Grovana & Zeno watches- Still relevent today as brands

watches we all can afford

Grovana & Zeno watches- Still relevent today as brands

Postby koimaster » February 9th 2017, 12:57am

I never see them any more although the masthead is graced by a Zeno.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Grovana & Zeno watches- Still relevent today as brands

Postby Bahoomba » February 9th 2017, 9:36am

I've never seen a Grovana watch, even here in NYC. Zeno is decent quality, particularly at its price point at the low end. I've noticed that LI Watch doesn't carry them any more, so I have no idea who sells them (a stray one or two does end up on Amazon from time to time). I have a quartz model and it's been rock solid.

“From now on, let's see if you can possibly avoid playing kowtow to your whimsey.”
- Mr. Monahan, The Honeymooners
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » February 9th 2017, 9:38am

Bahoomba wrote:I've never seen a Grovana watch, even here in NYC. Zeno is decent quality, particularly at its price point at the low end. I've noticed that LI Watch doesn't carry them any more, so I have no idea who sells them (a stray one or two does end up on Amazon from time to time). I have a quartz model and it's been rock solid.

Time-factors still has them I think.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 9th 2017, 9:59am

I do hear of Zeno every now and then, but haven't heard about Grovana for a long time. Though I don't think Grovana was anyhow relevant ever since it was founded.
I've looked up Grovana's website, they seem to pose as a company bigger than they really are... They claim to have been producing movements back when they were called Groeflin- however, I haven't seen a single Groeflin movement, and the Ranfft archive doesn't list any of these either. The only vintage Groeflin I've seen was in a WUS thread- it was a PW with a movement by Alpina, which is rather odd for a company supposedly making movements of their own.
It appears that they have some ties with Revue Thommen, and for a while used to make a "refreshed" GT82 for them.
Looks like they've bought the rights to the Election trademark, but I seriously doubt that they'll succeed with relaunching Election, let alone make it any close to what Election used to be.

It does look like they never went bankrupt, because during the quartz crisis they did switch to quartz watches- but their marketing seems to be the sort of thing that some "zombie" brands try to pull off in order to convince the potential buyer, that they have anything to do with the original company. By Jove, they don't even seem to be investing in a good website... The watches themselves don't scream "quality" either.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » February 9th 2017, 10:06am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I do hear of Zeno every now and then, but haven't heard about Grovana for a long time. Though I don't think Grovana was anyhow relevant ever since it was founded.
I've looked up Grovana's website, they seem to pose as a company bigger than they really are... They claim to have been producing movements back when they were called Groeflin- however, I haven't seen a single Groeflin movement, and the Ranfft archive doesn't list any of these either. The only vintage Groeflin I've seen was in a WUS thread- it was a PW with a movement by Alpina, which is rather odd for a company supposedly making movements of their own.
It appears that they have some ties with Revue Thommen, and for a while used to make a "refreshed" GT82 for them.
Looks like they've bought the rights to the Election trademark, but I seriously doubt that they'll succeed with relaunching Election, let alone make it any close to what Election used to be.

It does look like they never went bankrupt, because during the quartz crisis they did switch to quartz watches- but their marketing seems to be the sort of thing that some "zombie" brands try to pull off in order to convince the potential buyer, that they have anything to do with the original company. By Jove, they don't even seem to be investing in a good website... The watches themselves don't scream "quality" either.

Great information to know. I was dubious when I read the "history claims" they post at their site. Struck me as being the same hype companies like Inflicta, Doxa and other formerly dead brands post.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 9th 2017, 10:50am

Yep, that sort of advertising is quite easy to identify as such. The claims of a "glorious past" that a company supposedly had are fairly easy to disprove... Here, the claim of being a manufacture with its own movements was simply too much- if they were at least half as important as they claim, I just don't believe there wouldn't be any mention of them in the Ranfft archive and other resources. All that I found for Groeflin/Grovana was one WUS thread, one 1960s watch in Google Images, and in Mikrolisk- one trademark registered in 1961.
Dunno how about their claims of expanding their factory at least twice- it could well mean, that they have built two more sheds on their property.

What I think they were, is one of numerous small companies making run-of-the-mill watches with largely unmodified ETA or AS generic movements until the quartz crisis, when they either went completely broke, and were instantly sold to a new ownership, which changed their scope to quartz only, or were rebooted only a decade or two ago. No idea... I wish I had access to better trademark records (Mikrolisk is the best one I know).

Some of these "zombies", like for example Edox, seem to be more than decent, and some- like Invicta or some other "fast food horology"- are completely rubbish. Guess that depends on the owners' approach- trying to live off of the claims of the "glorious past", and produce complete and utter shite, or trying to build something new and exciting, and living up to the standard set by the original brand's past.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » February 9th 2017, 1:18pm

Have seen Grovana pop up with quartz offerings several times recently on either Touch of Modern or Massdrop sites.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » February 9th 2017, 1:48pm

Zeno's website, it seems, touts new models as well as their participation at this year's Baselword, so their almost invisible retail presence in the US market is the big factor for their slight brand recognition, I'd reckon.

http://www.zeno-watch.ch/
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Affordable Watches