Beautiful cutting instruments directly from Japan

Beautiful cutting instruments directly from Japan

Postby Wasp » January 7th 2015, 7:41am

As only the Japanese do. I understand how they see a soul in a well made blade.
I casually collected knives for years but found a new interest in it when I needed to understand a bit of metallurgy for a job I had. The Japanese reverence for blades and blade making is indeed interesting. From old school ceremonial forges to inventing field leading steel alloy technologies that the other leading steel developers, the US, Germany and England have not attempted.
The link below is for a company that ships cutting implements directly from Japan. The Sakura scissors with a jeweled pivot point for friction reduction is stunning. A Cherry Blossom cut out on the handles is very attractive. Expensive, yes. Also wood working tools and a nice big razor for that special bikini shave. Well done pictures of the offerings.

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/Specials.html

Wiki link is a 101 of various blade steels along with basic characteristics of some of the alloy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Beautyful cutting instruments directly from Japan

Postby Tzimisces » January 7th 2015, 9:04am

Several years ago I worked part time in a woodworking store that catered to cabinet makers, hobbyists, and serious woodworkers. Japanese chisels and other tools were very well regarded. Expensive, but considered superb by those who knew the difference.
A few years ago I bought my wife a Japanese knife (she originally trained as a chef and takes knives very seriousy). It is beautiful to look at, wonderfully balanced, and her go-to blade. I think I paid north of $150 for it, but if the quality can be appreciated, it's worth it. Waste of money for the average home cook, I think, just as those fine chisels would be wasted on me.
Regardless, at this level the tool becomes a work of art, an example of how a skilled artisan can breathe a soul into a simple tool.

Thanks for the link.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Beautyful cutting instruments directly from Japan

Postby Kahuna74 » January 7th 2015, 9:23am

Kiridashi is my carry knife. Its hand forged, thick, and I never leave home without it. Good post. They have a few I would not mind purchasing.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 8th 2015, 1:21am

I had two Spyderco knives whose overall quality was lousy. The only thing worse was the CS. Spyderco's customer service makes INVICTA look legit.

I just needed a work knife for opening cartons and blister packaging, so I bought one of their basic folders. The screws that held the clip onto the handle stripped themselves out from R & R'ing the thing from my belt after about a month. I asked their CS to give me a new handle, or just the half that was drilled for the clip, or just bigger screws,even. I didn't care as long as it came back with the clip in place. Their response? Returned it with a little note that said if I was going to use their knives excessively, next time, try a little locktite before using the knife.

Next time? Yeah, right.

So, one day a guy has a nice stainless handled folder with a serrated hawkbill blade that he was looking to get rid of. It was brand spankin' new and exactly what I needed; I traded him some Nikon stickers for it. The knife worked great for about six months until one day I was opening strapped cartons and the blade snapped back past its' locking point. When I tried to close the damn thing, it felt as though the blade was closing over a hump, dislocated so to speak. The tip was about 1/8th of an inch too long to be able close it, and the locking lever stuck out about 1/4th. I sent it in to Spyderco and this one gets returned with a note to the gist of: Why you abuse our product? Abuse no cover. We no fix. Thank you for business". Oh no, thank you, I wrote back, because in the wake of your refusal to stand behind your inferior product twice, I've discovered Benchmade, made right here in the good 'ol USA.

I never considered buying a Japanese knife again until I was looking for a new chefs knife. I popped into my local pots and pans emporium and they had all the usuals- Wusthoff, Global, Henckels, Messermeister, and Shun. I have a couple of Wusthoffs I really like, looked at Henckels and hated 'em, and despite the knife chick's persistence, I shunned Shun. I wanted something that I could use for just about any purpose and the gal gave me a Shun Ken Onion 10 inch chefs knife that felt perfect in my hand. The Damascus pattern on the blade was really nice looking also, too. I decided to give it a try and took the demo into the kitchen where they hold cooking classes and chopped an onion, broke down a chicken, and sliced a little roast beef. The damn thing was awesome.

So, Thanksgiving (2012) my friend Mike showed up with his son because his ex decided to leave town for the holiday, Wednesday afternoon. Now, don't get me wrong, Mikey is a nice enough kid, but very hyper and destructive, always by accident. I went outside to discover little Mikey whacking a 2 x 4 with my damn knife (he was whittlering) which left a right nasty nick right in the center of the blade and one toward the back. When I took it to the store, their knife guy wouldn't touch it- had to go back to the factory, which he said could be pricey, IF, it could even be fixed, which he hoped was the case because the 10 inch model was discontinued. I wrote a brief note explaining what happened and how much I loved it, and asked them to please do whatever they needed to do to fix it. I was assured that I would get a call with an estimate before Shun did any work. Three weeks go by and I get a message that the knife was back and ready to pick up.

I was never given an estimate so I was very bummed as I assumed the knife was not salvageable, however, the manager told me that Shun fixed the knife for free. When I opened the package, there was a letter from the guy who did the work explaining exactly what he'd done, which was to completely re-grind, hone and polish the edge by hand. He told me exactly how much he had to grind off to redo the edge, and how he'd re-shaped it a little bit for "continued best performing". He then completely dissed my sharpening skills and offered me some tips for better honing and maintenance of the weird Japanese blade angle. And, as if all of that wasn't cool enough, when I opened the box with the knife in it to have a look, the repair guy had enclosed a 4 inch paring knife with a note that said for me to practice honing on it so I wouldn't ruin my "custom, one only knife". Incredible knives, even better company.
Last edited by 3Flushes on January 8th 2015, 4:30pm, edited 3 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Beautiful cutting instruments directly from Japan

Postby Wasp » January 8th 2015, 7:42am

^ Excellent information and a nice writing. I have a couple o' onions and will keep this in mind.

Cheers
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby boscoe » January 8th 2015, 1:26pm

Benchmade, benchmade, benchmade.
Possibily a USA-ground SOG.
I will say nothing more.
Do not wish to become a Knife Lord.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 8th 2015, 1:30pm

boscoe wrote:Benchmade, benchmade, benchmade.
Possibily a USA-ground SOG.
I will say nothing more.
Do not wish to become a Knife Lord.

Benchmades are great knives.

SOG-meh.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » January 8th 2015, 3:45pm

So let me venture a question to you guys who carry around anything bigger than a Swiss Army knife:

Where the fuck do you live, on the motherfucking frontier?? You expect to need a goddamn big ass knife to fight a fucking bear or some fucking thing on the way to the goddamn 7-11? WHAT THE FUCK?!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » January 8th 2015, 3:57pm

conjurer wrote:So let me venture a question to you guys who carry around anything bigger than a Swiss Army knife:

Where the fuck do you live, on the motherfucking frontier?? You expect to need a goddamn big ass knife to fight a fucking bear or some fucking thing on the way to the goddamn 7-11? WHAT THE FUCK?!

This rite hear is more small than a Swish aRmy nife!! Did'nt you weren't a cUb scowt as a boy. Or were yew a KOMMUNISTIC HOMO ????

\

GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » January 8th 2015, 4:02pm

I didn't knot reed yore post kerrekly but wont knot delete my pryor post. Hear is a slitely biggerer than a SA nife with a wartCh.

It can kut up a pharrat reel kwik.

GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » January 8th 2015, 4:05pm

foghorn wrote:I didn't knot reed yore post kerrekly but wont knot delete my pryor post. Hear is a slitely biggerer than a SA nife with a wartCh.

It can kut up a pharrat reel kwik.

That's is A nyce 1 froggy! is That a Quarts?

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » January 8th 2015, 4:22pm

After reading Flushes' account of his knife, I asked my wife and discovered that the one I bought her is also a Shun. I probably knew this when I bought it (2010, I think), but I'm not much of a knife guy while she appreciates quality knives as a professional would.
Also, like Flushes, she likes Wusthoff and hates Henckel.

I like my Leatherman Crunch. I've carried it daily for 15 years or so. Most useful tool I've ever owned. (not my pic)

“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 8th 2015, 4:27pm

I myself use a Wusthoff 8 inch chef's knife. It's excellent, and gives me a boner.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » January 8th 2015, 4:30pm

conjurer wrote:I myself use a Wusthoff 8 inch chef's knife. It's excellent, and gives me a boner.

Careful with that boner.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 8th 2015, 4:32pm

Tzimisces wrote:
conjurer wrote:I myself use a Wusthoff 8 inch chef's knife. It's excellent, and gives me a boner.

Careful with that boner.

Especially when I make meat sauce.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Kahuna74 » January 8th 2015, 5:35pm

conjurer wrote:So let me venture a question to you guys who carry around anything bigger than a Swiss Army knife:

My Kiridashi only has a 2 inch blade ;)
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Re:

Postby Racer-X » January 8th 2015, 5:51pm

3Flushes wrote:....When I opened the package, there was a letter from the guy who did the work explaining exactly what he'd done, which was to completely re-grind, hone and polish the edge by hand. He told me exactly how much he had to grind off to redo the edge, and how he'd re-shaped it a little bit for "continued best performing". He then completely dissed my sharpening skills and offered me some tips for better honing and maintenance of the weird Japanese blade angle. And, as if all of that wasn't cool enough, when I opened the box with the knife in it to have a look, the repair guy had enclosed a 4 inch paring knife with a note that said for me to practice honing on it so I wouldn't ruin my "custom, one only knife". Incredible knives, even better company.

Great story, would love to see the letter if you have a pic/scan. This kind of service and pride in one's product is so rare these days.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Re:

Postby 3Flushes » January 8th 2015, 6:06pm

Racer-X wrote:
3Flushes wrote:....When I opened the package, there was a letter from the guy who did the work explaining exactly what he'd done, which was to completely re-grind, hone and polish the edge by hand. He told me exactly how much he had to grind off to redo the edge, and how he'd re-shaped it a little bit for "continued best performing". He then completely dissed my sharpening skills and offered me some tips for better honing and maintenance of the weird Japanese blade angle. And, as if all of that wasn't cool enough, when I opened the box with the knife in it to have a look, the repair guy had enclosed a 4 inch paring knife with a note that said for me to practice honing on it so I wouldn't ruin my "custom, one only knife". Incredible knives, even better company.

Great story, would love to see the letter if you have a pic/scan. This kind of service and pride in one's product is so rare these days.

I think it's in the box, I'll check when I get home and try to get a couple of decent pics, too.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fenny » January 8th 2015, 8:53pm

Thanks for the link and for the wiki on steel types-- cool stuff. I own a few knives, one of them being a Mcusta that I like quite a bit. I want to eventually get some Japanese kitchen knives.
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » January 9th 2015, 7:16am

Hey now! Lets ease up here. We don't want to make this Lordy.
Remember: No Members Only Lords-Battle Zone Lords-Policy Room Lords- Drive In Lords-Guns Knives & Flashlight Lords-Pub Lords- Anything & Everything Else Lords.
Sub forums, at least for me provide diversion within diversion, delightful.
Soon as The MOKI MOP and abalone handle Pliant Arrow arrives from Seki I will post pics. For the life of me no matter how I turn over in my mind the naming conventions of some Japanese products I can’t make the tie in.
Conj has a salient point. Although, I’d like to own a 16th century Katana.

I see what ya'll did here
Cheers
Last edited by Wasp on January 9th 2015, 9:13am, edited 2 times in total.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » January 9th 2015, 8:32am

So I'm sitting here trying to see past a bleeding hangover that I got in some roadhouse dive showing off my TV warches and trying to follow a conversation that some Oregonian was holding forth on his invicter knock-off and cum hear to ma favrit foreum to kill sum time while I sober up.

onlee to see my bros whinging about manly shivs and going awl snob on me.

Prolly drive prisususus. Oar maybe teslers - nothing like a mega buck coal-powered car to make ya feel awl green and shit.

Sew I tooked a piture.

Haters.

large and in charge but leaves a mark on my wrist when I ware it. Made in fuckin' Nepal - near Switzerland. Hand hammered from a rusted out Mercedes truck leaf spring GODAM IT. And works a treat on kitchen cuttin chores though I'm on my third cutting board this week.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights