World of Watches Questions and Answers

Exposing watch company deceptions or lies go here

Postby WatchWiley » December 15th 2015, 5:04pm

I've spoken to the senior vice President of Swiss watch international as well as the senior designer for our Swiss legend watches, they are both getting me the names and addresses of the facilities that assemble our watches. Our senior designer just came back from the factories. We even have a video showing how the watches are made in Switzerland. I am delighted to make all of this available to you. They are getting me the addresses so it's not just me naming off a suppose it building. I will put post that to hear as soon as it sent to me. It is appalling that some watch companies want to fake what a Swiss watch is. According to the Swiss watch Federation, I watch must be 60% in its content, Swiss. It also has to have a Swiss movement. It must have that movement placed in the case in Switzerland. And the final inspection of the watch must take place in Switzerland. When all of this criteria The watch can be labeled as Swiss made at the 6 o'clock position. I promise I will post the relevant information as soon as I receive the email.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Re: New members - Introduce yourselves

Postby AlbertaTime » December 15th 2015, 5:07pm

WatchWiley wrote:I've spoken to the senior vice President of Swiss watch international as well as the senior designer for our Swiss legend watches, they are both getting me the names and addresses of the facilities that assemble our watches. Our senior designer just came back from the factories. We even have a video showing how the watches are made in Switzerland. I am delighted to make all of this available to you. They are getting me the addresses so it's not just me naming off a suppose it building. I will put post that to hear as soon as it sent to me. It is appalling that some watch companies want to fake what a Swiss watch is. According to the Swiss watch Federation, I watch must be 60% in its content, Swiss. It also has to have a Swiss movement. It must have that movement placed in the case in Switzerland. And the final inspection of the watch must take place in Switzerland. When all of this criteria The watch can be labeled as Swiss made at the 6 o'clock position. I promise I will post the relevant information as soon as I receive the email.

Welcome to you. Look forward to the info you can bring.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 15th 2015, 6:51pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
WatchWiley wrote:I've spoken to the senior vice President of Swiss watch international as well as the senior designer for our Swiss legend watches, they are both getting me the names and addresses of the facilities that assemble our watches. Our senior designer just came back from the factories. We even have a video showing how the watches are made in Switzerland. I am delighted to make all of this available to you. They are getting me the addresses so it's not just me naming off a suppose it building. I will put post that to hear as soon as it sent to me. It is appalling that some watch companies want to fake what a Swiss watch is. According to the Swiss watch Federation, I watch must be 60% in its content, Swiss. It also has to have a Swiss movement. It must have that movement placed in the case in Switzerland. And the final inspection of the watch must take place in Switzerland. When all of this criteria The watch can be labeled as Swiss made at the 6 o'clock position. I promise I will post the relevant information as soon as I receive the email.

Welcome to you. Look forward to the info you can bring.

Me, too. It will be interesting to see what we can learn.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » December 15th 2015, 7:48pm

Ah, the acid test....
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby WatchWiley » December 15th 2015, 8:57pm

To answer the question of Swiss Legend's Swiss origins:
1. Upon entering the United States through customs, the watches must have a certificate stating their country of origin. Answer: Switzerland.
2. Our factory is in Lugano Switzerland. The movements are a variety of Swiss suppliers. Most are ISA movements. Legally, 60% of the watches value must be Swiss, the movement must be Swiss, the movement must be assembled in the case in Switzerland and the final inspection must be in Switzerland. By passing these criteria, we may use the monicker at the 6 o'clock position SWISS MADE. thus the country of origin can read Switzerland at customs.
3. I am not at liberty to say on this post which watch brand, but our factory is also shared with a premier high end company who uses it for a few of its watches as well.
4. Unlike the questionable watch brand that switched out movements, we are a company who partners with the largest watch companies in the world. If we have a scandal with a fake Swiss Legend, we would jeopardize millions of dollars. We are the #1 seller of Swiss watches in North America and # 4 in the world. To "fake" a Swiss watch among the company we keep would mean death.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 15th 2015, 9:14pm

WatchWiley wrote:To answer the question of Swiss Legend's Swiss origins:
1. Upon entering the United States through customs, the watches must have a certificate stating their country of origin. Answer: Switzerland.
2. Our factory is in Lugano Switzerland. The movements are a variety of Swiss suppliers. Most are ISA movements. Legally, 60% of the watches value must be Swiss, the movement must be Swiss, the movement must be assembled in the case in Switzerland and the final inspection must be in Switzerland. By passing these criteria, we may use the monicker at the 6 o'clock position SWISS MADE. thus the country of origin can read Switzerland at customs.
3. I am not at liberty to say on this post which watch brand, but our factory is also shared with a premier high end company who uses it for a few of its watches as well.
4. Unlike the questionable watch brand that switched out movements, we are a company who partners with the largest watch companies in the world. If we have a scandal with a fake Swiss Legend, we would jeopardize millions of dollars. We are the #1 seller of Swiss watches in North America and # 4 in the world. To "fake" a Swiss watch among the company we keep would mean death.

So, basically, you're telling us that the Swiss-made Swiss Legend products are, in essence, made by another Swiss watch company.

Another point: I'm getting the feeling, seeing the latest product lines, that the Elini company, which is now operated by SWI, is having a big influence on all the brands under the SWI banner (SL, Elini, Lucien Piccard etc). Would you say that's an accurate summation, and, if it's not, well..what's going on there? A few of the members here have some of the old SWI automatics from about eight years ago, and if you've never seen them, they were stellar watches - and a lot of us here miss that standard of quality.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » December 15th 2015, 9:22pm

Did you know that a fringe watchmaker named Clerc totally ripped off your brilliant design for the Scubador? Are you guys going to court over intellectual property theft? You really should.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » December 15th 2015, 10:10pm

TMMLH :lol:

tiktok wrote:Did you know that a fringe watchmaker named Clerc totally ripped off your brilliant design for the Scubador? Are you guys going to court over intellectual property theft? You really should.

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby WatchWiley » December 15th 2015, 10:34pm

Lol. I love you guys. Of course we borrowed from the great brands. We love CLERC. We sell CLERC. But just like FORD borrowed from Aston Martin for inspiration, so we borrow from the greats for "the look" on some watches. CLERC doesn't sue us because we sell a butt-load of their watches. We are trying to make the luxury-look affordable.
And earlier I wasn't saying some other company was building our Swiss watches. I'm saying that like other watch companies (even some high end brands) we use contracted watch-makers to build our best pieces in Switzerland.
And for the record, senior Vice President Nisso Barokas is our chief designer of our 8 or 9 brands we own. So surely you will see his DNA across the line of watches. We want each line to be destict, but he and his team are responsible for what you see.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » December 15th 2015, 10:42pm

And that other rip off VC messing with your amazing Frontier line.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » December 15th 2015, 10:44pm

What kind of Swiss auto movement is inside your Swiss autos, it's not the Claro Seamag still....?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchWiley » December 15th 2015, 10:47pm

tiktok wrote:What kind of Swiss auto movement is inside your Swiss autos, it's not the Claro Seamag still....?

If you can be specific with the watch, I can find the exact movement. We use a variety.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchWiley » December 15th 2015, 11:24pm

tiktok wrote:I have a hard time looking at your website, maybe you can pick out a few examples.

The Swiss Legend Abyssos automatic is a Swiss Made watch that uses the STP ( Swiss Technology Production) STP 1-11 automatic movement. It's a 26 jewel movement.

The Lucien Piccard Morgana uses the Miyota 8n24 mechanical movement.

The Elini Barokas Genesis Prime automatic uses the PTS 2650 Chinese movement.

To name a few.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » December 15th 2015, 11:41pm

WatchWiley wrote:4. There were some of our own brands that were older stock that I did not feel comfortable selling as I thought they were crap. We bring out about 100 watches for the show each time. We only air what we want or get to. There is a beautiful Graham watch that Megan has just said, great watch, tired of showing it. So back to the vault it goes. We sometimes will have a retail price that I feel is a joke. I say so on tv. I will assess and give what I feel the real value of the watch is. I also have the ability to give a watch one minute of air time or 5-10 minutes. I had an older model Swiss Legend fall apart while I was showing it. I all but threw it. That watch will never air again. The new Swiss Made Swiss Legends are great.
5. We are on Direct TV channel 227 or on our website live streaming 6-9est sat n sun.
8. I do what I do because I want to. I was semi retired and living the good life in Daytona. I drive 4 hours each week one way to do the shows. Frankly, they can't afford me. But they have promised me that the quality of the show and website content is going to go dramatically up. They Want World of Watches to be the watch lovers go-to place, with a knowledge database, features, interviews, more established brands, more info for the true collector. If they don't follow through with that, I won't be there. I work with Disney, the Discovery Channel, PBS...I have a pretty high standard. I just finished a project with Toyota. I won't do anything to jeopardize my credibility. Or maybe I just did! Lol

Who am I supposed to believe? You or an industry insider?

I also have a screen shot of him bragging about how he taught Megan everything she knows.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby WatchWiley » December 16th 2015, 12:09am

I've never met Jim. I use to watch him on tv in days gone by. I can't speak of his experiences at SWI, as I was not there. But my meetings with David Block, David Zlochower, Nisso Barokas and newly arrived Doron Basha (look him up online) have been tremendous. We have hired several new tv professionals (not something you do if you are closing up shop) and our tv sales have been through the roof, thus the new set, greater expenditure on the show, new equipment and negotiations with new carriers. Only a handful of people have left the WOWtv team, but it was for other job opportunities. I love having a new fresh excited crew. SWI sales are exceptional. To answer your question on who to believe, well, the past is...history. The present (and to some extent the future) I can speak authoritatively... It looks wonderful. Frankly, SWI couldn't and wouldn't have moved to new and better offices, and warehouse space if they were in the crapper. But as with all things, the proof is in the pudding. Time will tell.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchWiley » December 16th 2015, 12:23am

What watches would you like to see our buyers acquire for SWI to sell, if we could get them at a discounted price?
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » December 16th 2015, 12:27am

Citizen and Orient, if y'all don't already have 'em...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby WatchWiley » December 16th 2015, 12:29am

Mortuus wrote:Citizen and Orient, if y'all don't already have 'em...

I know we have Citizen watches. I have not seen Orient in our vaults. But I will inquire!
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » December 16th 2015, 12:37am

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » December 16th 2015, 12:43am

WatchWiley wrote:What watches would you like to see our buyers acquire for SWI to sell, if we could get them at a discounted price?

Bremont
Marathon
Seagull
Zeno
Stowa
Tudor
Alpina
Frederique constant
Junghans

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby WatchWiley » December 16th 2015, 12:46am

Well it looks like we are in good company.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchWiley » December 16th 2015, 12:48am

koimaster wrote:
WatchWiley wrote:What watches would you like to see our buyers acquire for SWI to sell, if we could get them at a discounted price?

Bremont
Marathon
Seagull
Zeno
Stowa
Tudor
Alpina
Frederique constant
Junghans

We occasionally have Zeno. We do have Frederique Constant and Alpina (if it did not sell out today). The others are excellent choices I will pass on to the buyers on Friday.
WatchWiley
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » December 16th 2015, 2:20am

How do you make peace with being a snake oil salesman and a minister?
Last edited by tiktok on December 16th 2015, 3:35am, edited 1 time in total.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » December 16th 2015, 7:09am

I'd like to see reality msrp on watches, not ridiculously inflated ones.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » December 16th 2015, 8:40am

foghorn wrote:
WatchWiley wrote:I'm going to give a shoutout to Watchlords on Sunday nights show. 12-20-15
Just so you know it's me.

JMHO-but I think we're good. As far as I'm concerned you are you, FWIW, and no need to mention this fine forum on a "watch show"
WIS in the know, know.

This is intriguing. Initially, as I'm sure you did, Frogharm, I thought that a "shout-out" from a WoW host would be as welcome as a French kiss from a $2 hooker during the family Christmas dinner. Then I imagined the amusement to be derived from the outraged WIT rants of JS and the drunken spewings from others upon viewing (and you know they do) said shout-out. A televidium watch presenter who willingly embraces the hater Lords? That same forum responsible for exposing their lies and making their lives an ongoing duck and cover drill? Wheee - that's entertainment!

Wile E. is, of course, free to do as he wishes.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Next

Return to Controversies in the watch world