Great Watches for Under $500

watches we all can afford

Great Watches for Under $500

Postby koimaster » June 21st 2017, 12:44pm

A great watch doesn’t have to cost more than a mortgage payment. In episode 16 of The worn&wound Podcast, Zach and Ilya discuss eight fantastic watches–each coming in at under $500. Now, these aren’t necessarily the best watches in the category. Rather, this list is more of a highlight of some of the great things available at this price point. If there’s something you really like for under $500 and we left it out of our round-up, then be sure to let us and other listeners know by leaving a comment below.

http://wornandwound.com/wornwound-podca ... tches-500/
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 32107
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby 32771 » June 21st 2017, 6:40pm

What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.
User avatar
32771
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 702
Joined: September 4th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby TemerityB » June 23rd 2017, 1:33pm

What a great theme song.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 13042
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 8:07am

32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby eddiea » July 3rd 2017, 8:33am

Great Watches for Under $500 ?...None :scratch:
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 10669
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 8:58am

Citizen Signature is a nice watch with a highly decorated movement sold now for $700 around but it can probably be obtained for under $500 when it passes into grey and preowned market
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 10:09am

PiningforElgin wrote:
32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for


Unsure what we would ever do without your extreme knowledge of this hobby..... but then again, I'm also unsure who you are actually educating here.
Heads up- this place has the most knowledgable members on the subject matter of any watch forum on the planet.
.

Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby eddiea » July 3rd 2017, 10:26am

TemerityB wrote:What a great theme song.

Like your new avatar T...sexy!
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 10669
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 10:27am

codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for


Unsure what we would ever do without your extreme knowledge of this hobby..... but then again, I'm also unsure who you are actually educating here.
Heads up- this place has the most knowledgable members on the subject matter of any watch forum on the planet.


Okay, I said something obvious and shouldn't be said, to someone who uses sexual references to MSRPs. We were both wrong. I admit it. Happy now?
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby TemerityB » July 3rd 2017, 10:29am

eddiea wrote:
TemerityB wrote:What a great theme song.

Like your new avatar T...sexy!


Charles Wahlingford thinks so. :wink:
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 13042
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 10:41am

codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for


Unsure what we would ever do without your extreme knowledge of this hobby..... but then again, I'm also unsure who you are actually educating here.
Heads up- this place has the most knowledgable members on the subject matter of any watch forum on the planet.


Again, I don't seek to "educate" anyone and am here for learning and evolving. Do I say silly things that offend some sensibilities? Sure. I replied to "dingdong MSRP" with something y'all probably knew. A bad call on my part? Sure. It was fit as a response to a silly post itself. And you gotta tolerate some of that silliness once a while. So apologies if my stupidity is offensive and disgusting. I'm happy to move on
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 10:59am

PiningforElgin wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for


Unsure what we would ever do without your extreme knowledge of this hobby..... but then again, I'm also unsure who you are actually educating here.
Heads up- this place has the most knowledgable members on the subject matter of any watch forum on the planet.


Again, I don't seek to "educate" anyone and am here for learning and evolving. Do I say silly things that offend some sensibilities? Sure. I replied to "dingdong MSRP" with something y'all probably knew. A bad call on my part? Sure. It was fit as a response to a silly post itself. And you gotta tolerate some of that silliness once a while. So apologies if my stupidity is offensive and disgusting. I'm happy to move on


Lighten up Francis, don't be too hard on yourself. We have a huge knowledge base on this hobby of man jewelry, perhaps doing some more reading of posts here will show you that.
I'm sure you will do well, simply sit tight and hold on big guy.
Last edited by codguy on July 3rd 2017, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
.

Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby conjurer » July 3rd 2017, 11:00am

codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for


Unsure what we would ever do without your extreme knowledge of this hobby..... but then again, I'm also unsure who you are actually educating here.
Heads up- this place has the most knowledgable members on the subject matter of any watch forum on the planet.


Again, I don't seek to "educate" anyone and am here for learning and evolving. Do I say silly things that offend some sensibilities? Sure. I replied to "dingdong MSRP" with something y'all probably knew. A bad call on my part? Sure. It was fit as a response to a silly post itself. And you gotta tolerate some of that silliness once a while. So apologies if my stupidity is offensive and disgusting. I'm happy to move on


Lighten up Francis, don't be too hard on yourself. We have a huge knowledge base on this hobby of man jewelry, perhaps doing some more reading of posts here will show you that.
I'm sure you will do well here, simply sit tight and hold on big guy.


