A. Lange & Söhne Lange 31 in White Gold

A. Lange & Söhne Lange 31 in White Gold

Postby Racer-X » May 7th 2017, 8:57am

by Mark Bernardo "Some watch enthusiasts adore the daily ritual of winding their mechanical timepieces; others would prefer to wind their watches only as frequently as they pay their electric bill. It is for this latter group that A. Lange & Söhne created the groundbreaking Lange 31 in 2007."

Article at WatchTime
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: A. Lange & Söhne Lange 31 in White Gold

Postby eddiea » May 7th 2017, 1:50pm

Yup...that works
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2017, 2:29pm

There are no suitable words. Beyond my wildest dreams - everything I would ever want in a piece so gorgeous it defies my vocabulary. I could never possibity attain it, but that doesn't mean I can't covet it.

Man.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » May 7th 2017, 2:42pm

TemerityB wrote:There are no suitable words. Beyond my wildest dreams - everything I would ever want in a piece so gorgeous it defies my vocabulary. I could never possibity attain it, but that doesn't mean I can't covet it.Man.

Think positive , you'll never know....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 7th 2017, 2:47pm

A very interesting movement- a month of power reserve, that's truly impressive. The watch looks nice, too.

The article sounds as if it was written by a Lange marketing guy. Especially the part about superior precision. The unofficial law of movement construction says, that bringing one capability to the extreme will reduce other capabilities. Now, that's especially the relation between accuracy and power reserve. If you plan to have a monstrous power reserve, you will have to increase the mainspring barrel, and reduce the balance. If you plan to have an extremely accurate movement, you have to at least give it a decent balance, and either add a stronger mainspring, or reduce the frequency (or both- like in the ETA Powermatic 80).

8 days movements are known to perform at +7/+10 s/d, but I have really no idea, what will the accuracy be like in a movement with 31 of days power reserve, and a balance that small... That said, I don't know by how much will Lange's constant force device improve the accuracy, but it better be "by a bloody lot", because the performance of movements like that is usually very, very far from COSC spec (well, it's not COSC, so it doesn't have to perform at +6, but it's priced at 140 grand, at which one should expect a lot from a watch). Hope that someone will manage to publish the performance of that movement. If they'll keep it below +10 s/d, that'd be probably the most extraordinary movement I've seen in quite a while.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2017, 2:53pm

eddiea wrote:Think positive , you'll never know....

It's $140,500. I can be as positive as the next guy, but I'm also a realist. Tell you what though - A. Lange is gonna be at this year's WatchTime event in NYC this October, and I already have my tickets - and you just know I'm gonna try one on my wrist - the next best thing to "being there."
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to A. Lange & Söhne