Foggy crystal on my G, should I worry?

Foggy crystal on my G, should I worry?

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 7:28am

It is 5* here wIth a wind chill around -15 and this is what happens to my G when I get outside.

Within 2min of getting back into the truck it goes away as seen below.

I understand that G's have a operating temp and I am probably below the low end of that scale but should worry about moisture issues over the long run?
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Re: Foggy crystal on my G, should I worry?

Postby koimaster » January 18th 2016, 7:50am

Gasket failure. Has it been opened?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 8:00am

koimaster wrote:Gasket failure. Has it been opened?

Not opened as far as know. I bought is used but a very new used like just a couple weeks old.
I will have to find a service facility then to get it repaired.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 8:01am

I wonder if the gasket is just failing because of the temperature because I have submerged the watch a few times and have never witnessed the foggy crystal.

Better to be safe than sorry though.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » January 18th 2016, 8:04am

fatman wrote:I wonder if the gasket is just failing because of the temperature because I have submerged the watch a few times and have never witnessed the foggy crystal.

Better to be safe than sorry though.

Or you can open the case back and let the watch dry out

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » January 18th 2016, 9:18am

That's the first time I've heard of this happening. Most Gees have a WR of 200 meters, so just immersing it a few times shouldn't have any effect at all. I agree with Alain, there's some sort of gasket that failed. Taking it in for service would be the best thing to do.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 9:23am

It is a Japanese market watch, Casio USA service should be able to accommodate.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » January 18th 2016, 10:43am

Don't trip- a little condensation forms sometimes with extreme temp and / or humidity changes; you definitely want to get rid of it so the dial, text and whatnot won't eventually be effected. Especially if repairing it will cost you, try leaving the watch in a ziplock with a couple of bags of silica gel for 2 or 3 days- use more if they are the really small ones. If the circumference of the spot is reduced when you get it cold after a few days, just pop it back into the bag till it's gone.

If you still have the same sized spot after a few days, she's got to go in.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 18th 2016, 11:05am

3Flushes wrote:Don't trip- a little condensation forms sometimes with extreme temp and / or humidity changes; you definitely want to get rid of it so the dial, text and whatnot won't eventually be effected. Especially if repairing it will cost you, try leaving the watch in a ziplock with a couple of bags of silica gel for 2 or 3 days- use more if they are the really small ones. If the circumference of the spot is reduced when you get it cold after a few days, just pop it back into the bag till it's gone.

Possibly, but there should be no moisture inside this watch at all. Getting rid of what's in there right now (while sound advice) doesn't address how it got there in the first place. It didn't leave the factory like that, so that means the case was breached somehow. Only a service will address this, otherwise fatman is doomed! Doomed, I say! Without immediate service by an authorized Casio center it will lead to despair and and appalling quality of life!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 11:18am

conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:Don't trip- a little condensation forms sometimes with extreme temp and / or humidity changes; you definitely want to get rid of it so the dial, text and whatnot won't eventually be effected. Especially if repairing it will cost you, try leaving the watch in a ziplock with a couple of bags of silica gel for 2 or 3 days- use more if they are the really small ones. If the circumference of the spot is reduced when you get it cold after a few days, just pop it back into the bag till it's gone.

Possibly, but there should be no moisture inside this watch at all. Getting rid of what's in there right now (while sound advice) doesn't address how it got there in the first place. It didn't leave the factory like that, so that means the case was breached somehow. Only a service will address this, otherwise fatman is doomed! Doomed, I say! Without immediate service by an authorized Casio center it will lead to despair and and appalling quality of life!!

I will look in the manual when j get home for a service center but the only one in the states I could find from Casio site was a place in Hawaii.

I will get it serviced. I don't want the movement to get thrashed until I get my 250 bones worth out of it.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » January 18th 2016, 11:23am

I have it on good authority that foggy crystals are merely plastic out gassing, thus perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. There's a very long thread at WIT about this very problem.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 18th 2016, 12:13pm

fatman wrote:
conjurer wrote:

I will look in the manual when j get home for a service center but the only one in the states I could find from Casio site was a place in Hawaii.

I will get it serviced. I don't want the movement to get thrashed until I get my 250 bones worth out of it.

The service center will not be able to remove all of the air from the watch, therefore, all of the naturally occurring vapor in the air can't be removed. Given the spot disappears as soon as the watch warms up, I think what's cooking is that the temp in your watch is reaching the dew point (about 5C and below) turning the vapor to minute droplets inside. When the watch warms up a little bit, the vapor returns to a gas and re-takes it's proper place with the air. If the watch is under warranty and it won't cost you anything to send it in, by all means. As long as the vapor disappears when the watch warms up, the silica gel deal should work fine. - Leave the crown open, leave it someplace warm with the silica bags and it should reduce the vapor inside enough to fix the issue - hell - you can always pay in a couple of days if it don't work.

EDIT to add: One can also take a hairdryer to a vapensated watch. Use low speed and low heat, you can diffuse it a little bit with something if you'd like. Give it a minute and then put the back on while air is still blowing into the back. I have never tried this method, but recall reading something somewhere, or hearing something from someone, or I could just be confabyou- convolut -making it up. But I do know, don't apply heat to closed / sealed watch.

@ conj a little histrionic this fine holiday morning, eh? You must be writing and drinking early today. :lol:
Last edited by 3Flushes on January 18th 2016, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 12:28pm

Thanks Flushes, I will try the silica gel for a few days and then take it back outside when it's cold. We will see what happens then. I don't have a point of sale receipt so Casio probably won't honor a warranty.

@TZ, if this watch were Swiss made then j could understand the out gassing but since it's a Japanese watch assembled in Malaysia I doubt I would have the luxury of just an out gassing problem.

:)
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » January 18th 2016, 12:35pm

If you don't have silica gel you can always use uncooked white rice.

Let us know how it turns out.

My money is on the gasket getting stiff due to the cold?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 1:03pm

I just got off the phone with Casio tech support. They said that some fogging with extreme temp changes was normal since the case isn't pressurized. As long as it goes away within a couple minutes then I shouldn't worry. But they said they would look it over if j wanted to send it in.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » January 18th 2016, 1:23pm

fatman wrote:I just got off the phone with Casio tech support. They said that some fogging with extreme temp changes was normal since the case isn't pressurized. As long as it goes away within a couple minutes then I shouldn't worry. But they said they would look it over if j wanted to send it in.

For a price! And I hear the prices at a Japanese factory shop are pretty much in line with the Swiss, the Germans, and whonot.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 4:00pm

Well I guess if I would have read the manual I might have remembered what I read and not started this thread. Then again I may have read that manual and its English language written in cricket size.
FFS!
Third dot down.

I didn't notice this trait last year if it indeed happened last winter.

Thank you guys for the input today.
You should have heard the Casio woman talking watch jargon. Kinda sexy. :D
Last edited by fatman on January 18th 2016, 4:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » January 18th 2016, 4:01pm

fatman wrote:I just got off the phone with Casio tech support. They said that some fogging with extreme temp changes was normal since the case isn't pressurized. As long as it goes away within a couple minutes then I shouldn't worry. But they said they would look it over if j wanted to send it in.

OK, I stand corrected!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 4:08pm

conjurer wrote:

OK, I stand corrected!

I told the tech lady that I was discussing the problem on a watch forum and had differing opinions and she said both are good advice. Better safe than sorry is exactly what she said.
It would go to a service center in Dover N. J. If I sent it in for work.
It's a G, I'll keep working it.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » January 18th 2016, 4:24pm

fatman wrote:... You should have heard the Casio woman talking watch jargon. Kinda sexy. :D

Please continue...
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 18th 2016, 4:29pm

Racer-X wrote:
fatman wrote:... You should have heard the Casio woman talking watch jargon. Kinda sexy. :D

Please continue...

Yup. This is where the whole story suddenly becomes interesting! We want transcripts, pics, the whole lot. And we want it PDQ!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » January 18th 2016, 4:37pm

conjurer wrote:
Racer-X wrote:

Please continue...

Yup. This is where the whole story suddenly becomes interesting! We want transcripts, pics, the whole lot. And we want it PDQ!!

I'm hoping for a new fappin' tape! I just got a new Pringles can, although, I'm considering switching to a Lay's Stax container- the tapered sides are kinda nice.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » January 18th 2016, 5:57pm

She said case,crystal,gasket,case back, module and G-Shock with a sexy, authoritative and knowledgable tone.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » January 18th 2016, 6:05pm

fatman wrote:She said case,crystal,gasket,case back, module and G-Shock with a sexy, authoritative and knowledgable tone.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » January 18th 2016, 11:15pm

GODAMMIT! I need a tape; I can kinda hear her voice, but all I can picture is fatman on his goddam backho.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Next

Return to G-Shock