How Bad Could It Be: My FU To DW

watches we all can afford

How Bad Could It Be: My FU To DW

Postby TemerityB » January 17th 2017, 9:00pm

Reader beware: What follows is my own personal conjecture about a certain style of watch. It is NOT meant to besmirch any watch in anyone else's collection; it is simply one man's opinion about a watch trend. If you own and/or like any of the watches I'm about to gripe about, please don't take it personally; last thing I want is to offend anyone's tastes or sensibilities, as I inadvertently did in my year-end recap. It's really true - buy what you like and enjoy what you buy. Now that I've made that statement...

If there's one thing I really don't like it's hipster douchebags with their Mumford & Sons scraggly beards, bow ties, "walking canes," piercings, tats, and whatever is in vogue that day. I don't like how the word "word" now is suddenly a phrase that means "I agree." Most of all, of course, I can't stomach the Daniel Wellington trend of "Bauhaus" thin, simple watches, minimalist - and it's not really the watches themselves I'm upset about.

Ever check out one of these things? In addition to DW, there are brands with names like Cluse, Shore, Larsson & Jennings, MVMT (pronounced "movement," how clever, eh?), and on the list goes, all trying to look exactly like each other. A lot of marketing, scads of it, for all these brands. Over the weekend, I checked them all out - these flimsy quartz driven simple watches that feel like you could crush them between thumb and forefinger ... and these fucking things sell for $100, $200, even more than $300. Seriously. And people are paying those prices too, at places like Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and other ritzy titzy department stores. WTF!

Above are a couple of incredibly cheesy MVMT watches selling for a crazed $112 each at Nordstrom this past weekend. I checked those out, the DW section, all those other brands I mentioned. I don't get it - these things, in any real terms, seem to be $25 watches at best. To see these things retailing for $250 each - all made in China, no doubt - is every bit as insane as SubAqua Fauxmas with MSRPs of $2,995.

So the other day, I discover a brand called Besseron 1953. I'd wager conjurer knows the first bell that went off in my twisted brain: A watch named after Joe Besser! Not really; it's a Chinese brand that make watches for anyone who wants to start a Chinese brand, as well as selling watches under that moniker. From their website:

Yep - these things really look and feel like the stuff I tried on this past weekend. No difference that I can find - slimline cases, simple dials, very light and "trendy." So, throwing caution - and a grand sum of $9.99 - to the wind, I ordered my own Besseron 1953 men's watch. First off, I appreciated the truth in packaging:

Second, I was amazed at what I actually received - an actual watch box with pillow, mummy wrap, an instruction manual, all the things you'd get if you were actually buying a watch. Other Chinese brands I've picked up came in generic boxes, if not envelopes.

The watch is just 8 mm in thickness, with a 40mm case that claims to be 316L stainless steel.

Tell you what: This Besseron watch is utterly the same freaking thing that people are paying so much for. Sure, it's not an heirloom piece, but in my own silly way, it's a giant fuck you to the DWs of the world, which to me are the biggest ripoff since Lawler LaDingo discovered that people will believe anything you tell them.

This is a simple watch that seems to run just fine. The leather strap is actually more supple and more comfortable than the one on the Lucien Piccard I reviewed last week. The company claims the movement is Japanese quartz. I'll be dipped if I don't feel like the cat that ate the canary.

Fuck you DW - gimme my Besseron 1953. I'd bet nobody who'd see this on my wrist could tell the difference between this and those department store brands .. and I'm telling you, there isn't any.
Last edited by TemerityB on January 18th 2017, 6:49am, edited 2 times in total.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: How Bad Could It Be: My FU To DW

Postby artman » January 17th 2017, 9:58pm

You know for 10 bucks you can't even buy the DW nato-like strap. Nice pickup despite the smallish price point. Thanks for the review.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » January 17th 2017, 10:02pm

Pretty nice for 10 bucks, makes the Rodina seem expensive.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 17th 2017, 10:11pm

Goddamn it, T--you've done the whole "HBCIB?" series proud with this one.

