SNBC says the T-Rex Diver is made in China...

Exposing watch company deceptions or lies go here

Postby koimaster » March 27th 2010, 9:13pm

timely1
Super Geek Join Date: Jun 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know this topic has been addressed before, and I HAVE read the sticky on this topic.

However - I was reading reviews of the T-Rex Diver on the Shop's website. http://www.shopnbc.com/Renato_Men_s_...aspx?storeid=1

One of the reviewers speculates that the watch, despite having a Swiss movement, was made in China. The SNBC team responds:

"Response from ShopNBC:By TeamShopNBC, July 9, 2009
The ShopNBC Team would like to thank you for your valuable feedback! We have confirmed the movement is indeed Swiss, but the watch itself was assembled in China."

Hmmmm...... Doesn't match up with what's in the sticky on this topic.

I will say that I have many Renatos, and if they are made in China - I don't necessarily care so much. BUT - I do care that the company is upfront about this information. So what is the correct answer on this topic?

Today, 12:32 PM
My Watch
Senior Geek Join Date: Jan 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That I don,t know but it will be nice to find out the USA does,nt make anything anymore

My Watch
View Public Profile
Send a private message to My Watch
Send email to My Watch
Find all posts by My Watch
Add My Watch to Your Contacts

#3 Today, 12:38 PM
RLFierro
Master WatchGeek Join Date: Feb 2009

Gentlemen.............START YOUR ENGINES!!!!!!

FWIW i don't care either way, my Renatos are great. My Megalodon's were assembled in Taiwan, another top-notch piece from the east.

FCCS(SW) USN(ret)

RLFierro
View Public Profile
Send a private message to RLFierro
Send email to RLFierro
Find all posts by RLFierro
Add RLFierro to Your Contacts

#4 Today, 12:38 PM
ras
Super Geek Join Date: May 2009

Most companies try not to say their product is made in China unless they have to. Their is nothing wrong with being made in China as long as their using the best of the best like George Fox was so up front with. I would buy anything from him with no worries at all.

ras
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ras
Find all posts by ras
Add ras to Your Contacts

#5 Today, 12:42 PM
50mm&up
True WatchGeek Join Date: Jun 2009

Almost everything we have or use daily is made in an asian country, not a deal breaker for me or a big deal either.

50mm&up
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 50mm&up
Send email to 50mm&up
Find all posts by 50mm&up
Add 50mm&up to Your Contacts

#6 Today, 12:42 PM
reliefcp

At least they are honest about it.We all know they werent built in Switzerland.

reliefcp
View Public Profile
Send a private message to reliefcp
Find all posts by reliefcp
Add reliefcp to Your Contacts

#7 Today, 12:53 PM
timely1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliefcp
At least they are honest about it.We all know they werent built in Switzerland.

What??? Honesty is the point. Maybe you didn't read the sticky. Daniel Mink said that Renatos are assembled in Switzerland. The SNBC team responded that the T-Rex diver was assembled in China.

Like I said....ALL I ask is for the company to be honest and upfront about this. Is that too much to ask???

timely1
View Public Profile
Send a private message to timely1
Find all posts by timely1
Add timely1 to Your Contacts

#8 Today, 01:17 PM
Watch Junkie
Senior Geek Join Date: Sep 2009

Not sure what is in "Sticky" (I have not seen it)but all I have EVER heard Daniel say on a show is that his watches are hand made and have Swiss Movements. Maybe he was miss quoted or he miss "Typed" so to speak. Ahh, no one is perfect right; but judging from all the feed back up here, his watches are pretty darn close to perfect in terms of design and QC.

Watch Junkie
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Watch Junkie
Send email to Watch Junkie
Find all posts by Watch Junkie
Add Watch Junkie to Your Contacts

#9 Today, 01:17 PM
Pacco17
Super Geek Join Date: Mar 2008

This is an old debate over the past couple of years. Renatos have swiss movements but are put together in China and some of the parts in a renato come from other European countries. Renatos are not Swiss made that is why you will never see any Renato that says Swiss Made. End of story.

Regards,
Stan

Pacco17
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Pacco17
Find all posts by Pacco17
Add Pacco17 to Your Contacts

#10 Today, 01:24 PM
D-Smoke
Veteran Geek Join Date: Feb 2009

I dont know why in this day and age of communications and the internet why companies are not just upfront about their products! People are going to find out sooner or later and they will be more pissed that you LIED or used DECEPTIVE practices than if they were just upfront about it. Although I have NEVER seen a Renato that said Swiss made so.... Sadly most people dont care where you make your product as long as its price is cheap. Thats why this country doesnt produce anything anymore.

D-Smoke
View Public Profile
Send a private message to D-Smoke
Send email to D-Smoke
Find all posts by D-Smoke
Add D-Smoke to Your Contacts

#11 Today, 01:26 PM
WatchMan149
True WatchGeek Join Date: Jan 2009

The watches are not made in China they are assembled in China to keep costs down, they are not Chinese parts, most parts are Swiss, and the materials used are from a number of different countries.

WatchMan149
View Public Profile
Send a private message to WatchMan149
Find all posts by WatchMan149
Add WatchMan149 to Your Contacts

#12 Today, 01:28 PM
Eztenn
Veteran Geek Join Date: Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by timely1
What??? Honesty is the point. Maybe you didn't read the sticky. Daniel Mink said that Renatos are assembled in Switzerland. The SNBC team responded that the T-Rex diver was assembled in China.

Like I said....ALL I ask is for the company to be honest and upfront about this. Is that too much to ask???

I agree they all should be honest and upfront ,but if they were all assembled in Switzerland,I might not be able to afford a lot of the watches I own.

Eztenn
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Eztenn
Find all posts by Eztenn
Add Eztenn to Your Contacts

#13 Today, 01:35 PM
kdking
Senior Geek Join Date: Mar 2009

The Guy's are only stating that they would like to be told Truth's & Fact's. I think that to honor being Truthful should not be that big of a deal. Consumers have their reasons.

kdking
View Public Profile
Send a private message to kdking
Find all posts by kdking
Add kdking to Your Contacts

#14 Today, 01:36 PM
CharlieB
True WatchGeek Join Date: Mar 2008

It's been said that if the top asian case, bracelet, dial, bezel, etc. factories released their watch company client lists, a lot of people who spend boatloads of money on "Swiss Made" watches from those companies would sh!t bricks.

Bottom line...high quality is high quality. I don't give a rat's butt where that level of quality comes from, I just want it.

CharlieB
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CharlieB
Find all posts by CharlieB
Add CharlieB to Your Contacts

#15 Today, 01:38 PM
NIGHTHAWK007

Why dont you call in this afternoons show and ask Daniel?

NIGHTHAWK007
View Public Profile
Send a private message to NIGHTHAWK007
Find all posts by NIGHTHAWK007
Add NIGHTHAWK007 to Your Contacts

#16 Today, 01:41 PM
MDC
Senior Geek Join Date: Aug 2009

I guess that asking for the truth could be tricky as well. As I understand it you can have the word "Swiss" somewhere on the watch yet the watch can be made entirely outside the country.

I, for one, don't really purchase in the ultra-luxury category(Breitling/Omega), I'm a value purchaser. I'm certain that several of my timepieces have been made/assembled in Asia despite where it's movement or crystal comes from. I also remember when "Made in Hong Kong" was a luxury designation for Asia as well.

http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

According to the website above, "Swiss Made" has the most restrictions. Anything less than that could be from somewhere else (or an outright fake, which I'll assume ShopNBC doesn't deal in).

And I'm just counting the days till my birthday in May when I get my T-Rex.

MDC
View Public Profile
Send a private message to MDC
Find all posts by MDC
Add MDC to Your Contacts

#17 Today, 01:55 PM
kevdawg
Senior Geek Join Date: Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB
It's been said that if the top asian case, bracelet, dial, bezel, etc. factories released their watch company client lists, a lot of people who spend boatloads of money on "Swiss Made" watches from those companies would sh!t bricks.

Bottom line...high quality is high quality. I don't give a rat's butt where that level of quality comes from, I just want it.

DITTO!!!

kevdawg
View Public Profile
Send a private message to kevdawg
Find all posts by kevdawg
Add kevdawg to Your Contacts

#18 Today, 02:04 PM
BRONCO
Senior Geek Join Date: Mar 2010

Quote:
Yes, I know this topic has been addressed before, and I HAVE read the sticky on this topic.

However - I was reading reviews of the T-Rex Diver on the Shop's website. http://www.shopnbc.com/Renato_Men_s_...aspx?storeid=1

One of the reviewers speculates that the watch, despite having a Swiss movement, was made in China. The SNBC team responds:

The ShopNBC Team would like to thank you for your valuable feedback! We have confirmed the movement is indeed Swiss, but the watch itself was assembled in China."

I will say that I have many Renatos, and if they are made in China - I don't necessarily care so much. BUT - I do care that the company is upfront about this information. So what is the correct answer on this topic?

This i believe is not new news....there are quit a few "swiss made" "PARTS" yes..but putting the whole watch together is far cheaper elsewhere than in switzerland....china,asia,vietnam,korea are populer destinations of final assembly on a lot of popular watches.

when you see "swiss made" sometimes its ment for the parts only..

