The Zenith Heritage Pilot Café Racer

The Zenith Heritage Pilot Café Racer

Postby koimaster » March 30th 2016, 11:32am

The Heritage Pilot Café Racer is the latest entry in Zenith’s famed collection of pilot watches, and on paper it’s a great addition with its own spin on the genre. But is the connection between 1960s café racing culture and high-flying timekeeping instruments a little too far fetched? And does it matter if it is?

The new Café Racer has all the redeeming qualities of a classic pilot’s watch, i.e. a lot of oversized features, from its case and Arabic numerals to its onion crown and faceted hands. But this particular pilot's watch is inspired by a wingless machine, ridden not flown, on long ribbons of concrete.

The Café Racer was a hybrid motorcycle, and the symbol of a timid movement led by Britain’s thrill-seeking, blue-jean-wearing youth in the '60s. Gathering at cafés – the kind with a liquor license and a jukebox filled with good tunes – they’d race lightweight bikes such as the Triton (Triumph engine + Norton frame). They were uncomfortable but fast, and they looked good in between races.

The Heritage Pilot Café Racer follows the same logic. It’s built around the El Primero 4069, an impressive high-frequency movement beating at 36,000 vph and one capable of delivering a solid 50 hours of power reserve. But Zenith have not gone the lightweight route with the case.

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-ze ... subculture

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Zenith Heritage Pilot Café Racer

Postby conjurer » March 30th 2016, 11:38am

I know a lot of members of the Bandido MC around here wear Zenith El Primero high-beat wristwatches.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Beau nidle » March 30th 2016, 12:09pm

I wonder what the aspirational timepiece for the 1%er is? Did Invicter ever do an HD colab? With buckskin fringes and conchos? Missing a step if not.
Beau nidle
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » March 30th 2016, 12:51pm

The crown is too small.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Return to Zenith