Repairing a Seagull Automatic “Stuhrling Original”

watches we all can afford

Repairing a Seagull Automatic “Stuhrling Original”

Postby koimaster » December 8th 2016, 12:39pm

Repairing a Chinese Seagull Automatic “Stuhrling Original” Watch: Buyer Beware

 Paul  July 31, 2016  Comments Offon Repairing a Chinese Seagull Automatic “Stuhrling Original” Watch: Buyer Beware

Just as doctors always get asked to check out your hideous rash, watchmakers always get asked to check out your broken watch. That’s why this blog is deviating from its seemingly interminable string of Illinois and Hamilton pocket watches to focus on something offbeat: a new Chinese-made automatic movement, made by Seagull, inside a Stuhrling Original wristwatch.

One of my sisters asked if I would look at a watch that belongs to one of her friends. She said “you can see gears through the glass in the back,” so I knew right away that it was my style. Her friend bought the watch recently but complained that it stopped working.

http://adjustingvintagewatches.com/repa ... ull-watch/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Repairing a Seagull Automatic “Stuhrling Original”

Postby Tzimisces » December 8th 2016, 1:25pm

Packing foam in the case, jamming the movement. This is why the movement's origin is less important than who cases it up. This is why TV watches have such s shitty reputation among enthusiasts.
That's an egregious fuck up. He even reports a small piece of foam riding the second hand.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » December 8th 2016, 4:39pm

"I can’t imagine how it escaped the attention of the factory’s quality control people."

QC? Now that is quite humorous. QC on a Sturhling Original...
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » December 9th 2016, 8:44am

Yuh, but now that "Pass me the hair gel" Larry is back, he'll soon put an end to these monkeyshines.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 9th 2016, 8:58am

Ya know...this is the big thing about these TV brands: You can't fix them. I've been yelling about these Chinese movement-packed watches for years. Dupe gets hornswaggled into dropping a grand on a TV tour-bee-on, and it dies...and that's it.

Things I know: Invicta won't fix their own products; a lot of Swiss Legend (at least their older stuff) won't last through a single battery change; and SO stuff disintegrates as it sits in a watch box. Caveat emptor.

Or in the case of WIT Nation: These are not good watches, not in the least, yet these jamokes schedule a parade every time the UPS truck pulls up.

Great post, koi. The truth always hurts. That site's a great find too, now to be bookmarked.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Affordable Watches