When I started writing these things, a few years back (they're still up at WUS, some with a surprising number of hits), I limited myself to reviewing cheap automatic watches that sold for around $100. Not surprising were the watches that were utter shit--you can guess the names on the dials. Also unsurprising were the watches that were actually worth the hundred bucks, namely the Japanese brands like Orient and Seiko, but also a Chinese brand that made a fairly serviceable Rollie Sub homage. Lately I did a HBCIB? review at WUS of the NTH whateverthefuck it's called, which started a pretty vicious war online, and even had the Hugh and Lewy founder chiming in, saying he wanted to knock my teeth out.

Many years ago, when I was a strapping young buck like Toby, I knew a guy who only bought cars that cost $100; he would see a listing for them in the paper, and if he could start the car and drive it around the block, he'd buy it, and that would be his car. He'd put in oil and gas but nothing else, and drive the car until it died, then he'd sell it to a junkyard for fifty bucks, and find himself another hundred dollar car. This Joe Besser watch reminds me of that--a decent, somewhat attractive watch that you can wear for however long it takes to die, and then you spend another $10.

A fine review, entertaining and informative. Thanks!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » January 17th 2017, 11:06pm

conjurer wrote:Goddamn it, T--you've done the whole "HBCIB?" series proud with this one.

When I started writing these things, a few years back (they're still up at WUS, some with a surprising number of hits), I limited myself to reviewing cheap automatic watches that sold for around $100. Not surprising were the watches that were utter shit--you can guess the names on the dials. Also unsurprising were the watches that were actually worth the hundred bucks, namely the Japanese brands like Orient and Seiko, but also a Chinese brand that made a fairly serviceable Rollie Sub homage. Lately I did a HBCIB? review at WUS of the NTH whateverthefuck it's called, which started a pretty vicious war online, and even had the Hugh and Lewy founder chiming in, saying he wanted to knock my teeth out.

Many years ago, when I was a strapping young buck like Toby, I knew a guy who only bought cars that cost $100; he would see a listing for them in the paper, and if he could start the car and drive it around the block, he'd buy it, and that would be his car. He'd put in oil and gas but nothing else, and drive the car until it died, then he'd sell it to a junkyard for fifty bucks, and find himself another hundred dollar car. This Joe Besser watch reminds me of that--a decent, somewhat attractive watch that you can wear for however long it takes to die, and then you spend another $10.

Someone called you a "bitter SOB" for your review of the NTH. And it wasn't me. For some reason they closed that thread.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 18th 2017, 6:46am

artman wrote:Someone called you a "bitter SOB" for your review of the NTH. And it wasn't me. For some reason they closed that thread.

Yet another reason to thank koimaster for this place - "the original and only uncensored watch forum." We break news, while everyone else hides from it.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Britboy » January 18th 2017, 7:40am

"If there's one thing I really don't like it's hipster douchebags with their Mumford & Sons scraggly beards, bow ties, "walking canes," piercings, tats, and whatever is in vogue that day. I don't like how the word "word" now is suddenly a phrase that means "I agree."

You are so right with the above, living here in the middle of hipsterville and whilst I have what "she" would call a scraggly beard we walk around and look in the shops that really don't stay very long and see what they charge for basically crap and stuff that would just collect dust we are amased and then wonder why so many people flock here and spend their money.

So therefore I fully understand that these high end stores can charge what they are charging and get away with it.

Thank you for the honest review and the eye opener at what you can get if look around.
The $10 entry fee into that field was well spent Sir.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 18th 2017, 8:56am

Here's some stuff that's out there that's similar:

Larsson & Jennings; this is $445:

Brathwait, popular at WUS because, well, they advertise at WUS, and they do whatever they're told; $279:

MVMT (I swear, up close these things look like should be sold in plastic eggs in vending machines), $95:

Actually, after posting these, I still think the best comparison is the watch on the website for Besserson with the gold and the MVMT right above it; you tell me the difference. T'aint none.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » January 18th 2017, 10:08am

That Besseron is appealing, very nice handset and dial layout. The case, if genuine s/steel, is very nicely done too. A genuinely cool watch.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby BigCheez » January 18th 2017, 11:16am

Nice review. While I understand your frustrations with the inherent ripoff, at least all of these watches are at least moderately tasteful.

Where I live, it's a constant barrage of ginormous Invictas and similar ilk. The 1% have a Rolex and the 99% have some hulking, 55+mm stupid monstrosity with skulls, spiders or some such.

A guy with an overpriced bauhaus would be a breath of fresh air.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » January 18th 2017, 11:35am

I would call that $10 well spent. My boss subscribes to the disposable watch model. She buys $7-$30 watches and wears them until they die. Sometimes it is a year, sometimes three.

I have seen fake DW watches on the Chinese version of eBay for $3 and they don't look different from the original, unlike fake high end watches. Am guessing they may well be from the same factory.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby itfc1959 » January 18th 2017, 1:51pm

Nice review.

Where can I buy one?
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » January 18th 2017, 2:28pm

itfc1959 wrote: Where can I buy one?

Here is a link you can try....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Besseron+watches

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 18th 2017, 3:19pm

Word
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby jason_recliner » January 18th 2017, 3:40pm

artman wrote:
conjurer wrote:Goddamn it, T--you've done the whole "HBCIB?" series proud with this one.

Someone called you a "bitter SOB" for your review of the NTH. And it wasn't me. For some reason they closed that thread.

Haha!

Cool - er - review?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » January 18th 2017, 6:17pm

Like it, nothing wrong with that.... considering I spent that much this morning on a couple Grande Caffè Mochas at Starbucks , a bargain!
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » January 18th 2017, 6:30pm

itfc1959 wrote:Nice review.

Where can I buy one?

$12.99 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BESSERON-White-Cowhide-Leather-Fathers/dp/B01L3PJ2LS
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby itfc1959 » January 19th 2017, 12:00pm

Cheers, dude. It'll be more than that to ship it to the UK, and then there'll be import duty..,,I checked Amazon UK and it's about 30 squid. Fuck then, a tenner to check it out and probably pass it on? Hell, yes. Any more than that, forget it.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » January 19th 2017, 7:46pm

itfc1959 wrote:Cheers, dude. It'll be more than that to ship it to the UK, and then there'll be import duty..,,I checked Amazon UK and it's about 30 squid. Fuck then, a tenner to check it out and probably pass it on? Hell, yes. Any more than that, forget it.

There's one on Amazon UK warehouse deals for 18.47 squids
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01GX29SC4/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 16th 2017, 12:15pm

Some site actually reviewed this thing with a straight face:

https://lukedoesreviews.wordpress.com/2 ... her-strap/
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 16th 2017, 12:24pm

TemerityB wrote:Some site actually reviewed this thing with a straight face:

https://lukedoesreviews.wordpress.com/2 ... her-strap/

Some great stuff there, too:

Besseron Watch Brand was born in 1953, which was considered as the wrist watch pioneer .In 1953, Besseron was traveling in UK .He designed the BESSERON watch for the coming crowning of a new Queen with his superb technology and inspiration, combining the noble status of Queen and her connotation and minimalism.

And:

At the same time, he [Joe Besser] reshaped the clock element so as to connect it to the German “national bird” – Stork in spirit and form .Thus he made a further interpretation to the connotation of this watch, which symbolizes a Time Angel accompany every important moment with you in life .The Stork flying in a limited time, reminds people that time flows quietly.

Plus, some important info:

NOTE: You need to push the little button on the side to activate it and away it ticks first.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 16th 2017, 12:31pm

conjurer wrote:Some great stuff there, too

Still, it's more cogent than Gattshall.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 16th 2017, 12:40pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:Some great stuff there, too

Still, it's more cogent than Gattshall.

Yup. But then, Trump's more cogent than Gattshall.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 16th 2017, 12:42pm

conjurer wrote:Yup. But then, Trump's more cogent than Gattshall.

When was that? :wink:
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 16th 2017, 12:51pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:Yup. But then, Trump's more cogent than Gattshall.

When was that? :wink:

About thirty years ago. But he was probably doing a lot of blow back then.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Next

Return to Affordable Watches