Apple Watch Slashed To $299

Digital and Smart watches

Apple Watch Slashed To $299

Postby TemerityB » March 21st 2016, 5:25pm

Consumers eyeing an Apple Watch will now be able to save a bit of money.

At its iPhone event on Monday, Apple announced a price cut for its smartwatch, trimming the starting price to $299, from $349. That's the first price cut for the wearable device since Apple introduced it a year ago.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watch-st ... 50-to-299/
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Apple Watch Slashed To $299

Postby bedlam » March 21st 2016, 9:05pm

At $99 I'm still not in
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » March 22nd 2016, 12:14am

bedlam wrote:At $99 I'm still not in

I would have a go for 99, nothing higher though.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » March 22nd 2016, 8:34am

Yup. To me, a day without a good real watch on the wrist is a day wasted. You couldn't pay me to wear one of those pieces of fucking shit.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » March 22nd 2016, 8:39am

conjurer wrote:

Yup. To me, a day without a good real watch on the wrist is a day wasted. You couldn't pay me to wear one of those pieces of fucking shit.

Same here..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » March 22nd 2016, 9:38am

Yuh, yuh - even at .99.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » March 22nd 2016, 9:47am

Y'all are just heyterz

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Beau nidle » May 6th 2016, 7:25am

I just ordered one :-) and one for the Wife.

Well.... she wanted one of those hideous Fitbit things with a watchface so convinced her to go for an AW instead. And if I have to buy one for her then dammit I'm having one too :D

...good news is that if she bonds with it then I might get my Breitling Colt back off her wrist :mrgreen:
Beau nidle
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » May 6th 2016, 7:47am

Next thing you know this exclusive wartch will be selling at Kohls, TJ Maxx and a online liquidator near you.

Reminds me of the Bulova "moon watch" exclusivity....
Last edited by codguy on May 6th 2016, 9:34am, edited 1 time in total.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Steelhead » May 6th 2016, 8:24am

It's strange how people get so worked up about this. Like it's impossible to just say "meh, not for me". Instead we get "IT'S AN ABOMINATION! IT'S FUCKING EVIL!!"
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Beau nidle » May 6th 2016, 8:33am

I'm not at all precious about smart watches, had the first Pebble and then the Pebble Steel. Both great tools especially when out on my bike. Phone starts ringing in my pocket as I'm pushing up a hill - do I stop, dig out the phone and then find it's my wife asking if I could remember cousin Gladys' birthday? Nope, I look at my wrist, press end call and shove her to voicemail.

I have a small, but (in my eyes) beautiful collection of Swiss and German automatics. Likelihood of these being pushed off my wrist by a tiny iPhone for more than an 'every now and then'? Not likely. Do I want one for cycling and such? Yeah, what the hell!

Now that stupid TAG offer where they will drop in a mechanical movement for you in a few years (not for free mind) - shit no.

Apple watch is essentially a disposable item - look at it like that then all good in my book. Somehow doubt I'll be giving it to my eighteen year old son on his birthday in fifteen years and telling him the story of how I hid that watch in my ass to keep it from the guards. One of my Tudors or GOs or Breitlings? Far more likely :D
Beau nidle
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MAX » May 6th 2016, 9:58am

Apple free household here. Always was, always will be.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » May 6th 2016, 10:05am

Not only am I Apple-free here, I don't even have a smartphone. I hate cellphones with a passion; the only reason I have one (a flip-phone!) is because Mrs. C throws a fit if I don't have one laying around for emergencies. I keep it in my car, turned off. I'm one of the old dinosaurs who has a land-line, with an answering machine. I get home and check my messages, and if, say, Colin Powell has called and needs my opinion for Middle East peace, I can always call him back.

I like the fact that I'm not "connected" for a lot of my life. I'm not that important, and I like it that way.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Darksider » May 6th 2016, 10:05am

My cheap ($12.00) smart watch which I purchased to see how they function and then threw into a drawer.

20160410_092631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darksider
Founder

Postby TemerityB » May 6th 2016, 4:38pm

All this connectivity is a wonderful thing.

All this connectivity sucks.

As a New Yorker, I only know one thing that's a fact: The subways and buses are about 80 percent less noisy now - everyone has their nose in a tablet or phone. I've yet to see anyone actually use an iWatch, but I wouldn't doubt they're part of the mix now.

As a New Yorker, I know one thing for a fact. Everyone has high blood pressure; too many of my associates, friends, and co-workers are jangled, frenzied messes. Cripes, even my wife is the same way - she loves to watch TV after a hard day's work, but it's always with the fucking iPad on her lap as she does two things at once. And checks her work e-mail. And pays the bills.

When I was a kid, when I wanted to hear music, I'd switch on a radio or play a record. Now, to millions, music is what you listen to while you're doing something else. The music biz, which has been much of my life the last 25 years, has barely survived the digital age for a myriad of reasons - when MP3 files became the choice of most music listeners, nobody could figure out how to get paid for their work. One of my own record labels has never even paid me a cent for work I did years ago, and it's all in print. But that's not the worst of it - compressed music files sound like ass. Most people now, instead of investing in high fidelity sound systems, listen through ear buds or a small Bluetooth speaker - while they're watching TV or messing with their phone at the same time. High fidelity? Wasn't that a Michael Douglas movie or something?

Which brings us back to Apple watches, an extension of an extension of multi-tasking. Yeah, great, we're all gonna be able to reserve a table at a restaurant while we figure out how many calories we're going to consume while we keep track of how many steps we're going to take to get to the restaurant, while we check our text messages and call the missus, while we price compare with that tiny fucking browser to make sure we're gonna get the best deal on chicken cordon bleu. Nice.

I think we're all being hypnotized by silicon diodes, a slave to whatever the next new big fancy expensive gadget is going to be. Here's proof: When Apple came out with a line of iPhones that were in lighter cases, making them less expensive, the new phones didn't sell well - because people wanted to only buy the most expensive models lest people find out they have the cheaper ones. In other words, they're in this iWorld only because, well, like Evine buyers, they do what they're told.

We're all getting to much data, all at once, all the time. Just give me a watch that tells the time, maybe day-date. That'll do.

When i got home from work today, first thing I did was put my coat on the hook, walk to the couch, and stare at the wall for about 45 minutes.

Ya oughta try it. I'd text you and tell you that, but my watch only tells time.
Last edited by TemerityB on May 6th 2016, 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » May 6th 2016, 5:40pm

I have an iphone, mostly because my wife got me one. I am indifferent to tech gadgets, though she loves them. I find it useful to access the internet wherever I want whenever I want, but I'm one of those guys who curse about the phone "ringing constantly" if I get two calls in a day.
I check my email once a month or so, much to my wife's irritation.
I have, however, discovered the joys of itunes. My daughter hooked me up with her account, which means I can download whatever I want at no cost. My Frank Zappa catalog is where it was circa 1988, when we still listened to vinyl.
The world changes, and leaves most of us behind. Kids experience the art, information, indeed the world, differently than we did. I am amazed at the almost instinctive ease with which even small children use electronics.
Imagine what it will be, in another 50 yrs. Still, I like books, brass clockwork and bakelite.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Digital Watches