BRONCO
View Public Profile
Send a private message to BRONCO
Send email to BRONCO
Find all posts by BRONCO
Add BRONCO to Your Contacts

#19 Today, 02:05 PM
reliefcp

Just look at the dial it says hand made Swiss movement.Where else would you think it would be made.As much as I dont like some of DMs buisness practices he has never ever said they were Swiss made.The quality is great and I dont care where they were made,its okay with me.

reliefcp
View Public Profile
Send a private message to reliefcp
Find all posts by reliefcp
Add reliefcp to Your Contacts

#20 Today, 02:10 PM
desert rex

personally I would love to ask Jim Skelton for the truth on this matter,but that would only put him in a position where he would have to reveal who is telling the truth ,SHOP NBC or RENATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliefcp
Just look at the dial it says hand made Swiss movement.Where else would you think it would be made.As much as I dont like some of DMs buisness practices he has never ever said they were Swiss made.The quality is great and I dont care where they were made,its okay with me.

The sticky on this matter under Renato , Daniel has never came on this forum to correct Bruce if he had misspoken Daniels words to us. as told by Bruce Daniels claims" Renato's are assembled by a Swiss factory" period.

desert rex
View Public Profile
Send a private message to desert rex
Find all posts by desert rex
Add desert rex to Your Contacts

#21 Today, 02:23 PM
Ocean
Veteran Geek Join Date: Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mm&up
Almost everything we have or use daily is made in an asian country.

True, and that is sad.

Ocean
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Ocean
Send email to Ocean
Find all posts by Ocean
Add Ocean to Your Contacts

#22 Today, 02:31 PM
D-Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCO
This i believe is not new news....there are quit a few "swiss made" "PARTS" yes..but putting the whole watch together is far cheaper elsewhere than in switzerland....china,asia,vietnam,korea are populer destinations of final assembly on a lot of popular watches.

when you see "swiss made" sometimes its ment for the parts only..

THATS NOT TRUE at ALL!! If it says SWISS MADE it is in cased in Switzerland! Swiss Mvmnt, Swiss parts Mvmnt yeah, but SWISS MADE means its incased in SWITZERLAND!

D-Smoke
View Public Profile
Send a private message to D-Smoke
Send email to D-Smoke
Find all posts by D-Smoke
Add D-Smoke to Your Contacts

#23 Today, 02:33 PM
HondaLover

I don't recall Renato EVER claiming their watchs are"Swiss Made", E.G. final assembly and inspection in Switzerland.

They state "Swiss Movt", when they can.

HondaLover
View Public Profile
Send a private message to HondaLover
Find all posts by HondaLover
Add HondaLover to Your Contacts

#24 Today, 02:37 PM
Misunderstood
Veteran Geek Join Date: Jan 2010

Quote:

I dont care if they're assembled in Cleveland I love em and will continue to buy em....

Misunderstood
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Misunderstood
Send email to Misunderstood
Find all posts by Misunderstood
Add Misunderstood to Your Contacts

#25 Today, 02:43 PM
fullautoarmalite
Master WatchGeek Join Date: Nov 2008

A men brother !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mm&up
Almost everything we have or use daily is made in an asian country, not a deal breaker for me or a big deal either.

desert rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaLover
I don't recall Renato EVER claiming their watchs are"Swiss Made", E.G. final assembly and inspection in Switzerland.

They state "Swiss Movt", when they can.

Regarding the thread from Daniels minks own words,which came as a result of the China syndrome thread,Daniel claims, at least to the members on this forum that Renato is contracted with a Swiss factory to do finale assembley of Renato watches.on air he states he wont put Swiss made on a watch unless all 100% of the watch is Swiss made, according to Daniel that is why Renato's dont say swiss made ,I have it on tape.now I'm finding out that my Renato collection might have been made two doors down from WONGS NOODEL FACTORY .So I'm a little upset over this claim from Shop NBC I spent 13k with shop last year and I dont like being decieved.

desert rex
View Public Profile

#27 Today, 02:53 PM
HondaLover

I'm pretty sure if Renato watches COULD claim "Swiss Made", they would. It would be stupid not to. Therefore, I assume they are NOT "Swiss Made".

HondaLover
View Public Profile

#28 Today, 02:54 PM
nismo1

Not something that most companies will answer.unless the company is a member of the SWF, any other company can put whatever they want on the dial.The only requirement for it to enter the states through customs is that the origin of the movement is on the dial.thats it.Customs doesn't care if its a swiss watch with a chinese movement.all they care about is that the chinese movement is listed on the dial or caseback.the swiss made arguement only applies to companies that comply with the rules and are in Switzerland.Thats it.

nismo1
View Public Profile
Send a private message to nismo1
Find all posts by nismo1
Add nismo1 to Your Contacts

#29 Today, 03:01 PM
desert rex

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if Renato watches COULD claim "Swiss Made", they would. It would be stupid not to. Therefore, I assume they are NOT "Swiss Made".

believe me it makes no sense to me either But this is what the man claims

desert rex
View Public Profile

#30 Today, 03:03 PM
sandyglover
Senior Geek Join Date: Jun 2008

Swiss parts but assembled elsewhere. I am satisfied with mine (two wildebeasts and the t-rex with changeable straps), but i can see your concern. we are, however gettingmore than we pay for with the SNBC deals, so be happy and enjoy your watches. they are great, whrerver they are assembled.

sandyglover
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sandyglover
Find all posts by sandyglover
Add sandyglover to Your Contacts

#31 Today, 03:05 PM
Flyback
True WatchGeek Join Date: Feb 2008

Quote:

Words of wisdom for the ages. We'll said Charlie!

If n = the number of watches you have, then n + 1 = the number of watches you need!

Flyback
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Flyback
Find all posts by Flyback
Add Flyback to Your Contacts

#32 Today, 03:06 PM
desert rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo1
Not something that most companies will answer.unless the company is a member of the SWF, any other company can put whatever they want on the dial.The only requirement for it to enter the states through customs is that the origin of the movement is on the dial.thats it.Customs doesn't care if its a swiss watch with a chinese movement.all they care about is that the chinese movement is listed on the dial or caseback.the swiss made arguement only applies to companies that comply with the rules and are in Switzerland.Thats it.

You are always the voice of reason and facts no doubt,but having them made in china kinda kills them for me,I wanted to beleive what Daniel has said on the matter.and now I cant,I think I need to step up into higher name brands to avoid deception in the future

desert rex
View Public Profile

#33 Today, 03:13 PM
hangdogdaddy
Senior Geek Join Date: Feb 2010

At one time in this great nation there were many renowned watch companies. It is a shame we lost that.

hangdogdaddy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to hangdogdaddy
Send email to hangdogdaddy
Find all posts by hangdogdaddy
Add hangdogdaddy to Your Contacts

#34 Today, 03:16 PM
WATCHURSELF
Super Geek Join Date: Feb 2009

YES - it is too much to ask!!!

Quote:
What??? Honesty is the point.

WATCHURSELF
View Public Profile
Send a private message to WATCHURSELF
Send email to WATCHURSELF
Find all posts by WATCHURSELF
Add WATCHURSELF to Your Contacts

#35 Today, 03:40 PM
timely1

Daniel or Jim or Michael -- PLEASE respond!

Maaan, I think some of you haven't read this post from Michael:

http://watchgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=5566

Here is a quote from that post:

"However, the assembly of the watches are done in Switzerland by a manufacturing partner that Renato has.

So...there you have it! Directly from "The Man". So, the next time this comes up, please point folks to this thread. " (this was posted in 2008)

Some of you might be asking, how could the watches be assembled in Switzerland and NOT be Swiss-made? I think the answer is, that for a watch to be considered Swiss made, it must have at least 51% Swiss parts. So if the watch had less Swiss parts than that, but was assembled in Switzerland, it could still not be labeled Swiss made.

But again, what Daniel told Michael in the post above is completely contrary to what the Shop posted to that customer on the SNBC website. Maybe they used to be assembled in Switzerland, but aren't anymore?? Or maybe somehow the Shop was mis-informed when they answered that customer's question on the website. This is just speculation.

Some of you are saying you don't care where a watch is made, as long as it's a quality piece. You know what - I'm in that boat too! BUT - I DO expect honesty from a company about this. There is no reason to lie.

I don't know what the truth is on this issue. But in general and IMO, if a company is dishonest about something like that - then why should anyone trust any other claims that company makes???

Can Jim or Michael or Daniel offer a definitive answer on this issue, once and for all? Please???

timely1
View Public Profile

#36 Today, 04:05 PM
KodaBoy

Renato does not claim that there watches are Swiss Made only Swiss Movement.

KodaBoy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to KodaBoy
Find all posts by KodaBoy
Add KodaBoy to Your Contacts

#37 Today, 04:08 PM
nismo1

I've got a new watch thats on the way.I'll not mention the brand but its 100% chinese with a japanese seiko 6R15 movement.My last 3 dive watches have swiss movements but the watch is made in asia.I'm not going to say that the chinese are getting better.That would be a very broad sweeping statement.But what I will say is that some of the companies in asia have the same machinery as the swiss.They also are getting training by the swiss and germans.Its a win win situation for the germans,swiss,japanese and asian companies.most of the steel and case blanks are bought from china anyways.some watches are junk with poor fitment and low quality parts.But............ the companies that contract with an asian watch company that stays involved during the design and prototype stage and isn't in a hurry, doesn't accept some of the prototypes and keeps resubmitting them until the tolerances are met,those companies end up being successful.you have to keep after the contract company to have them meet your own standards.We see this with renato and other companies that have watches built in asia.As long as the specs are met and the quality controls are in place you get good watches.

nismo1
View Public Profile
Find all posts by nismo1

#38 Today, 04:22 PM
tampa8
Veteran Geek Join Date: Oct 2008

I will point out that sticky post is from two years ago. The times they are a changing.....

tampa8
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tampa8
Find all posts by tampa8
Add tampa8 to Your Contacts

#39 Today, 04:34 PM
nismo1

E;1417120[COLOR=darkred]]REMOVED BY MODERATOR.[/quote]

That has nothing to do with this topic.its totally political and doesn't have a place here.

nismo1
View Public Profile
Find all posts by nismo1

#40 Today, 04:41 PM
invictaddicted

Quote:

couldnt agree more charlie.

invictaddicted
View Public Profile
Send a private message to invictaddicted
Find all posts by invictaddicted
Add invictaddicted to Your Contacts

#41 Today, 04:53 PM
BG
Super Geek Join Date: Sep 2008

All I can say is that I love my Renato watches.. The quality and detail that is put into every watch in my opinion surpasses a lot of the big "swiss made" brands by a mile and for a fraction of a price.

BG
View Public Profile
Send a private message to BG
Send email to BG
Find all posts by BG
Add BG to Your Contacts

#42 Today, 05:03 PM
valmont33

I am with the others who say quality is quality. They have great CS and a service center with watch makers in Florida so they are supporting the US economy. This is why you have a 2 week turn around on service and repairs (my wife cracked a crystal on her ceramic watch and Renato replaced the crystal, case and had it back in 2 weeks!).

If you asked me who I thought was correct in this matter, DM or some random rep and SHOP, I would go with DM and assume the rep from SHOP was misinformed.

I have never had a problem with Renato so whatever they are doing keep it up!

Quote:

valmont33
View Public Profile
Send a private message to valmont33
Visit valmont33's homepage!
Find all posts by valmont33
Add valmont33 to Your Contacts

#43 Today, 05:09 PM
Samgrub
Senior Geek Join Date: Mar 2008

I have never heard Daniel or anyone from SNBC say that Renato watches were Swiss made. What they do say is that the watch has a swiss movement and hand assembled. That statement does not indicate to me that Renato's are Swiss Made.

Samgrub
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Samgrub
Find all posts by Samgrub
Add Samgrub to Your Contacts

#44 Today, 05:13 PM
desert rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samgrub
I have never heard Daniel or anyone from SNBC say that Renato watches were Swiss made. What they do say is that the watch has a swiss movement and hand assembled. That statement does not indicate to me that Renato's are Swiss Made.

Read the sticky

desert rex
View Public Profile

#45 Today, 05:14 PM
Wisconsin Proud

Quote:

I believe he did say some pieces qualify to have the Swiss Made label but felt strongly that if it wasnt 100% Swiss Made then he wouldn't label his watches as Swiss Made.

Wisconsin Proud
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Wisconsin Proud
Find all posts by Wisconsin Proud
Add Wisconsin Proud to Your Contacts

#46 Today, 05:16 PM
desert rex

Quote:

Read the sticky,and Daniel has mentioned it on air last summer a couple of times.he also stated that until he uses 100% Swiss parts Renato will not say Swiss made

desert rex
View Public Profile

#47 Today, 05:41 PM
Bubblehead
Senior Geek Join Date: Jun 2009

For goodness sake, put this to rest already! Open the hood of your "American Made" car- I promise, you will see parts comprising your engine from France, China, Britain, Singapore etc. There are very few products ANYWHERE that are "all USA made" or "all Swiss Made." The economy is global and that is that. Nuff said.

As far as watches go, I have a couple Invicta "Swiss Made" Reserve pieces and they are of NO comparison in terms of quality and components to Renatos. Daniel's watches are FAR better in quality than anything Invicta as/will put out at any price. As far as customer service goes- I had to replace a bracelet on an Invicta Reserve piece and it has been nearly two months and I have no idea what the status is. I once sent a Renato Cyclops in for minor service and instead of fixing the watch, they send me a brand new one, no questions asked and it was on my wrist within one week. Renatos are an excellent brand regardless of where they are assembled.

Of note, is you are concerned with Asian production you might want to take a closer look at your clothes, medicine, food, building materials for your home, car parts, books and the list goes on. Nearly EVERYTHING is produced or assembled or both in China today. It is the result of what WE- the largest consumer nation in the world per capita- asked for. Low prices.

Bubblehead
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Bubblehead
Find all posts by Bubblehead
Add Bubblehead to Your Contacts

#48 Today, 05:51 PM
CLEANS-HIGH
Veteran Geek Join Date: Jul 2008

Renato is a high quality watch with excellent craftmanship and I will keep buying, I have a Seiko with a Malaysian movement and is an excellent dive watch. If Renatos were Swiss made they would say but they might be priced out of range, And I think they have every bit the fit and finish of my Swiss made watches

CLEANS-HIGH
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CLEANS-HIGH
Find all posts by CLEANS-HIGH
Add CLEANS-HIGH to Your Contacts

#49 Today, 05:51 PM
timely1

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmont33
If you asked me who I thought was correct in this matter, DM or some random rep and SHOP, I would go with DM and assume the rep from SHOP was misinformed.

I didn't ask you.. LOL

But seriously, why should we have to 'assume' who was correct about this? Is it THAT difficult to get a straight answer?

This issue is not about whether Daniel said Renatos are "Swiss made." Read the sticky.... He said that Renatos are assembled in Switzerland. (that does NOT equal "Swiss made")

The Shop said that the T-Rex diver in question was assembled in China.

So WHICH is it? Are Renatos assembled in Switzerland OR China??? Some geeks would like to know!

Sure, I could easily believe that the Shop got it wrong when they answered that customer. Very possibly, that's what happened.

I am just asking for a CLARIFICATION on the issue of WHERE RENATOS ARE ASSEMBLED from someone who knows - like Jim, Michael, or Daniel. That is all.

timely1
View Public Profile

#50 Today, 05:55 PM
desert rex

the issue is misrepresentation of the product and their origin .dont say you are teamed up with a Swiss factory when you are not,a lot of members buy off of what is said on this forum,we trust the owners,and we trust the watch company's who post here,and when we find out different it's a problem.I bought three renatos recently simply due to Daniel's claim,thats why its a big deal a very big deal

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

#51 Today, 06:00 PM
timely1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead
As far as watches go, I have a couple Invicta "Swiss Made" Reserve pieces and they are of NO comparison in terms of quality and components to Renatos. Daniel's watches are FAR better in quality than anything Invicta as/will put out at any price. As far as customer service goes- I had to replace a bracelet on an Invicta Reserve piece and it has been nearly two months and I have no idea what the status is.

Bubblehead: your comment about Renato quality compared to Invicta is ONLY your opinion, not fact. And it is off-topic to the issue at hand.

This thread is ALSO not about customer service.

Furthermore, I have spent a lot of money on Renato watches and I have every right to inquire about WHERE they are assembled, when there are contradictory statements from Daniel and the Shop. If this doesn't bother you, GREAT!

I am just trying to resolve the discrepancy that I pointed out between what Michael posted from Daniel, and what the Shop posted.

timely1
View Public Profile

#52 Today, 06:18 PM
HondaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rex
Read the sticky,and Daniel has mentioned it on air last summer a couple of times.he also stated that until he uses 100% Swiss parts Renato will not say Swiss made

That gets him off the hook, a distraction IMO. It does not mean the current watch(s) qualify to be labeled "Swiss made" on their dials at 6:00.

HondaLover
View Public Profile

#53 Today, 06:22 PM
desert rex

Quote:
That gets him off the hook. It does not mean the current watch(s) qualify to be labeled "Swiss made" on their dials at 6:00.

Thats all fine and good ,but dont tell us their assembled by a Swiss factory when its done in China.

desert rex
View Public Profile

#54 Today, 06:52 PM
dansoy79
Senior Geek Join Date: Nov 2009

dont like it ? dont buy it. I like it

dansoy79
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dansoy79
Find all posts by dansoy79
Add dansoy79 to Your Contacts

#55 Today, 07:00 PM
Z4MC
Super Geek Join Date: Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderstood
I dont care if they're assembled in Cleveland I love em and will continue to buy em....

uh huh- I just unwrapped two Wilde Beast Divers and a Wilde Beast silvertone diamond Alligator and the quality and perfection is amazing. I think Mr. Mink is a genius- use the best parts all the time, sapphire crystals, use 5 basic designs that are almost universally loved and make variants of them built in China to save labor costs.

I am on board with this business model 100%

And I DON'T like buying things made in China and buy from any other country when I can but with Renato- I will make an exception. IF they were built in Switzerland they would be 200-250 more and I couldn't afford them.

Maybe one day he will have an all Swiss line and if anyone cares they can buy those?

Z4MC
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Z4MC
Find all posts by Z4MC
Add Z4MC to Your Contacts

#56 Today, 07:02 PM
CharlieB
True WatchGeek Join Date: Mar 2008

The overall quality level of Renato watches is high, few will argue that fact.

My problem with Renato is, and has always been...when it comes to Renato the truth is elusive. Never count on knowing it.

CharlieB
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CharlieB
Find all posts by CharlieB
Add CharlieB to Your Contacts

#57 Today, 07:03 PM
desert rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoy79
dont like it ? dont buy it. I like it

thats the problem I did buy them three times due to Daniel stating that they were all hand built by the Swiss regardless of a Swiss name at the 6.00 hr.
Some people do not mind being deceived they just go with the flow and be quiet.your statement of dont like it dont buy it is really not the issue here.if you have not figured out the drift of this thread after 3 pages you never will get it and its meaning will not hit home to you

desert rex
View Public Profile

#58 Today, 07:04 PM
desert rex

Quote:
The overall quality level of Renato watches is high, few will argue that fact.

My problem with Renato is, and has always been...when it comes to Renato the truth is elusive. Never count on knowing it.

Like area 51

desert rex
View Public Profile

#59 Today, 07:59 PM
tempusviator
Senior Geek Join Date: Dec 2009

Quote:
I didn't ask you.. LOL

But seriously, why should we have to 'assume' who was correct about this? Is it THAT difficult to get a straight answer?

This issue is not about whether Daniel said Renatos are "Swiss made." Read the sticky.... He said that Renatos are assembled in Switzerland. (that does NOT equal "Swiss made")

The Shop said that the T-Rex diver in question was assembled in China.

So WHICH is it? Are Renatos assembled in Switzerland OR China??? Some geeks would like to know!

Sure, I could easily believe that the Shop got it wrong when they answered that customer. Very possibly, that's what happened.

I am just asking for a CLARIFICATION on the issue of WHERE RENATOS ARE ASSEMBLED from someone who knows - like Jim, Michael, or Daniel. That is all.

I have several higher-end Renato timepieces and - so far so good - they have exceptional fit, finish, reliability, and style for the price point. And, that's all good.

However, if you're waiting for clarification from Renato, which I agree you and the rest of us loyal Renato customers (some of whom sport Renato's far and wide and spread good will and positive word-of-mouth about its products) are entitled, I suspect you may be waiting a while.

You see, this isn't the first such controversy involving a purported, major attribute of Renato timepieces. For example, my two-tone T-Rex Diver says "Limited Edition" on the bezel and is supposedly one out of seventy-five that were made. You may recall a certain amount of "confusion" in the past concerning the accuracy/veracity of Renato's claims of LE/LP timepieces. Someone advise me if I missed it, but I don't recall that matter ever being clarified by Renato or DM, on this forum or elsewhere.

The botom line for me, like others have said, as long as Renato keeps producing quality, stylish timepieces for a good price, that stand the test of time and appeal to me, I'll probably continue purchasing them; however, until the above issues are definitively and honestly resolved by Renato once and for all, I will not purchase Renato timepieces based on claims of LE/LP and/or of being Swiss assembled or made, in whole or in part; and, until then, I woudn't feel comfortable recommending them to others based upon such claims.

tempusviator
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tempusviator
Find all posts by tempusviator
Add tempusviator to Your Contacts

#60 Today, 08:01 PM
vbobdriveguy
Master WatchGeek Join Date: Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8
I will point out that sticky post is from two years ago. The times they are a changing.....

Good point. Is it possible that they have changed where their watches are assembled? Maybe.

Personally, I don't care if they're assembled in a bathroom at the Hong Kong airport as long as the quality is there. (OK. Maybe not the bathroom, but maybe a small, quiet, clean, out of the way corner of the airport. LOL)

vbobdriveguy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to vbobdriveguy
Find all posts by vbobdriveguy
Add vbobdriveguy to Your Contacts

#61 Today, 08:07 PM
timely1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempusviator
I have several higher-end Renato timepieces and - so far so good - they have exceptional fit, finish, reliability, and style for the price point. And, that's all good.

However, if you're waiting for clarification from Renato, which I agree you and the rest of us loyal Renato customers (some of whom sport Renato's far and wide and spread good will and positive word-of-mouth about its products) are entitled, I suspect you may be waiting a while.

You see, this isn't the first such controversy involving a purported, major attribute of Renato timepieces. For example, my two-tone T-Rex Diver says "Limited Edition" on the bezel and is supposedly one out of seventy-five that were made. You may recall a certain amount of "confusion" in the past concerning the accuracy/veracity of Renato's claims of LE/LP timepieces. Someone advise me if I missed it, but I don't recall that matter ever being clarified by Renato or DM, on this forum or elsewhere.

The botom line for me, like others have said, as long as Renato keeps producing quality, stylish timepieces for a good price, that stand the test of time and appeal to me, I'll probably continue purchasing them; however, until the above issues are definitively and honestly resolved by Renato once and for all, I will not purchase Renato timepieces based on claims of LE/LP and/or of being Swiss assembled or made, in whole or in part; and, until then, I woudn't feel comfortable recommending them to others based upon such claims.

Thanks Marco for the post. Yes I remember very well the other thread about the LE topic. I was trying to avoid that subject.

For anyone who would like to know, I sent an email not long ago to Renato, to the attention of Mr. Mink himself and asked him to clarify this issue. I will let you know if I find out anything.

timely1
View Public Profile

#62 Today, 09:58 PM
ky

Let's just call it what it is.

It's pretty obvious that we've been led to believe in many questionable claims pertaining to the Renato brand.

Certain facts have clearly been conveniently left out during the presentation process to protect and boost sales.

I have purchased over 50 Renato's the past 4 to 5 years and don't appreciate being lied-to or manipulated either.

That said:

Does that mean Renato watches are not well made? NO!!!

Does that mean Renato watches are poor quality? NO!!!

Does that mean Renato watches are not worth buying? NOT REALLY!!!

Does that mean we all should pay closer attention to the things people say when they have something to sale us? HELL YES!!!

It's really no different than believing what the used car salesman may or may not say...

Luv Dat Purple Haze Mann!

ky
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ky
Find all posts by ky
Add ky to Your Contacts

#63 Today, 10:09 PM
Bigjay66
Senior Geek Join Date: May 2009

FYI

FYI

Overall Rating:

3 out of 5

Interesting Watch,
Date: June 29, 2009

By cane71 from Pensacola, FL
(read all my reviews)

from Pensacola, FL

"At first blush, this is a massive timepiece! It is quite heavy, yet comfortable on the wrist. Pros: Nice design; easy to read; good looking.
Now the negative. Although the watch face has "swiss movt" the country of origin is not specified on the watch or on any of the paperwork. To me this indicates the watch was probably fabricated in China. But for that fact, I would have given this watch a 4-star rating."

How often do you shop with us? Occasionally

2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?YesYesNoNo(Report Inappropriate Review)(Report Inappropriate Review)

Response from ShopNBC:By TeamShopNBC, July 9, 2009
The ShopNBC Team would like to thank you for your valuable feedback! We have confirmed the movement is indeed Swiss, but the watch itself was assembled in China.

Bigjay66
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Bigjay66
Send email to Bigjay66
Find all posts by Bigjay66
Add Bigjay66 to Your Contacts

#64 Today, 10:11 PM
Z4MC
Super Geek Join Date: Aug 2008

Wait what other brand advertises "This is a Chinese made model"?
NONE- if it is Swiss made- they of course say it- if it is NOT Swiss made- NO ONE really goes into where they are made- and we all KNOW it is probably China.
So we expect Mr Mink to tell us they are made in China when no one else does?
Where are Invicta's made that are not Switzerland? Uhh lets guess.

The Chinese own all of our debt= at the very least we can buy their watches!

Z4MC
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Z4MC
Find all posts by Z4MC
Add Z4MC to Your Contacts

#65 Today, 10:23 PM
timely1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MC
NONE- if it is Swiss made- they of course say it- if it is NOT Swiss made- NO ONE really goes into where they are made- and we all KNOW it is probably China.

To be silent about where a watch is assembled if it is not Swiss made is one thing...and is acceptable. (because we can guess the country of origin)

BUT to say watches are assembled in Switzerland IF THEY ARE NOT assembled there is entirely a different matter, and H*LL YES I would like a clarification on that point! (that is, if the company wants to keep me as a loyal customer)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: SNBC says the T-Rex Diver is made in China...

Postby foghorn » March 28th 2010, 3:52am

Timex automatics use Seagull movements and state the fact that the movement is from China clearly on the exhibition backs crystal.

It's not that difficult,really.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Watch Noob » March 28th 2010, 4:29am

lol, if you refer to my point yesterday in the thread that came over from Geeks who posted "Never again Invicta", those steps were followed almost to a tee in this thread from WG. You can read these guys like a book.

Here's a hint for the poor lost bunnies. If you are watching a show on Shop and the watch is assembled in Switzerland, you will hear about it non stop. If it is not, the subject will be avoided like your pedophilic brother-in-law at a family reunion.
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby Datsun240Z71 » March 28th 2010, 5:14am

There were so many great quotes in that thread, there's really no where to start or end.

I really like the fact that they could be made in Cleveland or the "restroom at the Hong Kong airport" and that's okay for all the geek reasons you can imagine, and then some.

Reason, rationalization and right-and-wrong have no bearing on the discussion for most posters.

As someone stated, "the truth is elusive".

Seems to apply to most of the TV brands.
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby Ditchdoc » March 28th 2010, 10:53am

I don't have anything against some of the quality chinese movements. I am a bit skeptical because in the past, chinese equaled junk.

I do however like to be an informed consumer. Why the hell is it so difficult for certian watch companies to shoot straight with you? To tell the truth about the origin and manufactureing of their watches? I would probably still buy but when I find out this information on the fora when the companies have ommited or been less than honest about their product, of course it raises more and more red flags and makes me just want to stay away all together.
Ditchdoc

Postby Mark1 » March 28th 2010, 11:19am

At least they are hand made in China? Right?
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » September 5th 2015, 12:14am

:D

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby codguy » September 5th 2015, 6:37am

hijacque aleart.....

Shaime Thee renatoe forum isn't knot Still a round' thats place waz hella phun lol lol

hijacque over

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 5th 2015, 7:05am

I stopped when I got to the post where some buffoon said, "I spent 13k on shop last year..."

Dumbass could have bought 1-5 very nice, well made, timeless watches with that kind of cash. Who admits to that level of stupidity?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 5th 2015, 8:01am

Wow. Another stroll down Mendacity Lane.

That being noted, and I always try to be fair when reading stuff from WG: What a bunch of fucking morons.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Watch Noob » September 5th 2015, 10:33am

I vote this guy for Watch Geek of the year:

Here's a clue, if you're buying a watch off TV, it's probably not quality. Having said that my wife purchased a T-Rex for me for my birthday years back that I need to replace the battery on. I think I have like 6 watches that need a battery change :cry:
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Return to Controversies in the watch world