Inside Breitling's USA Headquarters

Inside Breitling's USA Headquarters

Postby koimaster » May 31st 2016, 10:27am

Breitling’s U.S. headquarters are about an hour north of New York City in the quiet Connecticut town of Wilton. Until recently, this office was the nerve center for all the company’s North American operations. Breitling not long ago opened a Canadian office in Toronto to serve the brand north of the border.

From the outside the Breitling HQ betrays little of the activity inside. But with a large, newly built (metallic) wing, it’s clear that there’s room for quite a few workers inside.

Recently I toured Breitling’s headquarters to get an idea of the scope of the firm’s U.S. operation. Visitors can stop by to inquire about a repair or drop off a watch for maintenance, but are not generally offered a tour. But as a collector and iW contributor, I was able to see what happens behind the scenes at Breitling’s U.S. headquarters.

Here’s what I saw.

Familiar surroundings

I entered through the main doors of original building, which can only be opened by someone at the front desk. Once inside, a visitor is immersed in a world of aviation familiar to Breitling fans who may have visited one of the brand’s boutiques. Model planes hang from the ceiling. Nearby is Kevin Kelly’s well-known Bombing Betty statue, familiar to boutique visitors.

My tour began with a quick viewing of a large collection of new watches, all heavily secured behind armored doors. All the walls within the vault are covered with small yellow drawers containing just watch heads. Each section of the wall is dedicated to a specific collection of watches while subsections within them are for different metal types.

http://iwmagazine.com/news-and-now/2016 ... ign=buffer

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Inside Breitling's USA Headquarters

Postby TemerityB » May 31st 2016, 10:33am

Wilton's an hour north of NYC? By what, a Star Trek transporter? I can't get past the intro.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » May 31st 2016, 11:27am

TemerityB wrote:Wilton's an hour north of NYC? By what, a Star Trek transporter? I can't get past the intro.

But you can stop in Cos Cob on the way.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » May 31st 2016, 3:02pm

TemerityB wrote:Wilton's an hour north of NYC? By what, a Star Trek transporter? I can't get past the intro.

MetroNorth will take you from Wilton to midtown in about 90 minutes, is about 50 miles from the City, not too far
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 31st 2016, 5:44pm

eddiea wrote:

MetroNorth will take you from Wilton to midtown in about 90 minutes, is about 50 miles from the City, not too far

Given current NYC metro traffic patterns, I honestly and with a straight face believe that drive, on a regular workday, would take the better part of two hours (or more). I have a brother in law in CT and it's the drive from hell visiting him, every time.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Breitling