Invicta broken history?

watches we all can afford

Invicta broken history?

Postby koimaster » January 4th 2017, 11:10am

My daughter who loves QVC, HSN and Urinelive :roll: was watching the gervil show the other evening. All of a sudden the inflicta rye-in shows up and they started discussing inflicta. One thing brought up was the history of the brand starting back in the 1800s and then being revived in 1991. :geek: My daughter had seen this and went back to find me to have me watch it. Sure enough they did not claim the fraudulent history of old nor did they claim the watch they were showing was Swiss but said it was made in Asia but was a reserve model. http://www.evine.com/Product/642-037

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Invicta broken history?

Postby Hawk » January 4th 2017, 11:17am

Strange. I can actually remember when the Reserve wasn't just "Swiss Made", it was once so special that only the Top Ten Percent of the best Swiss watchmakers were allowed to work on it.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » January 4th 2017, 11:32am

Hawk wrote:Strange. I can actually remember when the Reserve wasn't just "Swiss Made", it was once so special that only the Top Ten Percent of the best Swiss watchmakers were allowed to work on it.

:chump:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » January 4th 2017, 1:06pm

Yep, guys. Yet, Things haven't changed all that much though - from Flame Fusion to Russian Divers, the old playbooks still rear their heads from time to time. And to think I only tune in, say, for four minutes during a Knicks halftime or something. I can't imagine the stuff they claim during those four-hour blocks.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » January 4th 2017, 1:59pm

TemerityB wrote:Yep, guys. Yet, Things haven't changed all that much though - from Flame Fusion to Russian Divers, the old playbooks still rear their heads from time to time. And to think I only tune in, say, for four minutes during a Knicks halftime or something. I can't imagine the stuff they claim during those four-hour blocks.

I'm one of those "cord cutters" so the only way I watch is voluntarily, intentionally and with malice aforethought - which isn't very often. But you're right. In general they can't go much beyond 60 seconds without popping off with some whopper so egregious it would be protected under FTC guidelines as "puffery": a claim so outlandish no reasonable person would believe it.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » January 4th 2017, 6:09pm

Hawk wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Yep, guys. Yet, Things haven't changed all that much though - from Flame Fusion to Russian Divers, the old playbooks still rear their heads from time to time. And to think I only tune in, say, for four minutes during a Knicks halftime or something. I can't imagine the stuff they claim during those four-hour blocks.

I'm one of those "cord cutters" so the only way I watch is voluntarily, intentionally and with malice aforethought - which isn't very often. But you're right. In general they can't go much beyond 60 seconds without popping off with some whopper so egregious it would be protected under FTC guidelines as "puffery": a claim so outlandish no reasonable person would believe it.

Which leads to today's fiasco - an entire one-hour show hawking Lucien Piccard, which the ghost of the actual SWI is turning into a cheapjack brand so garish that Hermione Gingold would pass it on to her male dance team on those old Coco Goya TV ads.

The freakin' show, presented at 5 pm (which would be better served with Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse cartoons) begins with a bunch of old magazine ads showing the history of Lucien Piccard through the years - that's fine, unless you know that it was, what - four years ago, maybe? - that the WOW folk gobbled up the brand name and relaunched it with their usual "highlights" - "Sapphitek" crystals, Chinese and Japanese movements, all made in China, over-designed by one of those Barokas hacks, you know the drill. Real cheap stuff, a budget line at 60 paces. Nothing wrong with that, but this presentation, of which, again, I only had to watch the first four minutes, was so filled with over-the-top bullshit that I'm as floored as I was when I watched Jim Skelton talking about farts on live air about eight years back.

So the program begins, and you'd be hard-pressed to find more flying excrement, even at the famed moment at the circus at MSG back in '95 when a yak had presumably gotten into the cotton candy before the show.

The host was a maniacally smiling Lynne Schacher (who, I'd wager, if you tapped her head gently in just the right spot, the ghost of Lucifer would appear in a raincoat). Right off the bat, she starts in: "I'm really crazy passionate about the Lucien Piccard line ... I fell in love with this high-end luxury line." The first watch she's about to sell is $44.30. Then she rattles off all the LC watches she's picked up as gifts for people thru the years. Fine, great - what the fuck do they have to do with these watches made by the current company?

So in a few moments, Roi Mallach of SWI comes on as the brand expert, billed as "Vice President Of Sales." Of what is never mentioned; he announces you get a free "leather-look" luggage tag if you order any one of his battery-filled bevy of beauties. "So ... when you buy into Lucien Piccard, you're buying into nine decades of watch manufacturing ... This brand started in Switzerland. We took this brand, fast-forward, to where we are right now."

So is it SWI, Evine, or who? What would be the problem if Schacher came on and stated: "A couple of years back, the Lucien Piccard brand was purchased by SWI, who you might know from Swiss Legend watches (never mentioned, of course). It's now a brand virtually anyone can afford..."

Nope, instead, this cheeseball TV network wants to set up a vibe that the new LP stuff is new from a legendary company, the same one we saw in those magazine ads. Or that your dad owned or whatever. Or that the hosted gifted years back.

They all play this shell game on Bovine. We might think, given what happened in the past couple of years, that they'd tone it the fuck down. Not on your life; there's marks to be hornswaggled out there, new pacerguys waiting to spend that retirement dough. A pox on all these rancid Florida shit peddlers.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » January 4th 2017, 7:38pm

Hawk wrote:Strange. I can actually remember when the Reserve wasn't just "Swiss Made", it was once so special that only the Top Ten Percent of the best Swiss watchmakers were allowed to work on it.

True. Even I owned some. ..luckily all profitable but one... a quartz.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby hcharles » January 5th 2017, 8:28am

The show would probably be more entertaining, if the host was Jerry Springer.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Return to Affordable Watches