Glycine's Evine Debut

watches we all can afford

Re: Glycine's Evine Debut

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 8:52am

eddiea wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:Some of the older Glycine models are under 300 on Joma now. Stock up before they get discontinued haha

There is however a bit of an issue with that thought, named "service after purchased" both warranty and regular service, pretty much worthless under Invicta , that and the association with Lalo's shitty brand, devaluates Glycine old stock as well by default....

Warranties and service pretty much flies out of the window when it comes to buying from grey market like Joma. It's the risk one takes when you spend $400 on a $1400 watch. AFAIK even reputable watch companies would not fix watches for people who bought from Joma and not an AD
PiningforElgin

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 9:36am

PiningforElgin wrote:
Warranties and service pretty much flies out of the window when it comes to buying from grey market like Joma. AFAIK even reputable watch companies would not fix watches for people who bought from Joma and not an AD

Sooo, explain what personal experience you have with those ^ statements.

Or is your "AFAIK" simply stating you guess to be the case?

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 9:40am

codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
Warranties and service pretty much flies out of the window when it comes to buying from grey market like Joma. AFAIK even reputable watch companies would not fix watches for people who bought from Joma and not an AD

Sooo, explain what personal experience you have with those ^ statements.

Or is your "AFAIK" simply stating you guess to be the case?

If I am incorrect, please provide correct information and I will be first to admit error.

But is it not true that most watch companies require proof of purchase from an AD to honor manufacturer warranty? Grey market is grey for a reason
PiningforElgin

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 9:50am

PiningforElgin wrote:
If I am incorrect, But is it not true

So no personal experience........ could have simply stated that.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » July 3rd 2017, 9:53am

PiningforElgin wrote:Some of the older Glycine models are under 300 on Joma now. Stock up before they get discontinued haha

Seriously though I'm optimistic cautiously about this. Fossil owns Zodiac now and see how they've made the brand better with more automatic pieces. Swatch, a company that made money from shit tons of plastic quartz toy watches for kids, owns... Breguet. Glycine will be fine

No, no it won't, if one goes by the history of IWG and what happens to the brands it acquires. Invicta buys a brand, drags it down, trades on its previous history, sucks the life out of it, and leaves it for dead.

Indeed, Invicta is such a laughingstock of the various watch fora that their purchase of Glycine was universally parodied, denounced, etc. Just about anybody who doesn't eat fish sammiches and wears a 55 inch belt knows this. A simple look around many topics here and at other fora would have revealed this to you.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » July 3rd 2017, 10:07am

PiningforElgin wrote:
eddiea wrote:

There is however a bit of an issue with that thought, named "service after purchased" both warranty and regular service, pretty much worthless under Invicta , that and the association with Lalo's shitty brand, devaluates Glycine old stock as well by default....

Warranties and service pretty much flies out of the window when it comes to buying from grey market like Joma. It's the risk one takes when you spend $400 on a $1400 watch. AFAIK even reputable watch companies would not fix watches for people who bought from Joma and not an AD

Not my experience dude, in the low end I have sent for non warranty service couple Hamiltons and a Citizen all bought gray at Jomashop over the years (one very recently) to my local Swatch Service Center here in Miami and Citizen Torrance Service Center and no one ever asked me where I bought my watches, as a side note the Citizen had a bad capacitor that was replaced at no cost to me ...
As a far as "grey" goes? depends on your definition of what is "grey", bought a few t Rolexs over the last 10 years or so, all "grey" all bought from a non AD 3rd party through a foreign AD with huge discounts and full warranty (one service under warranty by Rolex) no issues ...
Last edited by eddiea on July 3rd 2017, 10:24am, edited 4 times in total.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 10:08am

codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
If I am incorrect, please provide correct information and I will be first to admit error.

And you could've answered the man's question, cods, rather than dodging it. Afraid of a little non-confrontational discussion with the man, tough guy? Or are you too-cool-for-school to talk reasonably to noobs?

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 10:22am

eddiea wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
eddiea wrote:

Not my experience dude, in the low end I have sent for non warranty service couple Hamiltons and a Citizen all bought gray at Jomashop over the years (one very recently) to my local Swatch Service Center here in Miami and Citizen Torrance Service Center and no one ever asked me where I bought my watches, as a side note the Citizen had a bad capacitor that was replaced at no cost to me ...

This is good news. Thank you and I stand corrected on it. I used to be a lurker on WUS fora and they kept warning about nonexistent warranties of grey market and I believed them at that time
PiningforElgin

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 10:30am

codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
If I am incorrect, But is it not true

I'm not as terse as you, maybe it's my personality. I have my style and you have yours. Again if anything I said is incorrect, I will be first to admit error. If that's not enough I don't know what is. Cheers
PiningforElgin

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 10:50am

Mortuus wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

And you could've answered the man's question, cods, rather than dodging it. Afraid of a little non-confrontational discussion with the man, tough guy? Or are you too-cool-for-school to talk reasonably to noobs?

Too afraid? Ahahahahahahaha

I was wanting to see if the newb was simply rehashing shit he read or perhaps had actual experience sending grey wartches to factory centers. My personal experience with grey watches is different than what he espoused.

Mort- If you find my replies to be a-bit too abrasive, perhaps you should simply log back into WatchinTyme (or WATCHFORUMS.ORG if that place still exists) for a little serenity cleansing.
Last I looked, this pool still has a deep end. The wading pool is over there.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 11:07am

codguy wrote:
Mortuus wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

I was wanting to see if the newb was simply rehashing shit he read or perhaps had actual experience sending grey wartches to factory centers. My personal experience with grey watches is different than what he espoused.

Mort- If you find my replies to be a-bit too abrasive, perhaps you should simply log back into WatchinTyme (or WATCHFORUMS.ORG if that place still exists) for a little serenity cleansing.

No problemo - yep I lurked around on WUS sometimes when making my past purchase decisions and that's what I heard from WUS crowd at the time

I'm not too familiar with Watchintyme. Similar to WUS?

I came here instead of talking on WUS because too many censored and locked threads there. So it's not like I'm going to be mad at anyone for saying strong things!!
PiningforElgin

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 11:11am

PiningforElgin wrote:I'm not too familiar with Watchintyme. Similar to WUS?

Identical in a different kind of way (and both are lame).

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 11:31am

eddia wrote:As a far as "grey" goes? depends on your definition of what is "grey", bought a few t Rolexs over the last 10 years or so, all "grey" all bought from a non AD 3rd party through a foreign AD with huge discounts and full warranty (one service under warranty by Rolex) no issues ...

That's certainly no surprise that Rollie would do this, as this is a sine qua non of true customer service. I think other high-end companies, like Audemars, Blancpain, Chopard, Ulysse Nardin, IWC Schaffhausen, Omega, etc., must certainly do this, as well. And I would hope that favorites of mine like Fortis, Hamilton, Seiko and Citizen would, as well, but I have no direct knowledge of this, as all of their watches have been of excellent quality and not needed any warranty service.

My personal idea of "grey market" sellers are "wholetailors" (yep, another Mort-invented word :roll:) like Costco and Sam's Club, and they sell pretty much everything, from Invicta to Cartier, but I'd be far more comfortable with the idea that a Cartier or a Blancpain would be the more likely to honor warranties than an Invicta, Stuhrling or Deep Blue. (Hell, Invicta voids your warranty if you open the case to change out a battery, for cripes' sake.) But given their largely appalling CS, this comes as no surprise. Then again, all of my Invicta pro- and grand divers have performed excellently, so CS and warranty issues have been moot in my case.

Have you had any warranty experience with the more middle-of-the-road companies, like Hammy, Seiko, etc., edds? Again, because they're excellent companies, I'd assume that they would honor warranties in the case of 3rd- (and perhaps 4th- or 5th-?) party buyers, assuming the original receipts and paperwork were dutifully retained by each owner in the chain of possession, and, of course, the warranty was still in effect. But I can't say for sure, as I've been very lucky in each case. 8-) (And, being the superstitious Jewish/Catholic person that I am, I probably shouldn't have said that... :???: )

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » July 3rd 2017, 11:34am

Pre Invicta Glycines like the ones at Joma will be fine and I think most WIS are savvy enough not to confuse the 2 companies.
Aside from us "collectors" nobody ever heard of Glycine or gives a shit anyways. It's when Invicta starts influencing design and build quality that we should shy away.
As for grey market warranty stuff, I have had to use the service so rarely that it matters little to me as I make most "major" buys at AD's. If worse comes to worse I'll shell out a few bucks to have my local guy tweak a standard movement.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 11:39am

codguy wrote:
Mortuus wrote:
codguy wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

Funny, that's what I was about to suggest to you, cods...you certainly won't find any red or green text over there to whine bemoan cry complain about. Tough guy. ;)

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 11:52am

foghorn wrote:Pre Invicta Glycines like the ones at Joma will be fine and I think most WIS are savvy enough not to confuse the 2 companies.
Aside from us "collectors" nobody ever heard of Glycine or gives a shit anyways. It's when Invicta starts influencing design and build quality that we should shy away.
As for grey market warranty stuff, I have had to use the service so rarely that it matters little to me as I make most "major" buys at AD's. If worse comes to worse I'll shell out a few bucks to have my local guy tweak a standard movement.

+1 and
Image Image Image Image !!
8-)

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 12:04pm

Mortuus wrote:Have you had any warranty experience with the more middle-of-the-road companies, like Hammy, Seiko, etc., edds?

eddiea wrote:Not my experience dude, in the low end I have sent for non warranty service couple Hamiltons and a Citizen all bought gray at Jomashop over the years (one very recently) to my local Swatch Service Center here in Miami and Citizen Torrance Service Center and no one ever asked me where I bought my watches, as a side note the Citizen had a bad capacitor that was replaced at no cost to me ...

Sorry, edds; didn't see your answer above. Disregard my last. (OBTW, I was a Torrance cop for two years, way back when Conjurer was still in his fifties...albeit late fifties... :D )

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 3rd 2017, 12:09pm

codguy wrote:

Watchforums.net does indeed still exist and will continue to until BDWF and it merge or until someone decides they would like to take it over and run it themselves. http://www.watchforums.net/forum/index. ... 5cbdb91773

It takes a lot of work to make a forum run and I do not have the time to run two of them nor do I want to. That forum was started because many could deal with the direct talk of this place. That site was designed to be the kinder, gentler WL forum.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 12:53pm

koimaster wrote:Watchforums.net does indeed still exist and will continue to until BDWF and it merge or until someone decides they would like to take it over and run it themselves. http://www.watchforums.net/forum/index. ... 5cbdb91773

It takes a lot of work to make a forum run and I do not have the time to run two of them nor do I want to. That forum was started because many could not deal with the direct talk of this place. That site was designed to be the kinder, gentler WL forum.

Coddy knows it's still there; he's just trying to burnish his extreme disdain for the site by claiming he knows nothing about it -- sort of like a virtual "Gallic shrug" without the French charm or authenticity. ;)

As an aside, we've actually been looking at the feasibility of making WF into a primarily vintage watch forum, as many of us over there are vintage collectors, in addition to the modern watches we still occasionally buy...and Conjurer is, of course, a vintage person, so his posts there are always read with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, all of us appear to be computer rocks, so it's been tough sledding when it comes to figuring out how to make modifications to a website...

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » July 3rd 2017, 1:03pm

TemerityB wrote:
abduksion wrote:I give them 6 no 4 months before we start seeing them disappear.

I don't know if I agree. The Big I keeps hawking their faux luxury brand S.Coifman that even WITs don't give a rat's ass about, as well as the ghost of Technomarine. Tax write offs if any of the side projects go into the crapper. Until then they can sell Glycine on TV and in their cheesebox stores.

I was near the Times Squre Invicter store a few weeks ago and saw Glycine though the window. I don't even have a dog in this hunt, yet I threw up in my mouth a little.

I saw a Technomarine this past weekend at TJ Maxx I didn't ask to see it but I'm sure it was overpriced.
As for S.Coifman I agree with you there haven't seen any pics on WIt or anything on Bovine seems like their like
that other so called brand Poteri Petrie or whatever the fuck it was called. As for Glycine as I mentioned before
I just don't see the Witless hawking over the cash for a non Nvicter models.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby 3Flushes » July 3rd 2017, 1:20pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
eddiea wrote:

Many watches sold grey, as Eddie noted, are inventory buyouts from foreign or former AD's by non-AD entities. However, with the sheer numbers of grey pieces available, it would seem that they couldn't proliferate to the extent they do, discounted to the low prices they are sold for, without manufacturers liquidating to non-AD sellers directly for below AD cost. In the bargain, much of the revenue difference gets made up to the manufacturer by alleviating themselves of the liability for warranty service costs.

The comparison of Invicta service to the service for watches made by legit manufacturers purchased on the grey market is non sequitur regardless of the availability of in and out of warranty factory service for grey watches; Invicta craps out on service in general, including their warranty service for watches purchased from authorized sources.
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 3rd 2017, 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » July 3rd 2017, 1:32pm

Buy local fellahs. I find it best to stay away from the ghey markets all together. As for watchforums.net that's my happy place away from this mosh pit I call home. Just watches and warm, fuzzy feelings.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 3rd 2017, 2:02pm

X
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 3rd 2017, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 3rd 2017, 2:06pm

Mortuus wrote:
koimaster wrote:Watchforums.net does indeed still exist and will continue to until BDWF and it merge or until someone decides they would like to take it over and run it themselves. http://www.watchforums.net/forum/index. ... 5cbdb91773

It takes a lot of work to make a forum run and I do not have the time to run two of them nor do I want to. That forum was started because many could not deal with the direct talk of this place. That site was designed to be the kinder, gentler WL forum.

Coddy knows it's still there; he's just trying to burnish his extreme disdain for the site by claiming he knows nothing about it -- sort of like a virtual "Gallic shrug" without the French charm or authenticity. ;)

As an aside, we've actually been looking at the feasibility of making WF into a primarily vintage watch forum, as many of us over there are vintage collectors, in addition to the modern watches we still occasionally buy...and Conjurer is, of course, a vintage person, so his posts there are always read with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, all of us appear to be computer rocks, so it's been tough sledding when it comes to figuring out how to make modifications to a website...

If one of you degenerate wants to take over the place let me know. If you need help to make changes there I am glad to help. WL will never be warm and fuzzy so as Artman said, WF.net is the warm sweet spot for some.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby 3Flushes » July 3rd 2017, 2:10pm

artman wrote:Buy local fellahs. I find it best to stay away from the ghey markets all together.

Good advice if you can resist the grey and afford the AD's price.

artman wrote:...this mosh pit I call home...

Best description of this joint ever.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

PreviousNext

Return to Affordable Watches