Yup. We're just breaking your balls a little bit.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24442
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 11:02am

conjurer wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
32771 wrote:What a ding-dong. That Victorinox is 950 MSRP. SMH.


MSRPs are inflated.

I think grey market prices are prices people usually get their watches for. Joma, Ashford, etc. The lowest price available in public (with guaranteed authenticity and new with tags) should be regarded as the true price since that's the price people will actually go for


Unsure what we would ever do without your extreme knowledge of this hobby..... but then again, I'm also unsure who you are actually educating here.
Heads up- this place has the most knowledgable members on the subject matter of any watch forum on the planet.


Again, I don't seek to "educate" anyone and am here for learning and evolving. Do I say silly things that offend some sensibilities? Sure. I replied to "dingdong MSRP" with something y'all probably knew. A bad call on my part? Sure. It was fit as a response to a silly post itself. And you gotta tolerate some of that silliness once a while. So apologies if my stupidity is offensive and disgusting. I'm happy to move on


Lighten up Francis, don't be too hard on yourself. We have a huge knowledge base on this hobby of man jewelry, perhaps doing some more reading of posts here will show you that.
I'm sure you will do well here, simply sit tight and hold on big guy.


Yup. We're just breaking your balls a little bit.

:) ;) It's not like I'm angry, just replying in-kind. Look forward to fun times
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby foghorn » July 3rd 2017, 11:44am

There is no place for levity in the world of horology and fuck anyone who doesn't agree. Except for lumberjacks. Cuz they are hairy and have axelrods to cut down trees and such.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 15249
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby bedlam » July 3rd 2017, 4:55pm

PiningforElgin wrote: :) ;) It's not like I'm angry, just replying in-kind. Look forward to fun times

They are bristling at your tone. It's very explanatory, or what my wife would call 'mansplaining'.

Some Lords criticised the article because the assumption implicit in it is that an average Joe could walk into a jeweller or retail outlet and expect to pick the watches listed up for under $500. Obviously they can't, and that was being pointed out.

Telling the Lords that MSRP's are inflated and grey market prices are lower is pretty condescending and completely missed the point.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 5:34pm

bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote: :) ;) It's not like I'm angry, just replying in-kind. Look forward to fun times

They are bristling at your tone. It's very explanatory, or what my wife would call 'mansplaining'.

Some Lords criticised the article because the assumption implicit in it is that an average Joe could walk into a jeweller or retail outlet and expect to pick the watches listed up for under $500. Obviously they can't, and that was being pointed out.

Telling the Lords that MSRP's are inflated and grey market prices are lower is pretty condescending and completely missed the point.


As I said, it was a bad call on my part. Possibly due to too much drinking last night.

I disagree on your point about average Joe walking into jeweler and ask for a watch of a specific model. I've asked brand boutique stores if they had Xxx so I could try handle it first and most of the time the answer had been no. Most average Joe's probably go on Google.

Due to the above reason I thought his post was silly so I replied in kind. I stand by my assertion that his and your assertion about the average Joe walking into jeweler scenario is silly. If that Joe read articles on the internet, he knows how to use internet
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby bedlam » July 3rd 2017, 5:55pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote: :) ;) It's not like I'm angry, just replying in-kind. Look forward to fun times

They are bristling at your tone. It's very explanatory, or what my wife would call 'mansplaining'.

Some Lords criticised the article because the assumption implicit in it is that an average Joe could walk into a jeweller or retail outlet and expect to pick the watches listed up for under $500. Obviously they can't, and that was being pointed out.

Telling the Lords that MSRP's are inflated and grey market prices are lower is pretty condescending and completely missed the point.


As I said, it was a bad call on my part. Possibly due to too much drinking last night.

I disagree on your point about average Joe walking into jeweler and ask for a watch of a specific model. I've asked brand boutique stores if they had Xxx so I could try handle it first and most of the time the answer had been no. Most average Joe's probably go on Google.

Due to the above reason I thought his post was silly so I replied in kind. I stand by my assertion that his and your assertion about the average Joe walking into jeweler scenario is silly. If that Joe read articles on the internet, he knows how to use internet

So now you are telling me my stuff is silly? In general I believe things go better in these discussions when you play the ball rather than the man.

I know a whole raft of people who can use the net but aren't confident buying things on it, especially for more specialist items. I have had friends and family approach me to help them navigate watch purchases online because they are not confident. I'm sure other's here know many such people also.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 5:59pm

bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote: :) ;) It's not like I'm angry, just replying in-kind. Look forward to fun times

They are bristling at your tone. It's very explanatory, or what my wife would call 'mansplaining'.

Some Lords criticised the article because the assumption implicit in it is that an average Joe could walk into a jeweller or retail outlet and expect to pick the watches listed up for under $500. Obviously they can't, and that was being pointed out.

Telling the Lords that MSRP's are inflated and grey market prices are lower is pretty condescending and completely missed the point.


As I said, it was a bad call on my part. Possibly due to too much drinking last night.

I disagree on your point about average Joe walking into jeweler and ask for a watch of a specific model. I've asked brand boutique stores if they had Xxx so I could try handle it first and most of the time the answer had been no. Most average Joe's probably go on Google.

Due to the above reason I thought his post was silly so I replied in kind. I stand by my assertion that his and your assertion about the average Joe walking into jeweler scenario is silly. If that Joe read articles on the internet, he knows how to use internet

So now you are telling me my stuff is silly? In general I believe things go better in these discussions when you play the ball rather than the man.

I know a whole raft of people who can use the net but aren't confident buying things on it, especially for more specialist items. I have had friends and family approach me to help them navigate watch purchases online because they are not confident. I'm sure other's here know many such people also.


We all say silly things especially when drinking. I don't believe it's besmirching anybody to point out silly statements. I just admitted I did so no one is playing above the other.
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby foghorn » July 3rd 2017, 6:44pm

This whole fucking thread has become silly. Even to an average Joe like me. And ,yes, I'm drinking. Drinking myself silly. But don't imply that I am silly or I will smite you with multiple quotes until you also start drinking and say something in kind and start the vicious cycle again , ad nauseum until Cecil comes back to life as a shark and eats an Ausssie diver and then we'll all feel bad. For a while.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 15249
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby Racer-X » July 3rd 2017, 6:54pm

bedlam wrote:...I have had friends and family approach me to help them navigate watch purchases online because they are not confident. I'm sure other's here know many such people also.


Yup, they know what they like but are not sure where to start or what is a good value. They'd rather just have me find a few options and get it for them.
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Great Watches for Under $500

Postby biglove » July 3rd 2017, 9:36pm

bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote: :) ;) It's not like I'm angry, just replying in-kind. Look forward to fun times

They are bristling at your tone. It's very explanatory, or what my wife would call 'mansplaining'.

Some Lords criticised the article because the assumption implicit in it is that an average Joe could walk into a jeweller or retail outlet and expect to pick the watches listed up for under $500. Obviously they can't, and that was being pointed out.

Telling the Lords that MSRP's are inflated and grey market prices are lower is pretty condescending and completely missed the point.


As I said, it was a bad call on my part. Possibly due to too much drinking last night.

I disagree on your point about average Joe walking into jeweler and ask for a watch of a specific model. I've asked brand boutique stores if they had Xxx so I could try handle it first and most of the time the answer had been no. Most average Joe's probably go on Google.

Due to the above reason I thought his post was silly so I replied in kind. I stand by my assertion that his and your assertion about the average Joe walking into jeweler scenario is silly. If that Joe read articles on the internet, he knows how to use internet

So now you are telling me my stuff is silly? In general I believe things go better in these discussions when you play the ball rather than the man.

I know a whole raft of people who can use the net but aren't confident buying things on it, especially for more specialist items. I have had friends and family approach me to help them navigate watch purchases online because they are not confident. I'm sure other's here know many such people also.


Yep. People far smarter than me and who make much more money than I do come to me about watches. When I was into aquaria, they came to me about that. Before those it was craft beer fifteen+ years ago. Is my OCD, I go big in anything I do.

Hell, I have researched the hell out of pooper scoopers, fkyswatters and damn near everything else I buy. Is an obsession.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10193
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South


Return to Affordable Watches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests