Best knife for under 40 dollars?

Best knife for under 40 dollars?

Postby ocean » August 20th 2015, 1:14pm

Looking for a knife for boys 11-17. Going to be having them engraved. I know a Kershaw might be the best bang for the buck. But then again maybe something else might be better.

Before one of you says Gerber don't, I won't give the knives world incrapta a dime.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Re: Best knife for under 40 dollars?

Postby foghorn » August 20th 2015, 1:30pm

The Buck Squire is a great knife. Case Medium Stockman is also good , plus it has 3 useful blades.
Good move staying away from Gerber (but they do make a couple decent knives) Steer clear of Bear Grylls too.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby kevco » August 20th 2015, 1:46pm

This is what I carry everyday. I can't say enough good things about it. Kershaw 1660 Ken Onion Leek Folding Knife with SpeedSafe.
Made in USA

Kershaw Knives 1660 Technical Specs:
Blade length: 3 inches
Closed length: 4 inches
Blade material: Sandvik 14C28N
Handle material: 410 stainless steel
Weight: 3 oz
MADE IN USA.
UPC Code: 087171166001

Can be purchased from Amazon for $34.99
+ $3.75 shipping

or Ebay (hymelproducts) for $39.99 delivered.

1660_profile_1020x400.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby biglove » August 20th 2015, 2:22pm

^^^Same Kershaw that I own. Fantastic knife for the price!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » August 20th 2015, 5:23pm

Lots of nice knives in that price range. Agree on the leek but also like these:

Kershaw Chive - $35
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VC9RW

Kershaw Cryo - $32 - bigger than the Chive and leek by a bit but still nice for every day carry
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1555TI-SpeedSafe-Folding-Knife/dp/B0074FI28Q

Spyderco Persistence - $38 - Good grip and size
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IWWYS4/?tag=bg999-20
Last edited by Racer-X on August 20th 2015, 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » August 20th 2015, 6:39pm

Buck 112, hands down. An American old-school classic. A tad shorter than the 110, but beefier blade and the front bolster is curved down to make a finger guard. Takes a lickin'....
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » August 20th 2015, 11:16pm

$5 from the local hardware store:

Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby ocean » August 21st 2015, 5:21am

Thanks guys coming down I think to the leek and the Buck which was a great idea. It's a bit more old school which I like, reminds me of some of my older knives. But one just popped up that might work.http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/32

Haven't bought a kabar in years though.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » August 21st 2015, 5:59am

ocean wrote:Thanks guys coming down I think to the leek and the Buck which was a great idea. It's a bit more old school which I like, reminds me of some of my older knives. But one just popped up that might work.http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/32

Ka-bar was bought out by Cutco and production moved to China but I don't know if quality suffered. CRKT manages to sell some darn nice made in China knives.

Spyderco's were made all over creation at one time or another. Mostly Japan and Colorado. I've still got a dozen or so.

You mentioned they were to be engraved - are they still intended as "users" and do they have to be a more or less matched pair?

I've auctioned off most of my Spydercos but I've still got about a quarter ton of Himalayan Imports khukuris if you could work with two enormous non-matching carbon steel khukuris I've got two at the right price, which is to say "free to a good home". If interested I'll post up some pics.

The largest is the Nepalese take on a falcatta.

Picture snapped in commemoration of a poignant Conjurer post.

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » August 21st 2015, 10:43am

I wouldn't let conj's impudent comments faze ya, Hawk. I always carry my Benchmade when i go book shopping.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Ofcmark » August 21st 2015, 4:39pm

I go for the buck I like their old school look and seeing that you're going to have them engraved I'm assuming they're going to be given for a special occasion it will be something they can hold onto. Taken care of they can pass them on to their kids
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » August 21st 2015, 4:47pm

ocean wrote:Thanks guys coming down I think to the leek and the Buck which was a great idea. It's a bit more old school which I like, reminds me of some of my older knives. But one just popped up that might work.http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/32

Keep in mind,especially if these will be users , and by kids, that the leek has a very thin point. It's a great casual knife but might not stand up to the rigors of youthful exuberance. Plus I'm not sold on the speedsafe system in the hands of a kid, no matter how "responsible"
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby fenny » August 21st 2015, 8:00pm

Keep in mind,especially if these will be users , and by kids, that the leek has a very thin point. It's a great casual knife but might not stand up to the rigors of youthful exuberance. Plus I'm not sold on the speedsafe system in the hands of a kid, no matter how "responsible"[/quote]

When I read this yesterday I immediately thought Kershaw, but foggy makes excellent points, no pun intended. The leek tip is thin (my tip is so not) and the Buck would be better for whittling and shit.
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Postby mosc » August 22nd 2015, 3:51pm

If I was still a kid, I would think a single blade knife was kind of boring. I'd rather have a Leatherman product. They make some nice ones for under $40 and they can be engraved at the factory. Think of the kids today who have experience with transformers and such. They even make one product, the Leap, that is specifically designed for young people with an emphasis on safety. A little more money, but more enjoyable and useful for a youth. The Micra is less money and can still be engraved.

If for some reason you want a single blade, I'd go with the Buck. Quality and classic - special.
Watch collecting is a disastrous trap and I'm stuck. At least I always know what time it is.
mosc
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights