people in sales at other area hotels, including the Red Lion. I really miss the Berkshires, especially fall/winter. Absolutely beautiful place to live. My wife hated the winters, and I'm getting accustomed to Virginia, though. 70 degree days in January are nice. Frigging cold makes my arthritis hurt.

I don't think your wife would know here she started in 2010, left to go back to the Humane Society in 2011.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » January 4th 2015, 7:51am

Tzimisces wrote:
Kahuna74 wrote:

That's interesting. I love the summer and fall here, but not the winter or spring. Some of the most beautiful fall foliage I have ever seen is here.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Return to The Pub