The Value Proposition The Tissot Swissmatic

watches we all can afford

The Value Proposition The Tissot Swissmatic

Postby koimaster » October 25th 2017, 11:30am

Is a Swiss-made automatic watch for under $400 too good to be true?

Within the Swatch Group’s diverse portfolio of watch brands, Tissot has turned into the go-to brand for watches that pack a lot of technological and mechanical punch for not a ton of money (relatively speaking, as always). Well, Tissot’s stepped things up a notch with the Everytime Swissmatic, offering an automatic Swiss-made watch for under $400. But the real question: Is it any good?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tisso ... roposition

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Value Proposition The Tissot Swissmatic

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 5:48pm

Do we really need another bland Bauhaus wanna be watch?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 25th 2017, 6:11pm

bedlam wrote:Do we really need another bland Bauhaus wanna be watch?

It is bland alright.

The concept of these movements sounds good, but the package that it comes in looks unimpressive. As if someone didn't really put any effort into designing it. Like, "Eeeeasy, I'll design that before lunch. Which is in 15 minutes."
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby SynMike » October 25th 2017, 6:32pm

No thanks. I guess it's aimed to be a step up from a Daniel Wellington in similar style. But just based on looks, there are plenty of nicer looking watches in the style. I think even a Daniel Wellington looks nicer than the Tissot.

More importantly, the price for that watch with that movement is not justified IMO. I'm actually kind of intrigued by the movement in spite of the compromises. I might be a buyer if I found a style I liked at under $200. But "Swiss" just isn't that important to me. There are so many good watches within that price range. Seiko continues to put out 7s26 (and variant) based watches starting under $100. A Seagull is far more interesting at the price of those Tissot models. But maybe I'm just disenfranchised based on the ridiculous price increases in all Swiss watches over the past 5 years. All the current prices simply aren't justifiable IMO.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 25th 2017, 8:30pm

To me, it's obviously a watch made solely to compete with the DWs and MVMTs, with the "special" feature of it being an automatic movement.

But the people who wear those Larsson & Jennings and DWs could give less than a rat's ass about movements - they're the "in" thing in department store fashion watches (this week). Likely to end up on an end cap near you within six months, but the trend continues.

It's pretty much the same as Alpina and Tag Heuer and their "horological smartwatches": It's the old guard trying to keep up, desperate to scarf up whatever pennies they can from a marketplace they clearly don't understand - and shouldn't even try to in the first place. I'd prefer they stick to trying to produce quality automatic watches and let the smartwatches and DWs go the way of Cabbage Patch dolls and Pokemon Go.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » October 25th 2017, 9:24pm

Jomashop has the much nicer Powermatic 80 for only $345 and the Visodate for only $375.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 9:27pm

TemerityB wrote:I'd prefer they stick to trying to produce quality automatic watches and let the smartwatches and DWs go the way of Cabbage Patch dolls and Pokemon Go.

Smart watches have some of the feel of Bluetooth headsets. Kinda cool, but kinda douchey. They have some benefits but never really reach full acceptance and widespread use. Eventually end up dying in the back of a drawer somewhere.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » October 26th 2017, 1:28am

Look at these, and please tell me what the fuck happened...

...to Tissot's design? These all date between 1967-1979, and they are in my opinion, sublime.
Mike has some older ones, and they are just as beautiful. The new design Swissmatic just leaves me cold, nothing wrong with them for another company, but they just ain't Tissot.
Just why can't they do a decent retrospective?
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 26th 2017, 4:52am

I picked up a quartz version a few months ago and, for about the same price as a Timex Waterbury. I find it to be a decent looking and inexpensive "Swiss Made" bang around watch. As far as the new automatics are concerned I'd be more apt to get a Sistem 51.(I still might)
I have no problem with Tissots current designs. There are still some "vintage" styles available. Visodates look good as do some of the 516s that are still available , though many are disco'd, in the older "rally style" design.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » October 26th 2017, 8:28am

bobbee wrote:Just why can't they do a decent retrospective?

Aren't there some 516s that kind of hold the fort?

"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » October 26th 2017, 9:36am

The movement concerns me. Seems like it would be hard to repair and be more apt to be disposable.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » October 26th 2017, 9:59am

AJC wrote:The movement concerns me. Seems like it would be hard to repair and be more apt to be disposable.

That's pretty much what Swatch says. But apparently the limited number of components (51) that make up the movement lead to a long life.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Falstaff » October 26th 2017, 9:59am

AJC wrote:The movement concerns me. Seems like it would be hard to repair and be more apt to be disposable.

Swatch's Sistem 51 is not designed to be repaired. It is considered disposable. As a matter of fact, the case back can't even be removed (on Swatch). The Tissot mvt. claims to be based on the Sistem 51 with more metal parts - so I'm with you as far as repair being iffy. The Sistem 51 Swatches can be had at around $150 - I'd be OK (not happy but OK) with pitching one when it crapped out - but with the Tissot for "under $400", I'd have a real issue if it were not repairable.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » October 26th 2017, 10:51am

TemerityB wrote:
bobbee wrote:Just why can't they do a decent retrospective?

Aren't there some 516s that kind of hold the fort?

You got me!
Also, try looking for the "Tissot Porto" line, to give me an even redder face... :oops:

Edit- Or the Tissot "Heritage" line...oops... :oops: :oops:
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 26th 2017, 2:28pm

bobbee wrote:You got me!
Also, try looking for the "Tissot Porto" line, to give me an even redder face... :oops:

Edit- Or the Tissot "Heritage" line...oops... :oops: :oops:

No worries. We have a Tissot boutique here in NYC, and the number of models they produce is kind of mind-boggling, from COSC certified chronos to $100 quartz dress stuff. Their product line is enormous (and, unlike IWG, I've yet to get people complaining by the thousands over an almost unfathomable lack of quality).
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » October 26th 2017, 3:22pm

foghorn wrote:That's pretty much what Swatch says. But apparently the limited number of components (51) that make up the movement lead to a long life.

Falstaff wrote:Swatch's Sistem 51 is not designed to be repaired. It is considered disposable. As a matter of fact, the case back can't even be removed (on Swatch). The Tissot mvt. claims to be based on the Sistem 51 with more metal parts - so I'm with you as far as repair being iffy. The Sistem 51 Swatches can be had at around $150 - I'd be OK (not happy but OK) with pitching one when it crapped out - but with the Tissot for "under $400", I'd have a real issue if it were not repairable.

Ah. Well. First thing I was correct on all day. Bully for me!

Hell, if they're designed to be disposable, that's fine with me.

But at that price? (the Tissot price) I'll take a well-built quartz movement.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Return to Affordable Watches