Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Mortuus » December 7th 2015, 10:55pm

Hawk wrote:Without a doubt one of the more civil discussions I've had on the topic.

Just so, and a pleasure to eavesdrop on, as well. Would that all such discussions maintain such an exceptional altitude. Well done, gentlemen, well done. 8-)
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » December 8th 2015, 7:12am

HAWK: "Nevertheless there is a woeful lack of knowledge on firearms laws . . ."

I live in New York State and our gov has taken it upon himself to make me (and others) safer by ramming through the NYS SAFE Act. Among other things this "act" bans so-called 'high-capacity' magazines. I am still unsure whether a 10 round capacity only loaded to 7 is legal. Apparently if you are on a "range" you can load to 10 rounds --- that makes no sense!!
All assault weapons MUST be registered to the state.

I did register my AR15 and modified my 20 round capacity magazines to only hold 7. Just in case I got in an car accident going to or from the range.

I have a target grade Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel and an expensive Fajen thumbhole stock --- thus under the law it became a "deadly assault rifle." Not wishing to register said gun, I bought another expensive stock without the thumbhole --- viola -- NOT an assault weapon anymore ----- that make any sense?

My son has a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 caliber and he had a pistol grip stock for it --- instant "deadly assault weapon."
He bought a Boyd stock without a pistol grip and viola -- NOT an assault weapon anymore.

Bear in mind both the 10/22 and the Mini 14 did not change caliber or magazines -- only the stock.

Our NYS Gov. was fed a line of crap from Bloomberg and the Brady Bunch, coerced legislators with the threat of cutting their "pork" funds and passed this NYS SAFE Act in the dead of night with NO input from it's citizens.

Most of the dumbasses that protest about the "deadly assault weapons of war" believe that ALL of them are fully automatic weapons that have huge capacity magazines. They also use the term "high powered" when referring to AR15. A .223 is not really a high powered round compared to many other calibers.

People don't wish to educate themselves and only believe the last TV spot they saw of 'little jug ears' telling them they would be safe if they had no weapons of any sort to defend themselves.

They quote outrageous statistics that have no fact to them at all. Lumping defensive shootings along with suicides with gang-bangers and them fudging those numbers.

Somehow these dolts actually believe that when honest, law abiding citizens have their guns confiscated that the thugs, bangers and terrorists will stand in line to throw them on the truck as well.

Rant over --- thank you for your time!!
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » December 8th 2015, 11:48am

There is little doubt the SAFE act is a difficult to navigate dog's dinner but since it's little changed from the '94 AWB, with the obvious addition of the thumbhole stock, it has given birth to some ingenious though unlikely products. New Yorkers are an adaptable bunch.

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » December 8th 2015, 8:05pm

DocKlock wrote:HAWK: "Nevertheless there is a woeful lack of knowledge on firearms laws . . ."

I live in New York State and our gov has taken it upon himself to make me (and others) safer by ramming through the NYS SAFE Act. Among other things this "act" bans so-called 'high-capacity' magazines. I am still unsure whether a 10 round capacity only loaded to 7 is legal. Apparently if you are on a "range" you can load to 10 rounds --- that makes no sense!!
All assault weapons MUST be registered to the state.

I did register my AR15 and modified my 20 round capacity magazines to only hold 7. Just in case I got in an car accident going to or from the range.

I have a target grade Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel and an expensive Fajen thumbhole stock --- thus under the law it became a "deadly assault rifle." Not wishing to register said gun, I bought another expensive stock without the thumbhole --- viola -- NOT an assault weapon anymore ----- that make any sense?

My son has a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 caliber and he had a pistol grip stock for it --- instant "deadly assault weapon."
He bought a Boyd stock without a pistol grip and viola -- NOT an assault weapon anymore.

Bear in mind both the 10/22 and the Mini 14 did not change caliber or magazines -- only the stock.

Our NYS Gov. was fed a line of crap from Bloomberg and the Brady Bunch, coerced legislators with the threat of cutting their "pork" funds and passed this NYS SAFE Act in the dead of night with NO input from it's citizens.

Most of the dumbasses that protest about the "deadly assault weapons of war" believe that ALL of them are fully automatic weapons that have huge capacity magazines. They also use the term "high powered" when referring to AR15. A .223 is not really a high powered round compared to many other calibers.

People don't wish to educate themselves and only believe the last TV spot they saw of 'little jug ears' telling them they would be safe if they had no weapons of any sort to defend themselves.

They quote outrageous statistics that have no fact to them at all. Lumping defensive shootings along with suicides with gang-bangers and them fudging those numbers.

Somehow these dolts actually believe that when honest, law abiding citizens have their guns confiscated that the thugs, bangers and terrorists will stand in line to throw them on the truck as well.

Rant over --- thank you for your time!!

Gun laws often don't make much sense, especially when they vary so much. I have a Mini14 and 10/22 both in stainless steel with synthetic stocks. Sinister looking to an anti-gun wingnut but still legal here in Oregon. No restriction on magazines here since the Brady Bill expired.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Hawk » December 8th 2015, 8:44pm

Mark1 wrote:Gun laws often don't make much sense, especially when they vary so much. I have a Mini14 and 10/22 both in stainless steel with synthetic stocks. Sinister looking to an anti-gun wingnut but still legal here in Oregon. No restriction on magazines here since the Brady Bill expired.

On a strictly minor point of order, the Brady Bill is alive and well. What expired, or rather sunset without renewal, was the AWB portion of the 1994 Omnibus Crime Control Act. Upon its sunset about a half dozen states enacted their own bans with NY expanding on it to some extent while California added a .50 BMG ban.

Those Californians just don't have anything resembling a "Goldilocks Zone" - they ban stuff that's claimed to fire a bunch of little rounds inaccurately because that simply must be evil and follow it up with a ban on stuff that fires one round at a time accurately.

Go figure.

But we are now protected from the scourge of shoulder things that go up and, in some cases, rifles with bayonet lugs presumably to cut down on the numerous drive-by bayonetings we were laboring under. We also have prohibited the manufacture, sale or transfer of ceramic and plastic handguns which do not exist outside a Bruce Willis movie because, I guess, it's better to do something demonstrably stupid rather than nothing.

I truly wish I could dock the pay of the fuckwits that debated that one on our dime.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby DocKlock » December 9th 2015, 6:49am

Hawk wrote:There is little doubt the SAFE act is a difficult to navigate dog's dinner but since it's little changed from the '94 AWB, with the obvious addition of the thumbhole stock, it has given birth to some ingenious though unlikely products. New Yorkers are an adaptable bunch.

I first saw this in Shotgun News a couple of years ago. I contacted the manufacturer and asked him if it was NYS compliant. The SAFE ACT had been passed by then. He said that NYS would not certify this particular stock as "legal" in SAFE Act language.

I only saw it a couple of times more in SN and haven't seen it since till you posted it.

While it may be legal -- it is god-awful ugly and to me destroys the iconic look of the AR.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DocKlock » December 9th 2015, 7:04am

Didn't want to clutter up the AR response.

Various legislators have tried to have gun manufacturers of pistols especially, engrave the firing pin, fire and retain the bullet head to maintain a registry, and to have a gun with an "electronic handshake" only usable to the owner/operator of said gun.

Firing pins are fairly easy to swap out, barrels are easy to come by and what happens when the battery in your electronic gizmo fails or the system itself fails.

ALL of the foolish ideas are only pandering to the dolts that have NO clue how a firearm operates, why it operates and they actually have no desire to learn the truth.

Hillary has a novel approach in that she wants to make gun manufacturers liable for their guns. Sue the maker!!!! Makes as much sense as suing Ford cause one of their cars was driven by a drunken driver and killed/maimed someone.

I heard on TV last evening that in the past 7 years (Obama's reign) that 100 million guns were sold. If true and there are an estimated 300 million out in the hands of Americans ----- that Obama has actually ADDED to the amount of guns held by ONE-THIRD. --- That's a legacy.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » December 9th 2015, 8:17am

Indeed. The "having no desire to learn" continually manifests itself. I suspect of all those bagging on Bernie for voting to allow firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak not one in four knows it's perfectly legal to have firearms in checked baggage on aircraft. Even today in the world of TSA and even internationally.

One assumes the firearm can teleport out of checked baggage on a train but will remain inert on a plane.

The notion of Obama being the best arms salesman on the planet isn't at all far-fetched. Get a load of this stuff:

https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/atf-release ... merce-us-0
The data in the 2015 report shows an estimated increase in firearms manufacturing in the U.S. of more than 100 percent within a four-year period. In 2010, more than 5.4 million firearms were manufactured. That number climbed to more than 10.8 million in 2013. The most recent available firearm manufacturing statistics are through calendar year 2013.

Pistols make up the bulk of the firearms manufactured, with 4.4 million produced in 2013. That is an increase of more than one million pistols produced compared to the previous year. The number of rifles manufactured also increased from 3.1 million in 2012 to 3.9 million in 2013.

Those numbers reflect only those produced. The numbers imported are separate and includes Glock, Springfield, Beretta and a host of others.

The irony is that every time he opens his mouth he makes the task he has set for himself that much harder. Any laws passed can only impact new sales - the country is helpless to do anything that would impact existing stocks. Thus his (or Hillary's) absolute best option to keep the numbers from growing exponentially is to have a nice big steaming cup of STFU. Which, of course, is unlikely.

Truth be known some portion of those "panic buying" are hoping our government tries to do a "buy back" - some of my correspondents in Oz reported doing rather well back in '96. Our protections against ex post facto and uncompensated seizure are at least as strong hence some are looking to turn a tidy profit off the endeavor. But they'll wind up just having unused weapons in the closet - our country has neither the will nor the cash to pull off anything similar.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » December 9th 2015, 11:50am

DocKlock wrote:...

ALL of the foolish ideas are only pandering to the dolts that have NO clue how a firearm operates, why it operates and they actually have no desire to learn the truth.

The coincidence is strong this day or at least is was on Sunday when CBS put their collective foot in their mouth. I'm sorry I missed this one.

http://www.examiner.com/article/cbs-new ... 1449682767

Unfortunately for CBS News, they mistake ATF National Firearms Act (NFA) registration data on rare and heavily regulated firearms such as machine guns, short barreled shotguns, and silencers, for some mythical "national registration database" for all firearms.
Since the vast majority of firearms fall into the non-NFA category the NFRTR can not be used to determine how many firearms are in the U.S. or in any individual state. Any attempt to do so is both inaccurate and misleading as it undercounts the number of privately owned firearms by at least a factor of ten, if not more.

The results show in the article: In breathless copy the very first caption reads, "Florida comes in at number 30, with 10.2 guns for every 1,000 residents. That's a staggering 199,828 registered firearms dispersed among 19,552,860 people." In this one quote the writer manages to both undercount per-capita firearms at only "10.2 per 1,000 residents" and hype the number as a "staggering 199,828 registered firearms."

The question is, how did CBS News make such a rookie mistake? My guess is that the existence of the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record fed into an ignorant reporter's belief in the existence of some over-reaching "National Firearms Registration Database." The distinction between NFA regulated firearms and "regular" firearms was apparently too subtle for the writer to comprehend.

This doesn't explain way the writer's complete lack of common-sense. If the stats that showed that Texans had only "12.8 guns per 1,000 residents" weren't enough of a clue, the fact that the District of Columbia. came in at #2 with "66.4 guns per 1,000 residents" should have raised a red flag. One of the cities with the most strict firearm regulations in America comes in ahead of 29 other states? Really?

That is so fucking stupid it defies belief.

We need to get Boscoe out of retirement to get kick some CBS ass. I've got a granddaughter in 5th grade that would have caught this boneheaded mistake before it went live in a school paper much less CB fucking S.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Previous

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights