The Very First Smartwatch: Behold The HP-01

Digital and Smart watches

The Very First Smartwatch: Behold The HP-01

Postby koimaster » May 12th 2016, 7:24pm

Throwback To The Past: it is 1977, quartz watches are still less than 10 years old; it's the year Star Wars hit theaters for the first time... and you are actually looking at, not a piece of science fiction, but what is nothing less than the most technically advanced wristwatch ever produced. Whether you love or hate what electronics have meant in watchmaking, there's no doubt that the development of electrical and electronic timepieces, from very early electrical pendulum clocks of the early 19th century to the first quartz clocks of the 1920s, to experimental electromechanical watches in the 1950s and '60s, changed horology forever. Today the word "smart watch" is one we all know, but this was the very first of that breed, from nearly 40 years ago. Whatever you may have thought the earliest smart watch was, I bet you were not expecting this marvelously geeky instrument (especially not from a vintage enthusiast who covers your weekly Bring A Loupe!). Let's review, from Hewlett Packard, the intriguing and amazingly sophisticated HP-01.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/smartwatch-HP-01

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Very First Smartwatch: Behold The HP-01

Postby Hawk » May 13th 2016, 6:32am

Definitely more svelte than my favorite from the prior era.

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Re: The Very First Smartwatch: Behold The HP-01

Postby Mortuus » May 13th 2016, 9:53am

I like that'n, Hawk! And I bet if you put that up for sale over at WIT as the newest Invicter, the fapping gibbons over there would line up to buy it! :?
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Digital Watches