Knives

Knives

Postby foghorn » December 20th 2014, 10:26am

I've had a knife in my pocket since I was a Cub scout. Us old fucks grew up with them. I still like 'em.

Even a couple vintage

Now bring on the tweezer thread!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Knives

Postby codguy » December 20th 2014, 10:45am

[quote="foghorn"][/quote]

Nice collection Rooster, very nice indeed :Thumbsup:

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » December 20th 2014, 11:13am

Ditto

I have much fun when someone asks if I have a knife and I give them my 1.5 incher.

Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » December 20th 2014, 12:22pm

Have a few , not enough pics...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » December 20th 2014, 12:31pm

Nice collections guys. Love the Case models foghorn. I'd love to pick up a Case slimlock...Mine are mostly newer. Spyderco Delica, Victorinox and a few china Kershaw.

My new incoming is this Kershaw Leek.

Last edited by Racer-X on December 21st 2014, 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » December 20th 2014, 4:08pm

Also have the Kershaw Leek above - great knife by Ken Onion (love his stuff and Kershaw).
Not really a knife guy but always carry a flame and a blade.

Smaller version (and less slippery) - Scallion.

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 20th 2014, 10:19pm

Well, I don't collect knives - but the mini Victorinox Swiss Army Knife is something I've carried in my pocket for more than 20 years; the most useful thing I've ever owned. If I don't use it at least twice a day, it's a slow day.

"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim from ... guess who? Cuckoo 'coo, that's who.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » December 21st 2014, 9:22am

TemerityB wrote:Well, I don't collect knives - but the mini Victorinox Swiss Army Knife is something I've carried in my pocket for more than 20 years; the most useful thing I've ever owned. If I don't use it at least twice a day, it's a slow day.

Same here. Have had one on my key fob for about the same length of time. It's been a lifesaver on more than one occasion. Additionally, containing both a toothpick and roachclip - er,uh, tweezer, it's one of the few indispensable things I own.
"I fear me for Hugin lest he not return, but I watch more for Munin."

Odin Alvater
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby hcharles » December 21st 2014, 3:03pm

According to what I have heard, a tweezers makes a great roach clip. Not that I have any experience, in the said usage. :D :lol:
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby fenny » December 21st 2014, 8:29pm

I carry this Chris Reeve small Sebenza. Beautiful in manufacture and handling. That sounded gay.

cr on black.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » December 22nd 2014, 7:12am

The red SA Rucksack has a great saw. Cuts through a 2x4 <15 sec. Won a few small wagers on that performance.
Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » December 22nd 2014, 12:05pm

fenny wrote:I carry this Chris Reeve small Sebenza. Beautiful in manufacture and handling. That sounded gay.

cr on black.jpg

That's like the Rolex of pocket knives. Nice.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Nuvolari » December 23rd 2014, 12:44am

As Grande Amore has pointed out, I tend to keep things through the years... And I guess knives are a bit more of the same thing.

I thought I only had one or two, but it turns out I have a few more... Though, damn it, I can't find this really small & cool Leatherman that has a shit load of useful tools & folds into the size of a matchbox. As has happened with most of my knives, one or two will go missing (usually the smaller ones) and will show up again a few months later in between cushions on the couch or under the seat of one of the cars. I try not to freak out... But for whatever psychotic reason, instead of being happy with these knives I'm secretly bent that I can't find that small one :cry: :evil:

But, those not lost include: VSA Officier Suisse, Leatherman Juice C2, Elyco (di italia), Spyderco 484, Snap On 5230, Buck 484 (have 2), Buck 501, and some awful POS that to me is the Invicta of knives. Turns out it's not terrible so I beat it up a bit because, like racing a Lemons car, I tend to push a a piece of shit a little harder. (If it breaks, who cares?)

The Elyco was my dad's and has a cool hatch that holds detached razor-sharp scissors that doubles as tweezers. I love it, but it's so thin that it's usually only in my possession about 8 months of the year for the reasons referenced above...

My absolute favorite, though, is the VSA Officier Suisse. I was really saddened to have lost a much loved red VSA at Scout camp on Catalina Island. I had received the small knife in this picture shortly afterwords and carried it nearly all the time, but it paled compared to my lost knife which I called lost, but suspected had been stolen.

Then, one fine day in August 1983, as a 13 year old I found myself in Milano, Italia looking at the most beautiful knife I had ever seen and in a stunning gloss black not yet offered in the United States. I was smitten and since the dollar was strong against the lire back then, I did not hesitate to plunk down the money I had earned washing cars and stacking hubcaps at a car lot back home. The knife has proven to be a fantastically durable go-to tool that I take with me on most if not all road trips.

However, that adventure in 1983 also included a trip to and tour of the Ferrari factory, led by by a very kind gentleman, Piero. I didn't fully appreciate then who he was during the private tour - but learned later at a dinner that evening that he was the [bastard]-son of Enzo, a term that still makes me cringe today despite its technical accuracy. However, the tour was absolutely unreal as it was literally a dream-come-true and a complete first-class experience. I was so busy snapping away pictures of everything that caught me eye that by the time we got to La Pista Fiorano I had used up all the film in my little Kodak 110 camera. :(

The leather worker in the picture-in-the-picture below gestured for me to come over to his workstation, handed me 3 leather medallions in the shape of the Scuderia Ferrari logo and said, "Ah-mair-ee-can...? Si?" The three leather samples were red, white, and blue :)

And every time I reach for the black VSA - which is quite a lot - I immediately flashback to those moments at Ferrari like it was yesterday & I'm grateful for the clarity.

Like moments including my wedding, it's part of my memory's Permanent File...

Who'da thunk knives could be sentimental! :roll:

(For a minute there I betcha thought I wasn't gonna introduce any bullshit about cars... But that ain't how I rooooooooll bitches!!!! :twisted: )
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » December 23rd 2014, 7:53am

Damn, Nuvo! You could present a set of nail clippers and make it look elegant and refined!

My wife, youngest daughter and I carry Gerber EVO knives. Actually we all have at least two of them. (pocket, auto, purse for the ladies) They are lightweight with an aluminum frame and razor sharp from the factory. They hold their edge for years without any care and are inexpensive enough that they are disposable, essentially. As an example, last year at the local fair I had one in my pocket and forgot about it as we were entering. Was prevented from entering the fair with a weapon and rather than hike back to the car to put it away, I simply handed it over to a cop and told him to make good use of it. Its $13 for the serrated edge and $16 for the straight edge...no biggie!

They really are fantastic knives for the money. I stumbled across them several years ago when looking to replace a Kershaw and was a bit stunned at how much the Kershaws had increased in price.

They are great stocking stuffers and gifts at ~ $15, too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q7 ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VW ... UTF8&psc=1
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Nuvolari » January 17th 2015, 6:21pm

I found it!!! (The missing Leatherman "Micra" to which I had referred in the above post).

Have had this one at least 15 years, a great daily go-to with everything useful (scissors, knife, tweezer, bottle/can opener, standard & phillips screw driver, nail file) but small-and-squared edges when closed makes for easy travel.

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby kevco » January 18th 2015, 6:25am

My new incoming is this Kershaw Leek.

Image[/quote]

I just got a new Leek. Best $40.00 a man can spend. Had a Chive but someone else decided I had had it long enough and borrowed it for eternity.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 18th 2015, 10:39am

Nice, Nuvo. Have never been able to carry one of those "Leatherman" type combos as are so heavy. Would be neat if could find one in Titanium at a reasonable price.

Kevco, what do you like about the Leek style? Have never owned one and they look like what we called "pig stickers," or stilettos growing up.

Looking back I know we were wrong as a real pig sticker is long and slender and a stiletto is similar.
Guess to a bunch of 10 year olds any thin knife qualified and it still sticks in my brain. That shape, still to me, looks like it is designed to stab people or animals vs cut boxes, utility?
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » January 18th 2015, 11:43am

I never saw a red micra.
I carry a micra everywhere. It's like a pocket toolbox.
Small but functional. Not unlike.............................
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby mosc » January 19th 2015, 3:23pm

TemerityB wrote:Well, I don't collect knives - but the mini Victorinox Swiss Army Knife is something I've carried in my pocket for more than 20 years; the most useful thing I've ever owned. If I don't use it at least twice a day, it's a slow day.

That's my knife collection in one pic; but mine is blue. I use it a lot. It was a party favor at my uncle's 100th birthday three years ago.
Watch collecting is a disastrous trap and I'm stuck. At least I always know what time it is.
mosc
Senior Member & WIS

Postby kevco » January 19th 2015, 5:18pm

biglove wrote:Nice, Nuvo. Have never been able to carry one of those "Leatherman" type combos as are so heavy. Would be neat if could find one in Titanium at a reasonable price.

Kevco, what do you like about the Leek style? Have never owned one and they look like what we called "pig stickers," or stilettos growing up.

Looking back I know we were wrong as a real pig sticker is long and slender and a stiletto is similar.
Guess to a bunch of 10 year olds any thin knife qualified and it still sticks in my brain. That shape, still to me, looks like it is designed to stab people or animals vs cut boxes, utility?

I guess it's not so much the style but just the overall construction. The one I got is actually the 1660. The one shown above is the 1660ST (serrated).
The Speedsafe opening system is something to behold. It uses a torsion bar to move the blade out of the handle at almost switchblade speed. The blade locking system is so simple..but very effective. You can actually get one for $38.95 total delivered on Amazon. For a knife this well made (usa) at that price is a complete steal. If it ever needs sharpening you can send it back to Kershaw in Tualatin, Oregon and they will do it foc and send it back. They are razor sharp right out of the box.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 19th 2015, 5:40pm

kevco wrote:
biglove wrote:Nice, Nuvo. Have never been able to carry one of those "Leatherman" type combos as are so heavy. Would be neat if could find one in Titanium at a reasonable price.

I guess it's not so much the style but just the overall construction. The one I got is actually the 1660. The one shown above is the 1660ST (serrated).
The Speedsafe opening system is something to behold. It uses a torsion bar to move the blade out of the handle at almost switchblade speed. The blade locking system is so simple..but very effective. You can actually get one for $38.95 total delivered on Amazon. For a knife this well made (usa) at that price is a complete steal. If it ever needs sharpening you can send it back to Kershaw in Tualatin, Oregon and they will do it foc and send it back. They are razor sharp right out of the box.

Oh, I do love the Speedsafe system on mine. I was actually surprised they are legal!

Was not aware they could be sent back for free sharpening.

I actually broke the tip of my Kershaw years ago and my Dad reshape do it on his grinder.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » January 19th 2015, 5:46pm

The leek is a great, compact knife. And it has a locking system to prevent the blade from opening inadvertently when not in use. If you have more than a couple knives the Spyderco "Sharpmaker" is a great investment.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights