Alexander: More "Luxury" From Brooklyn

watches we all can afford

Alexander: More "Luxury" From Brooklyn

Postby TemerityB » January 30th 2017, 5:57pm

Since the glory days of TV watch huckstering - which, in reality, lasted about six months until everyone but pacerguy and the other fapping gibbons at WIT realized they bought a watch or two that were total POS - I'd figured out that Stuhrling Original was Akribos, and Akribos was Stuhrling Original. I had seen both of them at places like TJ Maxx and the boxes were practically identical. Around 2005, I think, I bought two SOs watchs, both of which, I kid you not, literally disintegrated as they sat in a watch box. Live and learn, fair enough; I didn't spend as much as a decent meal at Rue 57 on the both of 'em.

It was right about the time that Frizzy Head McGee was no longer being seen on a home shopping network that SO came out with a "high end brand" called Stuhrling Prestige, all of which claimed to be "Swiss made," and a couple came with sapphire crystals, but most with their super-duper "proprietary" Krysterna ones, which the tousled one claimed was much more shatter-resistant than sapphire, a special claim since most people suffer scratched crystals, not smashed ones, but hey, that's home shopping, and they gots families to feed.

So the other day I'm trowling around Amazon when in a bar that comes up that says something like "you might also enjoy" comes a brand called Alexander. Amazon has a bunch of them, and they're not cheap, selling from around $250 to upwards of $1,200; many come with ETA movements it seems, including "modified" Valjouxs. So I looks at the specs on a few of the watches, they're water resistant, "classic" styling, genuine leather, yada, yada...and Krysterna crystals.

Uh oh.

Sure enough - Alexander is a brand that shares the same address as SO and Akribos, so those Brooklyn "watchmakers" have a third brand, too. If you read the Amazon review, people are on to them as well; people question whether they're "Swiss made," and lots of reviews calling this brand, among other things, "suspicious."

And what prestige! From the brand's website:

ALEXANDER STORY
Alexander was the pupil of the storied Greek philosopher Aristotle. He was intelligent, quick to learn and extremely well read. His personality defined charisma, and his obsession with success allowed him to conquer most of the known world at the time. He left a significant legacy beyond his conquests as he founded some twenty cities that bore his name.

Under his rule, Greek language and culture spread from West to East as the former Persian Empire fell to his armies. Alexander became an icon, against which all future military leaders would aspire to be measured. Even today, military academies throughout the world still teach his strategies and tactics.

DAWN OF A BRAND
It is against the backdrop of the historical Alexander the Great, his achievements and strength of character, that the Alexander watch brand was born.

Alexander timepieces exude character, resiliency, and enduring magnetism, much like their namesake. Supreme confidence surrounds the wearer as these timepieces accompany him on his daily journeys. When donning an Alexander timepiece, it is not if, but when.

These timepieces incorporate the best in watchmaking heritage with modern day technology and contemporary aesthetic sensibilities. They stay true to tradition, yet are fitted with an added dimension of prevailing design and chic personality. Constructed with a signature demeanor, they are a bold statement in the world of wristwatch fashion.

Alexander manufactures its luxury wristwatches in Biel, Switzerland. The ancient town of Biel/Bienne, the metropolis of Swiss watchmaking, lies at the eastern end of Lake Biel, at the foot of the Jura in the delightful Lake Region of Switzerland in the canton of Bern. It is here where the Swiss craft of watchmaking is still fostered and advanced.

VALUES
The Alexander blueprint stresses quality workmanship and contemporary aesthetics. We take pride in our ongoing quest to continuously design, develop, manufacture and assemble exquisite timepieces. Our watches are Swiss made with the best materials available. We are committed to innovation and continuous evolution. Alexander is not merely a brand; it is an ambition to achieve.

Krysterna crystals, eh? Brooklyn, you say? I'm going to repost one of those photos on the "Swiss versus US-Swiss" thread that koi started, I'm gonna let the FH sort it all out. I'd bet the ranch they kinda go "uh oh" the same way I did.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Alexander: More "Luxury" From Brooklyn

Postby foghorn » January 30th 2017, 6:11pm

Good sleuthing TB!!!

Alexander the "not so" great!!

I'm wearing a 230.00 Dan Henry that blows any "Alexander" out of the water. And you won't find any BS marketing on the site. Just the facts.
It can be done yet so many try to pull a con rather than just be honest(OK maybe a little embellishment-but no con job)

http://wornandwound.com/introducing-dan ... w-vintage/

https://danhenrywatch.com/
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » January 30th 2017, 6:16pm

foghorn wrote:
I'm wearing a 230.00 Dan Henry that blows any "Alexander" out of the water.

O noble rooster, I'm with ya 100 percent on that one. At least the Henrys are tasteful and don't pretend to be anything they're not.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » January 30th 2017, 8:33pm

Here's a really well-written, one-star review from Amazon, really knowledgeable, complaining about a Alexander "Statesman Chieftain" that sells for $629, which a list price of $1799:

Save some money for a real brand watch.
By MrGadgeton May 4, 2016

The description on Amazon: "and are compared to the finest luxury high end brands like Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega and Tissot."

Alexander is a "mushroom" brand and the watch is not comparable with one from a real manufacturer. The list price does not have anything to do with the value of this watch, it is just marketing. A friend showed me this exact watch before he returned it. He thought it looked nice online but you don't need to be a watch geek to see it is not even a bad replica, it just looks cheap. A brand watch is highly accurate, keeps his value and has a long warranty. Buying this is just a waste of money and you are making a fool of yourself wearing it.

The company history is laughable:
[...]

You can find watches with exactly the same cookie-cutter movement made in Thailand under $80, just search for Ronda calibre 5040.F.

More information about the term Mushroom brands:
A "mushroom brand" is a brand of watch that seems to pop up out of nowhere and, before you know it, is all over the place. A few hallmarks of 'roomers include, but are not limited to:

* Often marketed by the same company resulting in very similar websites.
* Mostly only sold online.
* Build in Switzerland using lower quality Chinese movements or cheap Swiss movements.
* Exorbitantly high retail prices($2,500) with ridiculously low selling prices ($100).
* A long and lavish story about how the company has been around since the early 1800s.
* Frequent use of "open heart" dials and other useless decorations.

Some mushroom brands include Stuhrling, Alexander, Louis Bolle, S.U.G., Bernoulli, Deporte, Rousseau, Romilly, and Breitner.

I'd wager that sums up this "quality" brand from the good people in Brooklyn (well, sort of).

https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-States ... AAlexander
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » January 30th 2017, 9:49pm

Nice catch of yet another crappy brand claiming to be something it isn't. Hope the Swiss dismantle the lot of these posers.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » January 31st 2017, 12:04am

And when Alexander saw the breadth of his empire, he wept, for there were no more simps to scam.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » January 31st 2017, 1:13am

conjurer wrote:And when Alexander saw the breadth of his empire, he wept, for there were no more simps to scam.

:D

Good find TB! :fdfd:
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby hcharles » January 31st 2017, 6:37am

Great detective work, Temerity. Thanks for pointing out another fake Swiss watch. The ad copy has Bovine like writing styles.

Foghorn liking the looks of those Dan Henry's.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Bahoomba » January 31st 2017, 1:37pm

foghorn wrote:Good sleuthing TB!!!

Alexander the "not so" great!!

I'm wearing a 230.00 Dan Henry that blows any "Alexander" out of the water. And you won't find any BS marketing on the site. Just the facts.
It can be done yet so many try to pull a con rather than just be honest(OK maybe a little embellishment-but no con job)

http://wornandwound.com/introducing-dan ... w-vintage/

https://danhenrywatch.com/

Did your watch come in that roll? I have to admit - I really like the roll!
“From now on, let's see if you can possibly avoid playing kowtow to your whimsey.”
- Mr. Monahan, The Honeymooners
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » January 31st 2017, 1:47pm

You betcha!!!

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby itfc1959 » January 31st 2017, 4:43pm

Arghhhh
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » February 20th 2017, 3:52pm

Wow. The hits just keep coming from the good folks at Stuhrling Original. A few weeks back, we discovered their "Swiss made" brand Alexander.

Now, this. I've noticed (not that I had any interest before this) a MK wannabe fashion brand called SO & CO New York. Issues a bunch of both men's and women's clunky sub-department store quality quartz stuff. Listed at Amazon, JC Penny, Bovine, etc.

As Woody Woodpecker used to ask: "Guess who?" From Linkedin:

One thing wanes, just cop someone else's action once someone else thought of it. I guess we now know who the "SO" in SO & CO is.

Not that we need to. However, given SO's quality? If there's someone in your life pondering a SO & CO watch, think back to something like, well, SO, and inform them accordingly.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Affordable Watches