Smartwatch sales decline - Apple by 55%

Digital and Smart watches

Smartwatch sales decline - Apple by 55%

Postby koimaster » July 28th 2016, 2:10pm

The Apple Watch saw a sharp year-over-year drop in sales, according to IDC estimates, but it still leads in overall smartwatch market share.

IDC’s smartwatch sales estimates for the second quarter of 2016 are in, and the news isn’t great, particularly for Apple.

According to IDC’s latest report, worldwide smartwatch sales slumped 32 percent in the second quarter of 2016, when compared to the same period last year. Much of the drop is due to an apparent decline in Apple Watch sales, according to IDC. The research firm estimates that Apple shipped 1.6 million smartwatches in the quarter, down from 3.6 million a year earlier.

Overall, smartwatch makers shipped a total of 3.5 million devices in the April-to-June quarter, IDC says. That compares to a total of 5.1 million in the year-ago quarter.

(Disclaimer: IDC is owned by IDG, our parent company, but it has no editorial ties to this publication whatsoever.)

Although Apple remains the top-selling smartwatch vendor, it was the only one of the top five smartwatch makers to see a drop in sales: Samsung, Lenovo, LG, and Garmin all saw significant growth, percentage-wise, according to IDC.

Despite all this, Apple maintains a large lead in terms of market share, with a 47-percent chunk of the proverbial pie. Although that’s down from the 72-percent market share the company commanded a year earlier, Samsung, the next closest company in terms of sales, holds down only 16 percent.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3098900/ ... -time.html

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/22/news/co ... es-report/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Smartwatch sales decline - Apple by 55%

Postby TemerityB » July 28th 2016, 2:23pm

There's a lot I could say, but I don't wanna get fog's feathers in a bunch.

Ahh, screw it - the damn thing was overpriced from the word go.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » July 28th 2016, 5:11pm

I'd be surprised if the smartwatch thing is ever more than a niche product going forward.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » July 28th 2016, 5:38pm

TemerityB wrote:There's a lot I could say, but I don't wanna get fog's feathers in a bunch.

My son-in-law bought one when they came out. I think he was a bit disappointed that I wasn't excited. To me, it's just an expensive digital watch, and I would have been far more impressed, and excited, if he had bought a vintage Texas Instruments.
Ah well. The whole Apple thing is kinda lost on me.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » July 28th 2016, 6:42pm

Tzimisces wrote:
TemerityB wrote:There's a lot I could say, but I don't wanna get fog's feathers in a bunch.

My son-in-law bought one when they came out. I think he was a bit disappointed that I wasn't excited. To me, it's just an expensive digital watch, and I would have been far more impressed, and excited, if he had bought a vintage Texas Instruments.

Interestingly, I've seen a lot of people wearing 'em. At least they're not as stupid looking as those old Bluetooth earpieces, or as unutterably, Wagnerianly ghey as Fitbits.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 28th 2016, 9:24pm

conjurer wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:

Interestingly, I've seen a lot of people wearing 'em. At least they're not as stupid looking as those old Bluetooth earpieces, or as unutterably, Wagnerianly ghey as Fitbits.

I have had a couple of people say they find the battery life really limiting on the Applewatch. Until those basic issues are fixed it doesn't seem like its going to have the sort of impact watches and phones themselves have had.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » July 28th 2016, 9:38pm

conjurer wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:

Yet.....I see Fitbits everywhere. My wife has one. Virtually every female I know has one. Or a Michael Kors watch. Or both.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » July 28th 2016, 10:07pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:

Yet.....I see Fitbits everywhere. My wife has one. Virtually every female I know has one. Or a Michael Kors watch. Or both.

Yup. Most of the broads ladies I know wear a Fitbit. The men I see wearing them, however, seem to wear tight trousers and drive Miatas.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby oak1971 » September 1st 2016, 2:03pm

Cue the Apple defenders.
oak1971
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » September 1st 2016, 2:10pm

....all of you....in the ear....with great vigor

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » September 1st 2016, 2:11pm

I hate to say it but....he,he,he (sorry, coulnd't help myself)
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby WatchDorks.Net » September 1st 2016, 2:20pm

The smartwatch is the Chinese tourbillon for the masses: a neat doo-dad whirlygig that everyone gets excited about, the train gains momentum, everyone wants to be part of the "it" thing... and then eventually people wake one morning, realize they either don't use the thing or it's a pain in the ass, and reflect "I spent WHAT on this?" and consumer enthusiasm fizzles.

Smartwatch... a solution in search of a problem.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » September 1st 2016, 6:54pm

This decline will end when the Apple Watch 2 lands sometime soon.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » September 1st 2016, 7:17pm

artman wrote:This decline will end when the Apple Watch 2 lands sometime soon.

Yep. The iSheep are definitely predictable.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 1st 2016, 7:19pm

artman wrote:This decline will end when the Apple Watch 2 lands sometime soon.

Really? From Fortune, two days ago:

Why More Than 80% of iPhone Owners Don't Want the Next Apple Watch

Apple’s current iPhone owners just don’t want the next version of the Apple Watch, according to a new study.

Approximately 83% of current iPhone owners have no interest in buying the next Apple Watch, believed to be known as the Apple Watch 2, according to app and mobile shopping company Branding Brand in a recent survey. However, the company added that 39% of iPhone owners would change their minds and buy an Apple Watch 2 if Apple cut the price on its wearable.

A whopping 33% of iPhone owners say “nothing” could be done to make them want to buy Apple Watch 2.

http://fortune.com/2016/08/31/iphone-ow ... ple-watch/
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » September 1st 2016, 7:47pm

Review. Short, sweet and graphic. Compliments of Techcrunch.com.

So eloquent I would not presume to add anything.

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » September 1st 2016, 7:48pm

*smirk*
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SN13 » September 2nd 2016, 5:02am

Good.

Fuck that Pajama Boy watch.

SN13
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Digital Watches