Review New (2013) Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380

Review New (2013) Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380

Postby boscoe » January 26th 2013, 5:08pm

Okay, for the rest of the gun nuts here.
Took the tiny Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite to the range today for the first time and was delighted with the results. About 2-2.5 inch groupings @ 5 yards (easy) and a bit less tight at 15 yards - due to my shitty aim, not the pistol. I had no trouble hitting the target even 20 yards out - but I wasn't close to dead center (LOL). So, for me, it's accurate enough.
Wonderful, repeat, wonderful, trigger pull. Smooth, short and (as gun mavens say) crisp single action. Much, much, much better than the hated Ruger LC or LCP - whatever the hell it was - dual action .380 that should be melted and yanked off the market.
Fired 200 rounds with only one problem - the first bullet had to be hand ejected after a failure to fire. Both the range guru and I figure it was a "new gun" oil issue. It performed flawlyless with little recoil.
I carried it the rest of the day in my left front jeans pocket very comfortably (broken finger on right hand - don't ask). No digs, bumps etc. So light (less than an Invicta SubAquaNoma III - and I am NOT kidding) you almost don't know it's there.
So I'm very satisfied. It compared well in smoothness and accuracy (with me on the trigger) to Mrs. B's new .45 Kimber at short range.
I paid $700 for this (full sticker) at Gander Mountain, less trade on the hated Ruger. I think it was money well spent.
Here is a photo with the Colt and my Citizen titanium and a size comparison to Mrs. B's 9 mm Taurus, which she also took to the range today and shot. I did not fire the Taurus.

boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: Review New (2013) Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380

Postby dcfis » January 26th 2013, 5:24pm

Nice review man, that thing is a shooter for sure. 700 hurts but its a good gun. I cant believe you are able to pocket carry it comfortably. I couldnt do it.
dcfis
Senior Member & WIS

Postby fatman » January 26th 2013, 6:30pm

A old guy I used to know always told me....if you can afford it BUY A COLT! They always hold there value and are excellent weapons. Looks like you found a keeper Boscoe. And for 7 bills not bad for a Colt. Congrats.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » January 27th 2013, 9:39am

fatman wrote:A old guy I used to know always told me....if you can afford it BUY A COLT! They always hold there value and are excellent weapons. Looks like you found a keeper Boscoe. And for 7 bills not bad for a Colt. Congrats.

By all accounts the Mustang reissue is everything it should be plus a little.

But Colt's civilian division went through some bad times with the nadir probably being the 3rd generation SAA. Sold with caveats against such ill-advised actions as, say, cocking the thing they managed to compromise 150 years of good will. It was the Colt equivalent of the AMF era Harley - made, poorly, from bowling ball parts. But, as Nightcourt Harry's dad was wont to say: "things are much better now".

...now, if they could just get past licensing the name to Umarex for the pot-metal AR-15 .22RF the ghosts could be laid to rest. We've already forgotten the Colt's Cowboy and the UbertiColt Walker. Only USFA heathens, STI infidels and Turnbull heretics will wave the "cowboy" around like a fetish.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » January 27th 2013, 11:17am

Well said Hawk.
Another miserable Colt 1911 mod (imo) is the series 80 fire pin block garbage.
Sole reason I disembarked the Colt train for those that kept the series 70 set-up.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby fatman » January 27th 2013, 11:21am

^^ nice info guys. Never really gave much of a thought to Colt as they are generally out of my price range. Thanks for the lesson.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » January 28th 2013, 5:58am

boscoe wrote:
So I'm very satisfied. It compared well in smoothness and accuracy (with me on the trigger) to Mrs. B's new .45 Kimber at short range.

Excellent review , Mrs B have a new .45 Kimber? a 1911 Warrior or Desert Warrior? that a serious piece...recomended is the Kimber's optional Rimfire Target Conversion kit, cool stuff!!
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » January 28th 2013, 6:51am

codguy wrote:Well said Hawk.
Another miserable Colt 1911 mod (imo) is the series 80 fire pin block garbage.
Sole reason I disembarked the Colt train for those that kept the series 70 set-up.

I discovered that an excellent way of starting a tut-tut storm on a firearms forum is to report exactly how one removed the Kimber type II parts - something that I found necessary to get an Ultra CDP to run right due to a rough-as-a-cob Swartz plunger that would hang the slide up about 1/8" from battery. The Eclipse II was not so afflicted but Kimber's attitude on the CDP left a taste in my mouth.

Kind of an STI sort of guy now but I understand that prohibits my migrating to California.

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby boscoe » January 28th 2013, 6:53am

She has an Ultra II with rosewood, laser, night sights and ambi safety.
Don't even know all the revolvers and semi-autos she had. Plus an AK and some other nasty stuff.
She loves it!
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » January 28th 2013, 12:34pm

boscoe wrote: I carried it the rest of the day in my left front jeans pocket very comfortably

Nice! Would definitely be my choice for IWB if I didn't live in CA where you still have to be blowing a County Sheriff to get a permit.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby boscoe » January 28th 2013, 1:50pm

3Flushes wrote:
boscoe wrote: I carried it the rest of the day in my left front jeans pocket very comfortably

Nice! Would definitely be my choice for IWB if I didn't live in CA where you still have to be blowing a County Sheriff to get a permit.

So this means Mongo can carry, but you can't!!!!
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » January 28th 2013, 1:59pm

Well, there's that whole felon thing.

No soup for Mongo!

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Horse Feathers » January 28th 2013, 2:02pm

Hawk wrote:Well, there's that whole felon thing.

No soup for Mongo!

Felon, smellon...... look what a couple hundred anal sessions led to

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby boscoe » March 12th 2017, 12:56am

Just discovered this post and thought I'd update.

Have gone through many pistols since this review and many phases HKs (triggers baffling), Colts, Springfields, Kimbers - can't even remember them all. But I still have this little gem, though I don't carry it. It now resides in my car.

As some one mentioned, I don't like the 1911-style locked and loaded - hammer resting on a loaded round - or hammer cocked with safety in my pocket or next to my chest.

My CCW is now a 9 mm Glock (the smallest/can't remember designation), which I also have in a .45 Trouble is these guys are really too big carry (except for inside one of those special shirts) because they print. Would like a 9 mm the since of my little Colt with the Glock trigger and guts. That would be perfect.
For me, Glock has perfect trigger.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby timc. » April 5th 2017, 6:29pm

Alien gear makes a nice tuckable inside the pants holster, hybrid type, leather and kydex. Comfortable and secures the pistol quite well. Available for all the popular handguns, and only about 40.00
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » April 5th 2017, 6:34pm

Two triggers I love, Glock and FN. own both.

Love the N82 IWB holsters, too, and own several.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » April 5th 2017, 6:45pm

boscoe wrote:Just discovered this post and thought I'd update.
Have gone through many pistols since this review and many phases HKs (triggers baffling), Colts, Springfields, Kimbers - can't even remember them all. But I still have this little gem, though I don't carry it. It now resides in my car.

Still after all these years, have my two favs, my .25 ACP Beretta and my Rossi 357 Magnum short barrel , love them both ...somehow, I don't have the need to change
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights