Yuck! Ruger LCP .380 Buyer beware

Yuck! Ruger LCP .380 Buyer beware

Postby boscoe » January 22nd 2013, 6:38pm

Yeah, I'm a pistol packin' lefty - complete with CW permit.
Back in October or September, I bought a Ruger .380 LCP at Gander on a whim. They were offering a $50 rebate, so the pocket pistol - which IS small and light - was under $300.
It stayed in the safe until Sunday, since I won't tote a gun I haven't fired.
Anyway, HATED the trigger. HATED, LOATHED, DETESTED as in the fucking thing was hard to actually fire and you had to squeeze so hard there was a problem of being yanked off target.
Left the range, directly to Gander to "sell it back" and buy a new carry weapon that's unobstrusive.
Much to my shock, the shelves have been picked clean due to Obamania. Not a "pocket pistol or subcompact" in sight. Same at my fave gun dealer.
However, a Gander guy did double check the safe at my request and, surprise, discovered TWO Colt. 380 Mustang Pocketlites, the new re-issue, not the old standard.
I bought one. Feels good and just as small and handy as the Ruger, but won't know the final score until Monday (or the weekend) trip to range. Much finer piece of work, too.
But the bottomline - and the reason for the post - is to give folks here a no-shitter on the Ruger, which really sucks no matter what you might read. The Double Action "long trigger pull" on this pistol is a horror. You can get relatively tight groupings, though....if you take a target stance and slow fire (if the weapon will let you). This is NOT what you want in a self-protection gun.
Rant and warning over.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: Yuck! Ruger LCP .380 Buyer beware

Postby 3Flushes » January 22nd 2013, 8:38pm

I fired a friends and hated it, but what the hell do I know. I keep my uncles' off-duty 10-7 2".38 snub nose Smithy that I inherited under my pillow.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Luftwafflles » January 22nd 2013, 9:09pm

Too bad. Ruger has always been my favorite brand. But I only have experience with their long guns. I recently acquired the long discontinued .45 magnum carbine. It was built for bringing down bears at close range. Talk about self protection.
I woke up this morning to discover a photo of myself sleeping. I live alone.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby fatman » January 23rd 2013, 1:41am

The colt is a better find.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » January 23rd 2013, 2:03am

Good job finding the Colt! I love the 1911 platform.

Though no one asked;
I prefer .45acp and conceal carry them in a Springfield Armory Champion LW

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby wire-paladin » January 23rd 2013, 2:21am

Codguy,you are correct. The 45acp is a manstopper.Thats all that matters!
wire-paladin
Senior Member & WIS

Postby boscoe » January 23rd 2013, 6:03am

Not to turn this into a gun forum, but in professional situations a hip gun is, well, disconcerting to many.

A little mouse is more comfortable and stealthy. I'm confidant a .380 round in the chest can make someone go away.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » January 23rd 2013, 6:11am

Ruger is the only pistol I have ever owned, the P89 9mm. I'm sorry to hear this .380 didn't cut it.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » January 23rd 2013, 7:10am

Ruger does so many things right that when they do make a clunker, it is very disconcerting. Felt the same way for the same reason years ago about HK's VP70z - woof! - couldn't even get 'em on the paper. Top-heavy and DA only with the absolute worst trigger pull ever - long, erratic, then suddenly abrupt. Volkspistole, my ass. Had the Russkies indeed come pouring through the Fulda gap one sunny Sonntag, those West Germans equipped with the VP70z might just as well throw them at the advancing Soviets for all the good they'd do.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby timc. » January 24th 2013, 6:50am

I have an LC-9 and the long trigger pull does take sometime to get used to. At first I did'nt like it very much either but after 150 rounds it's much smoother. Much more comfortable to carry than my previous carry gun. Lighter thinner etc.
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » January 24th 2013, 7:33am

I'm wondering if the LCP is appreciably worse than the Kel-Tec .32 or P3AT?

I've got the generic Kel-Tec and it's hard to imagine anything with a worse trigger but I've never had a Kel-Tec and LCP side by side.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Irag8er » January 24th 2013, 7:55am

Hawk wrote:I'm wondering if the LCP is appreciably worse than the Kel-Tec .32 or P3AT?

I've got the generic Kel-Tec and it's hard to imagine anything with a worse trigger but I've never had a Kel-Tec and LCP side by side.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THAT
Irag8er
Senior Member & WIS

Postby boscoe » January 24th 2013, 8:13am

Mrs. Boscoe - who is the real gun nut in the family - has a Kel-Tec, which I shot at the range last week before and after the Ruger for comparison purposes.

Not in love with that gun, either. Bad trigger. Better than the Ruger - ish. Still sucks.

Hence, the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite, which I'll gladly "review" after I shoot it. But don't expect lots of tech talk, ammo comparos and an essay on field stripping.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby bigedsurf » January 24th 2013, 8:39am

Try the Walther PPK-S in .380 Dan............
time flies.........
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired

Postby boscoe » January 24th 2013, 9:40am

I held one at a gun store earlier this week. Nice, but the Walter is too big to really fit in your pocket like the other "mice"
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby DoctorIvey » January 24th 2013, 10:51am

Sig P230.
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 24th 2013, 11:26am

DoctorIvey wrote:Sig P230.

My Seal nephew's sidearm is a sig, great auto. Guess I'm old school, like the revolvers.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby rallycat » January 24th 2013, 11:48am

Try out a BDA .380. Accurate, nice balanced feel IMHO, and not so huge you can't conceal it somewhere.

For a manstopper I prefer a P38. Should you empty the magazine and someone is still moving you can club them into a pulp with the thing.

Agreed with Boscoe. A .380 in the chest should be plenty enough to dissuade someone from further aggression. If you're feeling less than confident then load up with hollow points.

I won't take out a permit because with children and living in a big city I just don't think it's wise to have a firearm where the my little Vikings can lay hands on it - so anything I have stays locked away. I also don't want there to be a paper trail of any weapon with my name on it should the day come when the banditos yanquis decide to use the 2nd amendment to light their American Spirit cigs.
rallycat
Senior Member & WIS

Postby rallycat » January 24th 2013, 11:51am

BTW - anyone happen to have a Reck .25? I need parts and usually gunsmiths just give me quizzical looks when I tell them the maker.
rallycat
Senior Member & WIS

Postby boscoe » January 24th 2013, 11:52am

I have a box buried in the yard...
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby rallycat » January 24th 2013, 12:00pm

Just don't keep the gold and silver in the same box. Hate to lose all your rainy day supplies in one shot.
rallycat
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » January 24th 2013, 2:08pm

rallycat wrote:BTW - anyone happen to have a Reck .25? I need parts and usually gunsmiths just give me quizzical looks when I tell them the maker.

I don't have one but this might help:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=reck&cat=P8+RECK

It's more commonly known as a P8 and just oddball enough that they're probably hearing "wreck 25" when you ask about it.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » January 24th 2013, 2:23pm

boscoe wrote:Mrs. Boscoe - who is the real gun nut in the family - has a Kel-Tec, which I shot at the range last week before and after the Ruger for comparison purposes.

Not in love with that gun, either. Bad trigger. Better than the Ruger - ish. Still sucks.

Hence, the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite, which I'll gladly "review" after I shoot it. But don't expect lots of tech talk, ammo comparos and an essay on field stripping.

There's plenty of "traditional" reviews.

What I'd be interested in is -

How's the single action trigger?

The thumb safety - it's not ambidextrous and you said you were never mind - you meant politically, right? Hope you're right handed.

I'm gathering it's for pocket carry. It's 1911-ish hence one would assume "condition 1" round chambered, safety on. Comfy with that or do you intend to use a "pocket holster" or carry "condition 2"? Or both or neither? Personally I'd get a little sphinctered up condition 1 in a pocket without a proper holster but then again you have more motorcycle heuvos than I have. Risk tolerance and all that.

Mr. Quinn's take on it if you're interested:
http://www.gunblast.com/Colt-MustangPocketLite.htm

The common thread with my carry arms is a Milt Sparks VM-2. Very discreet. And I hate shitty triggers.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby rallycat » January 24th 2013, 2:31pm

Hawk wrote:
rallycat wrote:BTW - anyone happen to have a Reck .25? I need parts and usually gunsmiths just give me quizzical looks when I tell them the maker.

I don't have one but this might help:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=reck&cat=P8+RECK

It's more commonly known as a P8 and just oddball enough that they're probably hearing "wreck 25" when you ask about it.

Awesome, Hawk. Thank you. I'm going to contact them this week.

I notice they've sold out of slides which makes me think too many of us who bought this gun experienced the same issue. The end of my slide literally blew off while shooting. Don't believe the Shamwow guy. Germans can make crap like anyone else.
rallycat
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » January 24th 2013, 2:42pm

rallycat wrote:
Awesome, Hawk. Thank you. I'm going to contact them this week.

I notice they've sold out of slides which makes me think too many of us who bought this gun experienced the same issue. The end of my slide literally blew off while shooting. Don't believe the Shamwow guy. Germans can make crap like anyone else.

The Germans have made a cottage industry out of the creative use of zinc castings in firearms parts - I'm not 100% sure the P8 is one but it wouldn't surprise me. Word on the forums is that it is, indeed, a pot metal slide.

The RG revolver was a wonderful but grim example of this.

The best thing ever said about the RG (and Reck) engineers is that they pissed into the same sewer as the H und K engineers. In my view emulating H&K isn't that high of a goal. I did admire the Korth revolver though.

And I have the guilty pleasure of sometimes toting a P7PSP.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Guns, knives & flashlights