Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby spanky1 » December 4th 2015, 11:56am

http://www.newsweek.com/guntv-24-hour-s ... nel-400319

I can see a couple of former TV hucksters working again. Black Belt Jimbo and Special Forces Michael. The stuff dreams are made of.

http://youtu.be/hp7130Bjec4
Last edited by spanky1 on December 4th 2015, 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: August 5th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby mcmohawks » December 4th 2015, 2:06pm

I cant see any major carrier like direct tv or dish network or Comcast would carry that channel.it may be a online streaming channel only
User avatar
mcmohawks
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 59
Joined: September 18th 2015, 5:44pm
Location: oregon

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby spanky1 » December 4th 2015, 5:43pm

mcmohawks wrote:I cant see any major carrier like direct tv or dish network or Comcast would carry that channel.it may be a online streaming channel only


The satellite providers like to make money. Unused downlink bandwidth on a geosynchronous transmission satellite is lost revenue. If late night cable channels can sell sex toys I don't see why selling guns would be a problem. Gun sells are booming and Barry O is the reason for the season. I see a winning opportunity for a savvy entrepreneur.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/gun-sales- ... ly-record/
User avatar
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: August 5th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Thunder1 » December 4th 2015, 6:28pm

Christ..thats' all we need!!!
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby fatman » December 4th 2015, 7:49pm

Surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Gunbroker.com has more traffic than WUS. And that not the only online gun trading.
HF
User avatar
fatman
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: February 7th 2011, 11:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby jason_recliner » December 4th 2015, 7:54pm

What could possibly go wrong?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7295
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Mortuus » December 4th 2015, 8:23pm

fatman wrote:Surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Gunbroker.com has more traffic than WUS. And that not the only online gun trading.

Yep, and one of the strange things I've noticed amongst my own smallish group of friends and family members using these sites is that it's mostly the moonbats (far left-leaning, I'm-better-than-you-because-I-wear-awareness-ribbons, democrat party voters, race baiters, etc, for those of you in Rio Lindo and Perth-Fremantle) among 'em who are buying the lion's share of the firearms these days. (That loud, wailing syreen you're hearing is the "Mort's Anecdotal Evidence Alarm," pointing out that this little tale is merely one of Mort's non-sequiturs, so feel free to insert personal attacks HERE.) I guess its something of an insurance policy of sorts for these normally-timid, can't shoot-for-shit "gentle souls," y'know, in case the eeeeeevil konservatives come for their food, water, wives and daughters; after all, and as everyone knows, konservatives have the lowest IQ and the highest beast-to-mini-brain ratio amongst the many egg-samples of homo sapiens. :x

And the answer will NOT be another set of Fed'rul Gummint Gurn Lores, neither, nosur. We don't enforce the myriad gurn lores that're currently on the books. Either way, it's gonna get a lot more dangerous out there as the moonbats stock up on their gurns and ammo; a lot more dangerous, since they can't shoot for shite... :shock:
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8166
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby biglove » December 4th 2015, 11:36pm

Mortuus wrote:
fatman wrote:Surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Gunbroker.com has more traffic than WUS. And that not the only online gun trading.

Yep, and one of the strange things I've noticed amongst my own smallish group of friends and family members using these sites is that it's mostly the moonbats (far left-leaning, I'm-better-than-you-because-I-wear-awareness-ribbons, democrat party voters, race baiters, etc, for those of you in Rio Lindo and Perth-Fremantle) among 'em who are buying the lion's share of the firearms these days. (That loud, wailing syreen you're hearing is the "Mort's Anecdotal Evidence Alarm," pointing out that this little tale is merely one of Mort's non-sequiturs, so feel free to insert personal attacks HERE.) I guess its something of an insurance policy of sorts for these normally-timid, can't shoot-for-shit "gentle souls," y'know, in case the eeeeeevil konservatives come for their food, water, wives and daughters; after all, and as everyone knows, konservatives have the lowest IQ and the highest beast-to-mini-brain ratio amongst the many egg-samples of homo sapiens. :x

And the answer will NOT be another set of Fed'rul Gummint Gurn Lores, neither, nosur. We don't enforce the myriad gurn lores that're currently on the books. Either way, it's gonna get a lot more dangerous out there as the moonbats stock up on their gurns and ammo; a lot more dangerous, since they can't shoot for shite... :shock:



Bravo, Mort! Nicely said.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 9985
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Mortuus » December 6th 2015, 2:19am

Thanks, 'loaf...'the truth will out.'
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8166
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby fatman » December 6th 2015, 10:06am

I like gun broker but arms list seems more efficient for research. Some scammers though. I baited one, set the hook and then threw the rod In the water. Thought he had a sucker.
HF
User avatar
fatman
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: February 7th 2011, 11:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Mortuus » December 6th 2015, 8:20pm

fatman wrote:I like gun broker but arms list seems more efficient for research. Some scammers though. I baited one, set the hook and then threw the rod In the water. Thought he had a sucker.

It seems like a venue that might be rife with potential rip-offs, what with the 'net still being somewhat frontierish, so to speak. Glad you avoided one of them, fats.
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8166
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Mark1 » December 6th 2015, 8:23pm

I might consider watching. My local gun dealer went out of business a while back. Imagine that, all the mouth breathers in northern Oregon and they couldn't make a go of it. Not so much a lack of sales but the low margin on guns. I can still buy rifles in nearby Washington, and take delivery (after the background check goes through.) But pistols, for whatever reason, need to be mailed to an FFL dealer in Oregon (with a background check) to be transferred to me.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member
 
Posts: 6905
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Mortuus » December 7th 2015, 12:24am

Mark1 wrote:I might consider watching. My local gun dealer went out of business a while back. Imagine that, all the mouth breathers in northern Oregon and they couldn't make a go of it. Not so much a lack of sales but the low margin on guns. I can still buy rifles in nearby Washington, and take delivery (after the background check goes through.) But pistols, for whatever reason, need to be mailed to an FFL dealer in Oregon (with a background check) to be transferred to me.

It's rather sad that the sale of a perfectly legal item, the ownership of which is ostensibly protected by the Constitution of the United States of America, has been made so complicated by bureaucratic bullshit that an honest business ultimately has to shut down. Between the cynical bureaucrats and the idealistic, 100% silly moonbats, self-defense is becoming but a wistful memory in the USA, even in places like Montana, Wyoming and Texas. My pantry is definitely in jeopardy... :?
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8166
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby biglove » December 7th 2015, 5:18am

Odd that in Star Wars, when Skywalker slaughters the dozens of young Jedi with his light saber, no one blamed the light saber.

We seem to understand the darkness of the heart in movies but in reality we need guns as a scapegoat. Guess it is easier to blame guns, cops, failed mental health services...anything to avoid actually blaming the person doing the killing.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 9985
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby itfc1959 » December 7th 2015, 5:57am

I think there is something seriously wrong with your country at the moment.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 192
Joined: February 21st 2012, 11:00pm
Location: East Anglia UK

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Hawk » December 7th 2015, 7:33am

Thunder1 wrote:Christ..thats' all we need!!!


Since you self-identified as a "Texas gun collector" I perhaps mistakingly assumed you would know that anything purchased through an online auction house is shipped to a federally licensed dealer in your state to be picked up in person after ID being presented and the background check coming back clean and any other locally required hoops such as waiting periods are jumped through?

Therefor a TV venue wouldn't circumvent any federal, state or local procedures in place.

I expect any "gun collector" to realize that nothing would change just because a TV venue might be in place. I automatically give a "pass" to anyone outside the country because of the confusion on the matter by the international press but I would hope for better from a local, most especially one who has gone through the actual purchase process.

Personally I would hope that TV sales would actually provide an education for the average prohibitionist tuning in as the procedure would have to be explained thus cluing them in, perhaps for the first time in their life, on the fact that regulations are, in fact, in place.

Still I would expect it to be a commercial flop resembling the typical bottom feeding home shopping network trying to sell a Hi-Point as "worth as much as a Colt but brought to you without all that advertising cost built in and with the Reserve Hi-Point only being tuned by the top 10% of Austrian gun makers". The auction houses with an online presence cater primarily to folks looking for pre-lock, pre-MIM S&Ws, limited edition Model 94s and similar with the clientèle at least as spun up as wrist wartch folks over provenance, box and papers, and all that jazz. In general they will cost more than anything local due to the legal paperwork fees being assessed separately along with freight costs. The charm comes from the product not being available locally.

One of the "sounded like a good idea at the time" exercises was ATF form 3310.4 which had to be filled out for sales of more than one handgun. The idea was that someone buying a half dozen Jimenez semi-autos for distribution in Chicago or Belize would leave a paper trail. However what actually happened was the ATF filling up with a pile of forms from people like me buying matched pairs or consecutive serial number Pythons. That's the market the auction houses cater to.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Falstaff » December 7th 2015, 9:03am

Bud's Guns - one of the most reputable discount online sellers even does "make an offer" sales. Have done business with them many times. My local dealer charges a flat $50 to transfer. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php
"Come and take them!"
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6361
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby spanky1 » December 7th 2015, 9:15am

Hawk wrote:
Thunder1 wrote:Christ..thats' all we need!!!


Since you self-identified as a "Texas gun collector" I perhaps mistakingly assumed you would know that anything purchased through an online auction house is shipped to a federally licensed dealer in your state to be picked up in person after ID being presented and the background check coming back clean and any other locally required hoops such as waiting periods are jumped through?

Therefor a TV venue wouldn't circumvent any federal, state or local procedures in place.

I expect any "gun collector" to realize that nothing would change just because a TV venue might be in place. I automatically give a "pass" to anyone outside the country because of the confusion on the matter by the international press but I would hope for better from a local, most especially one who has gone through the actual purchase process.

Personally I would hope that TV sales would actually provide an education for the average prohibitionist tuning in as the procedure would have to be explained thus cluing them in, perhaps for the first time in their life, on the fact that regulations are, in fact, in place.

Still I would expect it to be a commercial flop resembling the typical bottom feeding home shopping network trying to sell a Hi-Point as "worth as much as a Colt but brought to you without all that advertising cost built in and with the Reserve Hi-Point only being tuned by the top 10% of Austrian gun makers". The auction houses with an online presence cater primarily to folks looking for pre-lock, pre-MIM S&Ws, limited edition Model 94s and similar with the clientèle at least as spun up as wrist wartch folks over provenance, box and papers, and all that jazz. In general they will cost more than anything local due to the legal paperwork fees being assessed separately along with freight costs. The charm comes from the product not being available locally.

One of the "sounded like a good idea at the time" exercises was ATF form 3310.4 which had to be filled out for sales of more than one handgun. The idea was that someone buying a half dozen Jimenez semi-autos for distribution in Chicago or Belize would leave a paper trail. However what actually happened was the ATF filling up with a pile of forms from people like me buying matched pairs or consecutive serial number Pythons. That's the market the auction houses cater to.


Excellent post Hawk
User avatar
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: August 5th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Thunder1 » December 7th 2015, 9:59am

Hawk wrote:
Thunder1 wrote:Christ..thats' all we need!!!


Since you self-identified as a "Texas gun collector" I perhaps mistakingly assumed you would know that anything purchased through an online auction house is shipped to a federally licensed dealer in your state to be picked up in person after ID being presented and the background check coming back clean and any other locally required hoops such as waiting periods are jumped through?

Therefor a TV venue wouldn't circumvent any federal, state or local procedures in place.

I expect any "gun collector" to realize that nothing would change just because a TV venue might be in place. I automatically give a "pass" to anyone outside the country because of the confusion on the matter by the international press but I would hope for better from a local, most especially one who has gone through the actual purchase process.

Personally I would hope that TV sales would actually provide an education for the average prohibitionist tuning in as the procedure would have to be explained thus cluing them in, perhaps for the first time in their life, on the fact that regulations are, in fact, in place.

Still I would expect it to be a commercial flop resembling the typical bottom feeding home shopping network trying to sell a Hi-Point as "worth as much as a Colt but brought to you without all that advertising cost built in and with the Reserve Hi-Point only being tuned by the top 10% of Austrian gun makers". The auction houses with an online presence cater primarily to folks looking for pre-lock, pre-MIM S&Ws, limited edition Model 94s and similar with the clientèle at least as spun up as wrist wartch folks over provenance, box and papers, and all that jazz. In general they will cost more than anything local due to the legal paperwork fees being assessed separately along with freight costs. The charm comes from the product not being available locally.

One of the "sounded like a good idea at the time" exercises was ATF form 3310.4 which had to be filled out for sales of more than one handgun. The idea was that someone buying a half dozen Jimenez semi-autos for distribution in Chicago or Belize would leave a paper trail. However what actually happened was the ATF filling up with a pile of forms from people like me buying matched pairs or consecutive serial number Pythons. That's the market the auction houses cater to.


Good morning Mr. Hawk..

I can understand using the term 'gun collector' sounds like I'm overstating my status...that's probably true and that's my bad....I may own 15 to 20 pieces that are mostly locked away in a large gun safe that I seldom access anymore...compared to the many others I have heard about, I concede that I'm much less a 'collector' than a one time 'accumalator'...when stationed in Bamberg in the early '80s, I purchased a Walther PP Super and a Browning Hi-Power w/ target sites at the local Rod & Gun Club that upon my tours' completion, I had to have shipped back home to a federally licensed dealer(McBrides) in Austin...so, I am aware of that process...

No, my comment "...that's all we need!!!" refers simply to my frustration that this effort my become commercially viable and that it may encourage more Americans to acquire semi- auto rifles/carbines that could be used in future incidents of mass murder domestically...I can appreciate many of us collect firearms that represent past Americana(the 94s, 99s, commemorative .45s,etc) and that their pursuits may mirror the efforts of WISs...I just wish Americans would shift more of their interests away from semi-automatics and towards political and community endeavors...I hope both you and yours enjoy the day... ;)
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Hawk » December 7th 2015, 10:47am

Thunder1 wrote:Good morning Mr. Hawk..

I can understand using the term 'gun collector' sounds like I'm overstating my status...that's probably true and that's my bad....I may own 15 to 20 pieces that are mostly locked away in a large gun safe that I seldom access anymore...compared to the many others I have heard about, I concede that I'm much less a 'collector' than a one time 'accumalator'...when stationed in Bamberg in the early '80s, I purchased a Walther PP Super and a Browning Hi-Power w/ target sites at the local Rod & Gun Club that upon my tours' completion, I had to have shipped back home to a federally licensed dealer(McBrides) in Austin...so, I am aware of that process...

No, my comment "...that's all we need!!!" refers simply to my frustration that this effort my become commercially viable and that it may encourage more Americans to acquire semi- auto rifles/carbines that could be used in future incidents of mass murder domestically...I can appreciate many of us collect firearms that represent past Americana(the 94s, 99s, commemorative .45s,etc) and that their pursuits may mirror the efforts of WISs...I just wish Americans would shift more of their interests away from semi-automatics and towards political and community endeavors...I hope both you and yours enjoy the day... ;)


Ah. Twenty certainly qualifies. Like watches I believe it's more a matter of quality than quantity. But while you know the what's involved in purchasing from, say, Auction Arms it does not mean that the average media consumer does. Hence we differ fundamentally on what such a show would accomplish. I seriously doubt it would function as an enabler for the undecided as much as an eye-opener for those who think it's as easy as the media sometimes portrays.

The semi-automatic horse left the barn quite some long time ago so I also doubt a TV broadcast would do much to spur it on. The AR pattern has accounted for more than 50% of rifle sales for a long time. For those things it does not do well other actions exist. The bolt action will be the hunter's choice but I'm sure you've noticed a general tendency to marginalize that endeavor and the areas where one can unlimber a single shot are getting in short supply.

What few outside the hobby have noticed is that the AR pattern has grown to do a number of things really well. Some versions have permanently put to bed the notion that semi-autos can't be accurate though for such endeavors I preferred a 5 round magazine or a single shot adapter. 3 gun competition is popular and still growing and employs more or less standard AR pattern firearms.

I still think much of the spleen directed at the AR is emotional - it's scary looking. Consider for a moment that another common rifle is the Garand. Just as semi-auto with an 8 round clip (that really is a clip) that's major fast to reload yet nobody gives it a second thought - maybe because of the wood stock? One of the many problems with banning the AR or AK platform is that many of the still legal semi-autos would be more lethal. The Garand or any of its modern brethren at Springfield use a far nastier cartridge.

Think about it - if the prohibitionists managed to magic away all ARs then wished away all semi-autos how much would that reduce body count from a Browning BLR with a vest full of magazines?

Nevertheless there is a woeful lack of knowledge on firearms laws and a TV venue could address that to some extent.

On the firearms forums it was normal, anytime someone brought up how slow everything is compared to semi-autos, someone would post a Jerry Miculek video within a couple minutes. Training (and being sponsored by S&W) can produce surprising results.

So I think I'll do it, just for old times sake.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw[/youtube]

That's your grand dad's revolver there.

People bent on racking up a body count will find a way.

Piling magazine restrictions on top of action restrictions on top "evil feature" restrictions is reminiscent of a city plagued by drunken teenagers driving through a 35 mph speed limit town at 70 miles per hour - and thinking lowering the speed limit to 25 will fix the problem.

For us old guys it just looks really naive.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Thunder1 » December 7th 2015, 1:19pm

Good Afternoon Mr. Hawk...

"Ah. Twenty certainly qualifies. Like watches I believe it's more a matter of quality than quantity. But while you know the what's involved in purchasing from, say, Auction Arms it does not mean that the average media consumer does. Hence we differ fundamentally on what such a show would accomplish. I seriously doubt it would function as an enabler for the undecided as much as an eye-opener for those who think it's as easy as the media sometimes portrays."

As an effort in educating the populace, I contend it w/b a poor effort…for w/b hunters, state run gun safety courses that involve hands on experience are better efforts and in Texas, are affordable for most…as for self-defense, private courses held at gun ranges, again including hands on training, are better education tools…

"The semi-automatic horse left the barn quite some long time ago so I also doubt a TV broadcast would do much to spur it on. The AR pattern has accounted for more than 50% of rifle sales for a long time. For those things it does not do well other actions exist. The bolt action will be the hunter's choice but I'm sure you've noticed a general tendency to marginalize that endeavor and the areas where one can unlimber a single shot are getting in short supply.

What few outside the hobby have noticed is that the AR pattern has grown to do a number of things really well. Some versions have permanently put to bed the notion that semi-autos can't be accurate though for such endeavors I preferred a 5 round magazine or a single shot adapter. 3 gun competition is popular and still growing and employs more or less standard AR pattern firearms."

I can’t question either the ARs’ place in gun sales or its’ accuracy in the hands of the trained...its’ just been my past experience that if you haven’t hit a deer w/ the 1st shot, you’re wasting $ trying to hit one on the run…this experience negates the advantage a large capacity magazine might have…

"I still think much of the spleen directed at the AR is emotional - it's scary looking. Consider for a moment that another common rifle is the Garand. Just as semi-auto with an 8 round clip (that really is a clip) that's major fast to reload yet nobody gives it a second thought - maybe because of the wood stock? One of the many problems with banning the AR or AK platform is that many of the still legal semi-autos would be more lethal. The Garand or any of its modern brethren at Springfield use a far nastier cartridge.

Think about it - if the prohibitionists managed to magic away all ARs then wished away all semi-autos how much would that reduce body count from a Browning BLR with a vest full of magazines?"

You have to know that the Garand is at once both much heavier, bulkier than an AR or AK…coupled with the extra kick from the .06 cartridge, the Garand(or the 7.62 M14) are much less suited for hosing down crowds of people in a closed environment(I would think)…the 3 or 4 round mag capacity of a BLR and its’ Remington counterpart are evidence that they were designed for hunting and not as assault weapons…


I’m not asserting that the answers are easy to digest, but with both theoretical and ‘Right to Bear Arms’ considerations set a side, and if the following 2 statements are generally accepted as true:
1)For self-defense, the average American does not need more than a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded w/ buck shot and,
2) Large capacity magazines are useless in a hunting environment, then
What rational argument is there for the future sales of AR,AK, and SKS styled assault weapons to the general public if one or more innocent American lives might be saved with their banishment from the retail environment?

Hope you and yours have a wonderful afternoon/evening...
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Thunder1 » December 7th 2015, 1:33pm

biglove wrote:Odd that in Star Wars, when Skywalker slaughters the dozens of young Jedi with his light saber, no one blamed the light saber.

We seem to understand the darkness of the heart in movies but in reality we need guns as a scapegoat. Guess it is easier to blame guns, cops, failed mental health services...anything to avoid actually blaming the person doing the killing.


Hi there Biglove...

Hmm, I don't remember light sabers being made available to the general public on the planets Alderan, Coruscant, Hoth, Naboo, or Tatooine...in fact, they were in the sole possession of "a well regulated militia", the Jedi...right?
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Hawk » December 7th 2015, 2:41pm

Well the Sith had no trouble getting light sabers.

The general populace made do with clumsy and random blasters which, so far as I could tell, were semi-automatic.

Han shot first.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Thunder1 » December 7th 2015, 2:57pm

Hawk wrote:Well the Sith had no trouble getting light sabers.

The general populace made do with clumsy and random blasters which, so far as I could tell, were semi-automatic.

Han shot first.


Well, the Sith had once been members of the Jedi Order(a well regulated militia) dedicated to peace through the use of the light side of the Force, as I recall...sort of Jedi gone rogue, as it were(or will be?)....
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Home Shopping Channel For Guns Launching In 2016

Postby Hawk » December 7th 2015, 4:25pm

Thunder1 wrote:Good Afternoon Mr. Hawk...

As an effort in educating the populace, I contend it w/b a poor effort…for w/b hunters, state run gun safety courses that involve hands on experience are better efforts and in Texas, are affordable for most…as for self-defense, private courses held at gun ranges, again including hands on training, are better education tools…

It's educational value would be limited to enlightening some of the populace to the fact that regulations, in fact, exist. To judge by Mother Jones there's a significant number that remain ignorant on this issue. Beyond that I would concur that its educational value would be minimal. However, educating that portion of the population that truly believes Teddy Bears are more regulated than guns is still worthwhile.

I can’t question either the ARs’ place in gun sales or its’ accuracy in the hands of the trained...its’ just been my past experience that if you haven’t hit a deer w/ the 1st shot, you’re wasting $ trying to hit one on the run…this experience negates the advantage a large capacity magazine might have…

Agreed on the deer but this is one of those times where I agree with those that suggest that it's irrelevant. "Needing" something for Bambi isn't what this is about. That might sound "absolutist" but I haven't been convinced restricting standard capacity magazines would result in any meaningful reduction in what you're attempting to address.

You have to know that the Garand is at once both much heavier, bulkier than an AR or AK…coupled with the extra kick from the .06 cartridge, the Garand(or the 7.62 M14) are much less suited for hosing down crowds of people in a closed environment(I would think)…the 3 or 4 round mag capacity of a BLR and its’ Remington counterpart are evidence that they were designed for hunting and not as assault weapons…

However George S. Patton called the Garand "...the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man." And I tend to agree. The amount of additional training required for proficiency with the Garand is inconsequential in my opinion. On a tangential note, does this mean you would exempt the Garand from your preferred legislative schemes?

With respect to the BLR and the Remington 742, well, you should get out of the house more often. If I can find it and know of their existence you can bet anyone wishing to do harm also knows.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K ... 706747.uts

I’m not asserting that the answers are easy to digest, but with both theoretical and ‘Right to Bear Arms’ considerations set a side, and if the following 2 statements are generally accepted as true:
1)For self-defense, the average American does not need more than a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded w/ buck shot and,
2) Large capacity magazines are useless in a hunting environment, then
What rational argument is there for the future sales of AR,AK, and SKS styled assault weapons to the general public if one or more innocent American lives might be saved with their banishment from the retail environment?


I acknowledged previously that a 12 Ga is probably preferable for home defense and standard capacity magazines don't enhance hunting but these are largely irrelevant because "need" or "hunting" has never been on the table in these discussions. We could put them on the table but, at least thus far, I've seen no evidence that lives will be saved with their banishment. It seems intuitively obvious to those who have not delved deeply into the matter but being appealing to one's sensibilities does not make it a fact. The AR-15 is the most common rifle extant in the US hence will be the most common rifle to turn up in unfortunate contexts. Remove it and I'm not sure you've accomplished much. Speed loaders with revolvers, a photo bag full of Garand clips, you name it. The Cali shooters killed 14 and wounded 17. Assuming a Garand was in play the total of 31 might have been reduced but the number of dead might well have increased. Thus immense political capital and money would have been expended to accomplish what, exactly?

It might seem harsh but one needs to look at the ROI of various schemes. For the trillions that would be involved in a "buy back" might that money be better spent on treatment or education or something else?

Hope you and yours have a wonderful afternoon/evening...

Without a doubt one of the more civil discussions I've had on the topic - same to you and yours.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Next

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest